Abandoning Cities

That said, I have thought about the ability to temporarily disable buildings. The code to make that work already exists, so it would be much simpler.

That would be even better. I was thinking about removing the effects of a building more than selling it for the gold. For example, there are times when I want to shut off a power plant since I lost access to health resources, or closing the Recruitment Center when my nation is not preparing for war.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13748581 said:
Dismantling a building could be useful if I want to get rid of warhead factory for example, with its meltdown risk

Disabling a building would have the same effect.

I think though, being able to disable a building like a Nuclear Plant or anything with a meltdown chance is cheating, because you could just toggle them active whenever you needed them. The idea would need to be considered carefully.

I think though, being able to disable a building like a Nuclear Plant or anything with a meltdown chance is cheating, because you could just toggle them active whenever you needed them. The idea would need to be considered carefully.
You're right, I didn't think about it.

So maybe certain buildings could be marked with a "Can be disabled" tag - those buildings for which disabling is possible wouldn't be regarded as cheating. A power plant, I imagine, wouldn't be cheating, but maybe the Recruitment Center and Warhead Factory is. Those buildings have a certain negative effect that is permanent with the city and specializes it (choose carefully what you build), whereas the power plant is a building that is standard in the later game.

I dunno, I kind of agree that toggling buildings could be something exploited though after reading and thinking about this.

I'm not offended. I'm not really interested in providing advance warning for all changes. It's great to get feedback, but design by committee tends to yield over-complicated solutions. Let's just say I see great appeal in dictatorships. I also think when there is disagreement, there should be discussion, so I am fine with a thread like this, and if more players are upset, they should speak up and say so. Players have the right to free speech (broadly speaking, within the rules of cfc). But the ultimate decision remains with the modding team here.

I do think its important to point out that us developers are not modding for fans though. I have never seen a paycheck, you aren't our customers, there is no contract between us, so I have no obligations. That doesn't mean we don't care what users think. But it does mean we do not have to make decisions they want. We can't please everyone, nor do we have to.

I think broadly, the goal of RAND is to create a finely polished mod with minimal bugs, a strong AI for civilization 4. I don't think giving players extra advantages over the AI fits into these goals anywhere.

You can take comfort in knowing that fans would pay for this mod. but of course it is not allowed. There has been talk on the C2C forum about building a whole new C2C game from scratch in the future. I would certainly pay for that!

Well. Power plants can be changed with better ones. But disabling one that causes unhealthiness should technically be cheating too. I'm starting to wonder if this has any sense or if it's simply cheating

45°38'N-13°47'E;13748625 said:
Well. Power plants can be changed with better ones. But disabling one that causes unhealthiness should technically be cheating too. I'm starting to wonder if this has any sense or if it's simply cheating

Yeah, me too. Sorry I brought this up :p

You can take comfort in knowing that fans would pay for this mod. but of course it is not allowed. There has been talk on the C2C forum about building a whole new C2C game from scratch in the future. I would certainly pay for that!

I wasn't trying to imply we wanted payment, just that there wasn't an obligation from us to you.

Anyway, I think the discussion on disabled buildings just shows how complicated the problem really is, and I don't really think it's an avenue I want to explore any further.

On a further tangent, I've had vague ideas about writing a civ-style game from scratch as well. I think I'd go for a website though, Civ is the perfect model of game for a website game. User interaction could be done through a website and turns calculated on a super-fast server in some datacenter. It solves the problem of multiplayer because there is only 1 computer acting as host, the datacenter server, not like Civ4 where every player is also the host. This also makes updates to the game seamless, as updates are only to the back server or the website ui, and could open up the possibility of mobile clients since only the UI and not the entire game codebase would need to be ported. Unfortunately I am not that great of a graphics designer and well I can get by with website designs I am not that great. So unless I meet someone with that skill set and similar interests it will just remain an idea.

Back on topic, I think besides the fort changes, there is little disagreement that abandoning cities & selling buildings is definitely in the cheating territory.

I should weigh in since I started this :D

I think you should only be able to abandon cities when they aren't revolting aka you need to hold them for a few turns after capture, and then you should still get diplomatic "you razed on of our cities" penalties. I think that an abandoned city should spawn units based on culture percent. So India just captured Rome. 20 population with 50% indian culture and 50% roman. The indians should get 10 population worth of workers or whatever and the Romans should get 10 population worth of whatever the current conscript troop would be for that city.

Demolishing buildings for gold is crap and mega-exploitive. If this is allowed in any form IMO it should be demolishing for hammers only.

On a further tangent, I've had vague ideas about writing a civ-style game from scratch as well. I think I'd go for a website though, Civ is the perfect model of game for a website game. User interaction could be done through a website and turns calculated on a super-fast server in some datacenter. It solves the problem of multiplayer because there is only 1 computer acting as host, the datacenter server, not like Civ4 where every player is also the host. This also makes updates to the game seamless, as updates are only to the back server or the website ui, and could open up the possibility of mobile clients since only the UI and not the entire game codebase would need to be ported. Unfortunately I am not that great of a graphics designer and well I can get by with website designs I am not that great. So unless I meet someone with that skill set and similar interests it will just remain an idea.
That would be so cool! I could probably do graphics for icons and stuff for it (and for RAND also). Coding - I have no idea but I would like to learn. I've also thought of ways to improve the city screen and UI too for a fantasy civ game. But alas, I have no idea how Python or C++ works - only XML to a basic extent (and basic HTML). And if motivation is high enough to create a new game - no more OOS's! :)
Would this game be Open Source?

@Caymon: Hey! Do you know we are looking for someone with graphical design talents to rework some icons or others things? You might try this! No python / C++ involved :)

@Caymon: Hey! Do you know we are looking for someone with graphical design talents to rework some icons or others things? You might try this! No python / C++ involved :)

Sounds good. I've done some XML editing too (civics and buildings mainly). I know ArtDefines.xml points to the specific artwork files (though am unsure where the actual icon work is located).
Anyway, I have things like Photoshop (Student discount :) ) and Fireworks. I know how to use SketchUp, a 3D drawing program (though I cannot directly export 3D files unless I buy the pro version - not cheap) I was thinking I could use SketchUp and import it as an image for building icons.
So what do I do to get started?

That would be so cool! I could probably do graphics for icons and stuff for it (and for RAND also). Coding - I have no idea but I would like to learn. I've also thought of ways to improve the city screen and UI too for a fantasy civ game. But alas, I have no idea how Python or C++ works - only XML to a basic extent (and basic HTML). And if motivation is high enough to create a new game - no more OOS's! :)
Would this game be Open Source?

Yeah, I prefer FOSS projects.

Anyway, I am not really at a place in my life where I could start such a project, it's just something I've considered a bit.

Top Bottom