A New Dawn - Linux compatibility

dbkblk

Emperor
Guide to play on Linux (with Wine) or MacOS (with Wine/CrossOver)

The mod should work on an emulated version of Civilization IV. This guide won't cover how to install Civ IV Windows version on these OS, just follow any other existing guide like this one (thanks to masaykh): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=541004

The launcher is compatible with Wine/Crossover with the exception of the following modules:
  • The launcher can detect updates but the updater doesn't work.
  • The Asian patch cannot be applied, you should do this manually.

Note: Under MacOS, the mod works under an emulated version of Civ IV for Windows, not with the stock Civ IV for Mac.

How to install / update the game on Linux / MacOS ?
Starting with rev913, published the 2015-03-09, the launcher and updater are 100% compatible with Linux (Wine) and MacOS (CrossOver).

How to apply the Asian patch manually ?

• Open the file "Civ4BeyondSword_Asian.tar.xz" with an archiver program, then open the .tar file inside.
  • Extract the executable inside next to the Civ IV BTS executable, in the game installation folder. You should then have Civ4BeyondSword_Asian.exe and Civ4BeyondSword.exe next to each other.
  • IF YOU USE THE EUROPEAN/US VERSION: Make a symbolic link of the folder "Beyond the Sword" and call it "Beyond the Sword(J)". Make the same for "Warlords" and call it "Warlords(J)". Then, in the folder "My Games", in "My Documents", make a symbolic link of "Beyond the sword" and call it "Beyond the Sword(J)".
  • IF YOU USE THE JAPANESE VERSION (FROM CYBERFRONT): In the folder "My Games", in "My Documents", make a symbolic link of "Beyond the sword(J)" and call it "Beyond the Sword".
  • The launcher should now be able to launch the Chinese, Korean and Japanese versions of the expansion pack.

I can only give my Experience.

I have a 64 Bit desktop system.
1 Gig Graphics card *Minimum for Gigantic maps*
Memory 4 gig is you limit, so 64 Gig won't make a difference.

Play wise, I play under Linux, no virtual machine, no dual boot.

I have a detailed explanation in my signature. The only thing I haven't updated is the Bug mod and Beyond the Sword as a standalone isn't working, but the Mod does??? Now has been updated and noted on correct loading. 64 Bit is slightly different to mods readme, I've noted this as well.

Really I don't even play Beyond the sword, I've loaded other mods.

Desktop, will usually be more powerful, unless you have the latest Games laptop.

Horses for courses, if you want to use laptop on couch, in park, more power to you. Me I sit at my desk, with my park view out the window. *Much better then the back bedroom view over the neighbours rooftop, facing Westerly* HOT!!!!!!

- Updated first page with instructions for Linux and MacOS players -

Throwing in my 2 cents, the mod is pretty easy to install under Play On Linux (wine) and works without any special configuration or issues. No problems on Ubuntu 14.10 x64.

I really really wish I could compile under linux too. I tried to get Visual Studio, or even just the linker and nmake exe's to work under wine, but never could. I ended up having to set up a virtualbox vm w/Windows Enterprise that I have scripts to invoke MSBuild.exe to compile a DLL for me.

Oh well. Still better than using native windows.

- Updated sentence about Linux and MacOS compatibility -

I don't have a mac but this is a nice information. Do you emulate our mod under Mac ?

Top Bottom