[MOD] Eusebius World Religions

Eusebius

Warlord
This thread has been superceded. Click HERE to go to the thread for REVIVAL

OVERVIEW: Mod incorporates all real-world religions with more than a million members. Each religion is set up independently with its own unique traits and set of buildings. Spread of a religion can convert/eliminate other religions.

Now WARLORDS compatible!

View the revised tech tree: View attachment EWR-TechTree.pdf
View the information about each religion: View attachment EWR-Religions.pdf

Project Status

November 3, 2006 - version .41
 Updated for Warlords patch 2.08
 Bug fixes

Happy CIVing,
Eusebius

CHANGE LOG
  • October 10, 2006: Releasing v0.40
     Fixed the first bug reported by Pintadvs (couldn’t recreate the other). Fixed the bug not allowing Catholic Founding reported by Winner.
     Altered the spread of religions so that they don’t spread to other areas/continents (unless you have a city of the same civ there).
     Created SDK mod that should solve the problem with all the AIs adopting worldviews as their state religion. See separate readme.
  • September 15, 2006: Releasing v0.30
  •  Fixed all bugs reported on the forum (and a few that weren’t.) Thanks to Tlucky4life, Ploperpenegel and Ket.
     Tuned the mechanisms for religion spread and conversion. Working much better now.
     Changed things so that founding Christianity requires Judaism to have been founded (but not to be present in the city). Similarly, Islam requires Christianity and Judaism to have been founded (but not to be present in the city).
     Tried to do more rigorous testing for this release. It seems to be running rather smoothly. I’m going to let this mod sit for a while and only fix whatever is reported. No more tweaking! (Plus, stay tuned for ‘Eusebius Live Animals Mod’!)
     Deleted the download link for the Ket add-on; he said he would prefer to manage it—which is easier on me anyway. Thanks!
    [*]September 11, 2006: Releasing v0.23

 Bug fixes, including the one reported about in AI_doDiplo. (Once in a while I wish Python were compiled so it would tell me when I do things like call functions from the wrong class without having to execute that particular line of code.)
     At his suggestion, released a version of 0.23 as an add-on to “Ket's Unaltered But Flavorful Gameplay Mod”. Just install his mod and then copy my directory tree over his. Yanked the Fort Zone of Control from the Ket add-on (but not the vanilla 0.23 release).
     Deleted the download link for the 1.61 version—I’ve found too many bugs since then.
    [*]September 3, 2006: Releasing v0.22.

 Fixed the bugs reported on the forum. Thanks all!
     Adjusted the spread of religions early in the game (and fixed a bug in that code). Now all cities in the same civilization are considered “connected” to each other. I noticed that after I found Confucianism that it started spreading to other civs before my own cities.
     Has nothing to do with religion, but I added the Fort Zone of Control mod. (1.) I wanted it in my test games . (2.) It shouldn’t trouble anyone since it is turned off by default—see the detailed INI file. (3.) It got me the code for reading INI files which I think I will eventually want.
    [*]August 27, 2006: Releasing v0.21. I apologize for all the bugs in 0.20—I seem to have found most of them before you all did (whew!). Spent most of the weekend relaxing and playing a game with my own mod, which allowed me to do a lot of testing and fixing. I think this is stable enough to call beta at this point. Fixes include…

 Found that bug reported way back where single-civ religions spread to other civs.
     Added a popup acknowledgement to the ALT-E command to dump religion infos to the log.
     Arranged for a popup whenever an exception occurred so I always know about them right when they happen.
     I think I finally licked my problem with variables not being initialized some of the time—added some event handlers to do this.
     Incorporated repaired font files contributed by Roamty. Thanks!
     Since I used some other code that was covered under the GNU public license, the whole mod now is too. See ‘copying.txt’. (Maybe we should add Richard Stallman as a great scientist?)
    [*]August 24: Version 0.20 Warlords conversion & converted events handlers to DrEJib’s model. Versions from now on will only work with Warlords.
    [*]August 11: Version 0.12. Fixed problems reported with Holy City not being created and some other bugs. Unable to reproduce spread of Hinduism beyond home culture (without missionaries or Free Religion). Feature: Pressing ALT-E will dump a log of all the religion information in the game to the debug log.
    [*]July 30: Version 0.11 update. Fixed the problem reported by Cosmic Fool; all the icons should work now. Also tuned the parameters of religion spread and conversion. I think it is significantly improved.
    [*]July 23, 2006: Version 0.10. I’m finally going to stop tinkering and put out an alpha version (0.1) I’m getting pretty happy with the code at this point. The great prophet flow seems about right and religions tend to appear roughly the time they should in my test games. I am hoping for some feedback on the parameters of the mod: “Do religions spread about the right rate?” “Do they convert each other often enough/too often?”, etc.

Eusebius World Religions

If You Get an Exception Popup
Please e-mail me your saved game and the log file Pythonerr2.log along with any relevant information.

B]User Interface Changes[/b]
The main city screen now only shows religions actually present in the city. The religion screen only shows religions that you can convert to.

Civic Changes
Changed the name of ‘Paganism’ to ‘Animism’—no functional change. ‘Police State’ only gives a bonus to military unit production if the state religion is present in the city. ‘Theocracy’ does prevent the normal spread of religions, but it does not prevent missionary activity or the spread of worldviews.

Quick Overview of Religion Technologies
Divine Appeasement ------à Ordained Social Order à Universalism
\
\-----------à Divine Patronage à Ordained Government à Prophet-King

{No religious tech assumes an animism where you are completely at the mercy of spirits with no control over what happens to you.}

Divine Appeasement: Can appease the gods with sacrifices made in temples by priests. Generic ‘pagan’ Temple not associated with any specific religion. Gain access to civic Slavery. This is the perquisite for the other religious technologies; it requires Masonry and Mysticism.

Divine Patronage: God(s) is actually on your side. Gain access to Theocracy civic. (Think: religion supports government.)

Ordained Government: God(s) sponsors your government which works closely with your religious hierarchy. Gain access to civic Organized
Religion. (Think: government supports religion.)

Prophet-King: Your political leader speaks God’s word. Gain access to civic Police State. (Think: Government and religion are synonymous.)

Ordained Social Order: God(s) defines the social classes in your culture. Gain access to civic Caste System. First to discover founds Hinduism.

Universalism: God(s) have a plan for working out the salvation/enlightenment of everyone in the world. Gain access to civic Pacifism.

Worldviews
I am implementing three Worldviews
which are kind of like religions, but act somewhat differently. They are Hellenism (representing individualistic, Western thought), MesoAmericanism (representing all native American thought) and Confucianism (representing eastern thought). These do not so much represent religious beliefs as basic ways of looking at things. For example, Europeans who came to North and South America had very different views of what it meant to own/use land than did the native peoples who were already here. A given city can only ever possess one worldview; they are mutually exclusive. The worldview makes the spread of different religions to that city either easier or harder. I kind of feel bad for leaving out an African worldview, but it seems to me that theirs is the default value before there is any religion—an animistic valuing of the world where everything is considered to be alive.

Hidden Diplomacy
Several factors, including similarities and differences in worldview can affect your diplomatic standing with other civs. Possessing "The Papacy" improves your standing with Christians and Catholics. Possessing "The Shrine of Imam Reza" worsens your standing with Islamic (Sunni) nations because you have founded Shia.
BUG: These diplomatic factors are implemented with AI_setAttitudeExtra. This means that if you incorporate this mod into another mod that uses this function, your changes from your other mod or scenario will probably get wiped out. Moreover, changes wrought by this function will not show up in the tally that explains why a civ likes/dislikes you—but they are there nonetheless.
Founding Religions
I am dissatisfied with the default Civ IV method of founding a religion based on a technology and then having a great prophet build a shrine. Religions seem to get founded in a lot of ways and this mod reflects that. Ancient religions seem to spring up out of a culture and largely stay within that culture. Two modern examples survive: Hinduism and Shintoism. In this mod, they are founded automatically under certain conditions.
Classical religions generally have a nameable founder and are more likely to spread beyond their home culture (civilization) through missionary activity. In this mod, they require a Great Prophet and a perquisite technology to be founded. Some religions (including the WorldViews) are founded upon construction of a wonder.

Different Ways for Religions to Spread
  • Settlers bring it with them. (Settlers will have religion randomly selected from all those in their city—equal chance of having "no religion" too)
  • Brought by conquest—state religion of conqueror spreads to city.
  • Brought by peaceful missionary activity--most effective when religion arises out of another religion. Note that not all religions have missionaries!
The Religions are Different
There are three sets of Commerces (coin, beaker, culture) associated with each religion. One is for all cities with the religion; one is for just the holy city; one is for cities with the religion when that religion is your state religion. In Civ IV, these are all the same. In this mod, they are all different. Also, not all religions have each type of religious building (temple, monastery, cathedral, shrine). Check the tables at the end of this document for details for each religion.

When the religion encounters another religion, what happens?

1. Hostility. {Give high bonus to state religion culture}
  2. Competition/Coexistence. {default}
  3. Religion adapts itself to new religion (Syncretism). {Give high bonus to global culture}
Is the religion ethno-centric? (Is religion exclusively centered in a particular ethnic group?)
If so, we will inhibit its ability to expand beyond one civilization in the game, but give a bonus to the cultural output of its buildings.

The religion food-chain
Many, many religions arise out of other religions and make their initial set of converts out of that successor religion. In this mod, religious buildings of successor religions will sometimes convert to the new religion. The chain looks something like this…

Generic Pagan Temple will convert to most anything

Hinduism à Jainism
à Sikhism

Judaism à Christianity à Modern Catholicism
à Protestantism
à Islam (may be founded if Judaism or Christianity is present in city)

Shinto à Tenrikyo

Confucianism à Taoism

Stand-alones: Zoroastrianism, Cao Dai, Buddhism, Secularism, Bahai
(If you have never heard of some of these religions, remember that the great god, "Google", knows all.)

NOTE: When a city is conquered, the state religion of the new owner may destroy existing religious buildings. For example, Islam and Judaism tend to take a dim view of polytheistic religions and their idols. If, through conversion and/or conquest, a city ceases to have any buildings of a particular religion, then that religion ceases to have any influence in that city.

Concerning Atheism: This topic has generated a lot of interest in a lot of threads (which still amazes me). I finally settled on a generic ‘Secularism’ which is an amalgam of Marxism, secular humanism and Juche. On the religion food chain, secularism can convert temples back to pagan temples and destroy monasteries.

Concerning NeoPaganism: Most figures give this religion less than the requisite number of a million followers. They also don’t generally have buildings, so I don’t know how well making this "religion" would work out in game terms. I think that the combination of the civics Environmentalism and Freedom of Religion represents this group adequately.

Changes to Existing Buildings

• Obelisk gives a +1 to generate Great Prophet
  • Pyramid does what Parthenon used to do.
  • Parthenon does what Pyramid used to do. It also founds Hellenism.
  • Oracle gives a free great prophet instead of a free technology.
  • Chichen Itza allows Environmentalism instead of giving the defensive bonus. It also founds MesoAmericanism.
  • Forbidden Palace does what Versailles used to do. It also founds Confucianism.
  • East India Company does what Forbidden Palace used to do.
Credits:
My thanks go to all the people contributing to CivFanatics.com. I never would have figured out some of this stuff without the rich resources of the forums and other people’s modes to draw from. Pieces of the following Mods are included in this one…

• [*]Classical Religion by Fenceman
    [*]Settler Religion by Bhruic
    [*]Shinto Mod by Dual
    [*]True Prophets Tom "Kidinnu" Hudson
Of these, I need to give a special tribute to Kidinnu. This project really started out as a mod of his mod. By this time, there isn’t much of his original code left, but his mechanism of founding religions via buildings is brilliantly flexible and his clean code helped me learn Python. Thanks Kidinnu!

the attachments ain't workin :(

Very creative mod. Although I did have one problem. The symbol for early Christianity does not show up. When I convert another civ's city to it, it merely leaves a space where the early cross should show up.

Also, I know it's not a bug but how come I did not have a holy city when I used a great prophet to found Early Christianity? (I made the Empty Tomb of Jesus)

When I checked the religions screen, I had no holy city for it but yet it was founded there. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

The Cosmic Fool said:
Very creative mod. Although I did have one problem. The symbol for early Christianity does not show up. When I convert another civ's city to it, it merely leaves a space where the early cross should show up.

Also, I know it's not a bug but how come I did not have a holy city when I used a great prophet to found Early Christianity? (I made the Empty Tomb of Jesus)

When I checked the religions screen, I had no holy city for it but yet it was founded there. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Nope, that is my bad. There is a problem in the gamefonts.tga file. you really do have a holy city, but the symbol will come up blank. I'll release a .11 version soon.

E.

Eusebius said:
Nope, that is my bad. There is a problem in the gamefonts.tga file. you really do have a holy city, but the symbol will come up blank. I'll release a .11 version soon.

E.

Problem fixed with .11 version.

That is a great concept. You wouldn't by chance be interested to help incorporating some of these codechanges into the WH Mod?
I'm long searching for a possibility to have more than 7 Religions without messing up the interface but I don't have enough poeple with programming skills in our team that would have the time.

Is this compatable with Warlords?

Ploeperpengel said:
That is a great concept. You wouldn't by chance be interested to help incorporating some of these codechanges into the WH Mod?
I'm long searching for a possibility to have more than 7 Religions without messing up the interface but I don't have enough poeple with programming skills in our team that would have the time.

I could be up for that, depending on what you need. (I do have several other mod ideas I'd like to pursue.) If all you want is the UI changes, I think you can just drop CvMainInterface.py and CvReligionScreen.py into your mod and it will work pretty well. The code I lifted from ClassicReligions made the icons smaller so more fit and my code only displays the religions that are relevant to your situation.

Did you have ideas for distinctive religions?

Eusebius

PS. This mod is v1.61 at this time Warlords in a few weeks.

UI changes? I'm no programmer but guess Olleus would understand or could you explain that for me?

Anyway I would like the functionality as far I understood your description. Our religionsystem isn't settled yet. Mainly because we tried to restrict ourselves to seven Religions because of the interface. So I guess your Modidea would be the solution.
Some Religions that are thought about are:
Sigmarism(Empire)
Lady of the Lake(Bretonnia)
Old Faith
Word of the Old Ones
Jintoism
Gork and Mork (Orcs)
Chaos(with your Mod maybe even 4 Chaos Religions: Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Nurgle)
Asurian Pantheon(Highelves, Woodelves)
Worship of Khaine(Darkelves)
Ancestor Gods(Dwarfs)
Horned Rat(Skaven)
etc.
In fact most civs we're going to include have a Religion of their own or even more than one(some overlaps)
I still wouldn't like to include all of them, that would simply be too much but still since I also read of the syncretism feature it would be interesting to let Old faith and Word of the Old Ones be absorbed in time by newer ones i.e. that means if it would work that way.
Did I get that feature correctly?

Well I will playtest it to find out myself;)

Grr. the forum just did throw me out again while writing. So again to give some more explanation.
As you see by the big but yet uncomplete list above I could definitly need the changes to the interface but I also like the way you diverse how Religions work in your Mod and believe most of that would indeed adapt very nicely to the Warhammer world. Only Orcs and Goblins evidently worship Gork and Mork and the Worldview would be a good system to set up "good", "neutral" and "evil" races. I also like that Religions aren't founded only by techs etc.
If you're interested I like to invite you to our forum(you would need to request to join via groupmemberships->WH-forum and pm me after that).
That wouldn't mean I exspect you to work for us automatically but if you see something there you like you're very welcome. Concerning Religions it's only just beginning and maybe a little chaotic right now but you will easier get an idea what problems we face.

Sorry for doubleposting.

I playtested the mod and got some issues:
I founded Judaism and Zoroastrism in my capital but didn't get a Holy City for neither, neither christianism which I also founded there. Can Religions only be founded in your capital this was my case at least.
Zoroastrism didn't spread at all and Judaism only after I made christianity my statereligion after dozens of turns I founded that.
Since I have civ in debugmode I get lots of pythonexeptions but I guess you know about them. If not ask and I can post some screenies. They don't seem to have many effect on the game.
As soon you made this thingy ready for Warlords and cleaned out the glitches I'm still very interested incorparating some of this code. Good job!:)

Ploeperpengel said:
I playtested the mod and got some issues:
I founded Judaism and Zoroastrism in my capital but didn't get a Holy City for neither, neither christianism which I also founded there. Can Religions only be founded in your capital this was my case at least.
Zoroastrism didn't spread at all and Judaism only after I made christianity my statereligion after dozens of turns I founded that.
Since I have civ in debugmode I get lots of pythonexeptions but I guess you know about them. If not ask and I can post some screenies. They don't seem to have many effect on the game.
As soon you made this thingy ready for Warlords and cleaned out the glitches I'm still very interested incorparating some of this code. Good job!:)

Ah, feedback. Thanks.

If you could send me the error and debug logs and a saved game, that would be really helpful. Shouldn't be exceptions, although there are a lot of informational lines. For the religions that weren't spreading, were you under Theocracy? That would prevent spread (even though Civopedia doesn't mention it.)

Eusebius

why did u place islam under judaism and cristianism..?Islam is independent from other religions...

why did u place islam under Judaism à Christianity à Modern Catholicism..?Islam is independent from other religions...

Top Bottom