New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I'd be interested in a fresh start of some kind, though I realise it would probably take a lot of work.

This one actually has a lot of that. read the section on energy and mineral wealth.

I'd like Fuedalism in SPAAAAAACE, not that I would have time to play or am really a NESer or anything...

What would you guys think of a game that is about politicking in a democracy? I have developed a ruleset based upon the Realpolitik game type, that may work (and work better) for a NES. The basic premise is the same, only I will have more freedom to stir things up because the world and the issues will be entirely under my control. Here is what I've got so far:

Spoiler :
Welcome to NESpolitik! A game of pandering, gaffes, and gerrymandering! Each of you will be a prospective candidate for office, fighting and clawing your way to the top of the political ladder. Loosely based on the Realpolitik game type, players and parties will work in a similar way. What has changed is the map and the issues we’ll all be battling it out over. And now for some rules!

Candidates: Each of you is from henceforth referred to as a candidate (until your elected to office and can happily be called an Incumbent. Candidates (and Incumbents for that matter) will be allowed three actions each turn. You will all have the following stats that will define your character in the game.
  • Name: Doesn’t really matter except so that others can refer to you when besmearing your reputation.
  • Party: Lets everyone know you political allegiance. Your party can define you, or you your party.
  • Reputation: The sum of your total influence over constituents, it's an indication of how popular, or unpopular, you are.
  • Notoriety: How well you are known by constituents. The great thing about notoriety is that it will go up significantly faster because of blunders and scandals than because of rule following and successes.
  • Campaign Funds: How much money you have to spend on campaigning.

Actions: Generally actions will be anything you do in the game that would take up time. It would take significant time to write a book, create a bill, put out a propaganda campaign, but it would not take that much time to give a speech, have a conversation with a potential donor, or simply talk to other candidates. Actions can be anything you want to do (within reason). Actions will all have a cost associated with them. Candidates can perform three actions each turn. Some examples of actions you can take:
  • Introduce Bill/Resolution (put forth a draft for a law to the National Congress)
  • Propaganda Campaign (distribute propaganda supporting yourself or putting down your opponent)
  • Publish Book (publish a book, much more powerful than a speech)
  • Frame Candidate (frame another in a scandal)
  • Begin Scandal (start a scandal to get money)
  • Hold Dinner (a way to generate money from donors)
  • Call for Impeachment (campaign to get an Incumbent removed from office)
  • Call for Referendum (campaign to get a law struck down)
  • Start Debate (start a debate between opposing factions, increases your influence more than a normal speech would)
  • Demographic Research (learn what a certain voter group actually wants from a representative)

Parties: Parties can be powerful in that they act as a hard alliance of candidates to garner support from constituents and donors. Parties can be defined by whatever you want them to be, but they will all share the same stats.
Name: Just as your personal name doesn’t matter much, this one doesn’t much either.
Reputation: Indicates how good or bad your members have been at winning over constituents. Parties with high reputations will start to cement constituents that will religiously vote for its candidates.

Constituents: These are the people you have to answer to at the end of each term. No matter what you do, you will always have to answer to your constituents. Following the needs of your constituents (or manipulating their image of you) is where you will find your success or failure. Constituents are divided into Voter Groups that have their own demands and values. A single constituent can be part of many voter groups, but in general will have an issue that he or she is more passionate about. Because voters care more about some issues than others, your influence over them may change differently depending on the voter.

Government Structure: The whole game is about getting into government, but just how is it going to work when you do finally get there? It is comprised of a single National Congress. The Congress is made up of a representative from each province, and democratically votes on issues and enacts laws and resolutions. Its agenda is led and set by an elected Prime Minister. Congressional Representatives are re-elected every 2 years.

Map: The nation has been divided into ten provinces, each electing a representative to the National Congress. The provinces are subdivided into voting districts, each one casting one vote for the Provincial Representative to the National Congress. Voting districts are redrawn every five years to keep the population in each equal. The map is divided further into standard increments in which the population of each is counted. These increments provide the demographic distribution information of the country’s population used in the redrawing of districts.

Game Progression: The game will be divided into years. Each year the population will grow, influence will be calculated, random events will be generated, and the news report will be released. The incumbents of the current administration will have to deal with these things as they come about. Meanwhile, the out-of-office candidates will be able to do things to increase their influence (while decreasing their opponents). Some years will be elections years, in which candidates will begin campaigning for office. Election years will culminate in a vote where candidates are chosen for government.

Random Events: Random events are exactly what they sound like. They will be random things that have happened during the year that require action by the current administration.

Media: The news media will be the primary means of getting your image out to the people. It will also be the primary means that the people (and you) hear of all your failures (and successes I guess…). Watch the news closely, as it will be a good indication of your current public image as well as the current issues.

This would serve as a basis, but the rules may change depending on the map/scenario we end up using. I say this because I originally imagined this on just a blank fictional map (found some very nice ones online), that I (or we, perhaps a preliminary worldbuilding game would work nicely here) would then fill out with cities, histories, and cultures. Then I had the idea that it may spice things up even more if this were on a galactic/space-faring level with increased technology. Not only is it easy to think of interesting political scenarios with this, the removal from what would be a some-what parallel modern earth would avoid topics that may be controversial (abortion/religion/gay-rights/ect).

I've been tinkering with a something like that, with a difference: Government is conducted by an elected President and any ministers he appoints, but under the strictures of an elected assembly. The purpose of this is to make membership in a political party optional without making it difficult to adjudicate who is in charge.

I also want to initially give almost all power to the President and only a little (probably over finances or at least income) to the elected assembly, to try and create a push and pull between executive and legislature.

To understand why political parties would matter, first consider elections. A candidate is ranked, based on all their actions visible to the public eye, on a number of scales (I have eight at present). Each voter (or probably voting bloc of many people such that there are only ~1000 groups that will vote per electoral district) then compares their personal views in the eight categories to the ratings of each candidate, voting for the most similar.

However, a candidate's public perception is dependent on their notoriety, with a candidate with a high notoriety getting most of their standpoints across properly, and a candidate with a low notoriety only conveying one or two. The other categories are perceived to be at the default standpoint, with that default being 50 (on a scale of 0-100) for independents and the standpoint of their political party for candidates associated with a party. Particularly for less notorious candidates, then, association with a political party lets them alter the public's perception of them without having to yammer on about their beliefs all the time.

In other news, I know Grandkhan is developing something along these lines as his magnum opus.

I think I would support a politiking nes. Personally I would prefer a fictional map with a setting similar to the imperialism days of OTL.

I think it would be fun too. I would honestly rather play one than GM one. This one right now is just an idea. I want to play a NES before I attempt to GM one. Waiting for a new one to start, I don't really like to jump in roght in the middle of pre-existing games.

I think a year is too long a time when it comes to politics.

Assorted Rules:

Tank Rules:

Caliber: Effects firepower. Can customize calibers to be +/- 2. 37mm - 45mm - 60mm - 75mm - 90mm - 105mm - 120mm - 130mm. 90mm steel AP shot is the maximum that can be handled by one loader, 105mm is pushing it. 105mm APCR and APDS is the maximum that can be handled by one loader, and 120mm APFSDS is the maximum that can be handled by one loader.
Muzzle Energy: Effects penetration. Increasing caliber while muzzle energy is constant reduces penetration - especially over long distances - unless APDS is used.
AP Ammunition: AP - APCR - APDS - HEAT - APFSDS
Front Armor: Prevents penetration over the frontal arc.
Side Armor: Prevents penetration (note: it sharply increases weight unless special armor is developed).
Mobility: Relative number, increases cost as a multiple of armor.
Crew Tasks (assigned to each crew member): Radio Operation, Sky Observation, Driving, Loading, Gunnery

Doctrine
Shock: The ability of your military to disrupt the organization and cohesion of your opponents.
Depth: The ability to attack or defend in depth.
Maneuver: The ability to advance or retreat rapidly while maintaining cohesion.
Logistics: Your army's reliance on being supplied by your nation, as opposed to living off the land.
Large-unit Operations:
Small-unit Operations: Increases leadership cost of infantry and armor units.

Also!

Not a NES, but in a couple of days I am starting a game of NOTW on this site.

This is a game in which a number of players must attempt to identify a group of murderous intruders amongst their rank, in a manner not dissimilar to the Salem witch trials. Every night a player is killed, and it becomes a race against time; find the killers before there are so few of you left that they can overpower the remaining innocents and kill the lot. It is a game of suspicion, intrigue, and paranoia, in which players must co-operate to uncover the killers before it is too late. But who can you trust when anyone could be the enemy? All players have a number of special abilities and/or items to help or hinder the innocent team in their quest, making for a very fun and interactive game.

I'm looking for players, so feel free to follow this link right HERE if you want to take a look. To sign up, just post in the thread!

Also!

Not a NES, but in a couple of days I am starting a game of NOTW on this site.

This is a game in which a number of players must attempt to identify a group of murderous intruders amongst their rank, in a manner not dissimilar to the Salem witch trials. Every night a player is killed, and it becomes a race against time; find the killers before there are so few of you left that they can overpower the remaining innocents and kill the lot. It is a game of suspicion, intrigue, and paranoia, in which players must co-operate to uncover the killers before it is too late. But who can you trust when anyone could be the enemy? All players have a number of special abilities and/or items to help or hinder the innocent team in their quest, making for a very fun and interactive game.

I'm looking for players, so feel free to follow this link right HERE if you want to take a look. To sign up, just post in the thread!

That's Mafia / Werewolf! (I actually have a Werewolf set at home)

Yep pretty much, there's actually a pretty big community for it here :) do you want in?

Used to be bigger, though. When I joined it was bigger. Not much bigger, but bigger.

Used to be bigger, though. When I joined it was bigger. Not much bigger, but bigger.

Mafia/NOTW on CFC went into decline starting around when I joined in early 2011, hit its nadir in late 2012/early 2013, but now seems to be rebounding.

Top Bottom