New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I had an idea for a NES that takes place in a "Zheng He/China discovers New World" scenario, has this been done before?

Let me define question further: how could it be run in a non-storyNES, but as a more rule-oriented NES manner?

Personally I find story-based NES' too amorphous.

edit: China discovers America? I do not think so, but then again a lot of alt-history stuff has gone on here. Personally I'd play it.

Well Dragonson did something along the lines of a DndNES before he disappeared that wasn't really a story NES

There was an old China discovers the New World NES run by...Sheep I think? The Inca and Aztec Empire became vassals of the Ming or something. It was pretty silly. But yeah, there has been a NES with that premise.

I had the idea of running a relaxed DNDNES where players control parties of 3-4 characters and it is a giant grid dungeon. Limited players and every team is dropped at a different part of the dungeon. The goal is to survive/get some object at the bottom of the dungeon. Orders would be simple, kind of like older editions of DND where you just give guidelines to how you'd handle a situation and then the DM rolls the dice. It would allows entire rooms to be done in the course of a turn.

I'd use sprites if I could find a uniform set of fantasy characters. The rest of the map would be simple grid maps like you'd see on a tabletop.

And if those are not to your liking the tig-forums have a bunch of other sprites you could use, if you're willing to sift through threads.

Yeah, I found that one too, but didn't know if I should post it because it would require you to do some assembling (although I'd assemble my own party for when you run this NES. You're going to run it right? Please run it.)

Well I would use the GURPS system or something GURPS-like for stats, because it would be much easier for you to moderate.

Simple things like:

STR
DEX
INT
HP

And some Perks/Quirks to further customize them. So far as character classes go? I would tie them to backgrounds or something, but not force people into very specific roles. I could whip up a more detailed design doc if you were interested. Even if you're not I might just do so anyway. :p

Well, we all have our biases, though personally, yeah, it might be better to just make up your own separate system.

@Luckymoose: your idea sounds nice. Though, the stats nutranurse proposes, as well as the Feats, are part of D&D rules (at least, they are in Order of the Stick, which only stops following D&D rules when it becomes funny).

Also, one extra idea for the ISOT NES: you pick a town from, say, the US, or Canada, or Germany... and I will drop it somewhere else, á lá 1632, where a West Virginia town appears in the middle of Germany. That would increase the fun. Besides, you would have to spend some time working out how the hell you plan to communicate with the people near where you have been ISOTed to. Also, as I have stated before, the time from where the ISOTs come will be the future (say, the 2100s), so you would be able to "upgrade" that town.

@Luckymoose: your idea sounds nice. Though, the stats nutranurse proposes, as well as the Feats, are part of D&D rules (at least, they are in Order of the Stick, which only stops following D&D rules when it becomes funny).

Trust me when I say that I know D&D rules. He was proposing GURPS, which is a boring system IMO. D&D has more flavor.

Well, I wholly agree with you, Luckymoose, but D&D would be hard to model in NES-form. I chose GURPS because I figured simpler = easier to moderate.

Top Bottom