Year 500AD-1500AD-1850AD-1950AD-2020AD Savegames needed, rev883 or later

Attached a save from Rev 894 at 500 AD. Some game options were changed, screenshot attached. Might be a bit imbalanced thanks to ridiculously good start.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0502.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
  • Settings_screenshot.jpg
    Settings_screenshot.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 136
I'll be happy to post saves. I'm going to play on your AND Earth Map scenario. Is that ok? (Stock game settings, revolutions on. Just that the start locations for that map aren't too balanced).

I'll be happy to post saves. I'm going to play on your AND Earth Map scenario. Is that ok? (Stock game settings, revolutions on. Just that the start locations for that map aren't too balanced).
Sure, thank you! :)

I'm also going to record a Let's Play of the game and will refer to that video for anything unusual I find. Could take a few days to reach the later eras.

Thank you for that, it could help to make new players want to do play the mod!
Note: If you like to create videos, don't hesitate to make promotional videos for the mod. It's always a pleasure to see such things!

I've already made video for the first 140 turns, but the first two videos are of lower quality due to a compression issue. Videos of the game from 1940BC onward will be in HD quality, I fixed the problem. Will post the video on YouTube when done.

It takes a bit longer to play this recorded game since I am explaining the unique features in this mod, briefly going over some features, and going into detail on others that I really like.

I'm playing rather poorly by my standards since I'm focusing more on discussing unique features, so it may turn out quite embarrassing in the end :lol:

Year 1502, turn 760.

It's been a while since I had played this far, so I was surprised and terrified when, after going on a conquering rampage against my neighbours, I went up to 30-odd cities (including a few offshore colonies) and noticed that I was losing around 1000:gold: per turn due to all the maintenance costs!

Had to go down to 50% :science: for a while and focus on building up the newly conquered and resettled lands, and slowly but surely the economy went up.
Incidentally, that's why my Caravan numbers tend to be 3-digits.

All the warring finally gave me enough generals to settle in my military city to get enough xp to immediately promote new ships to Piracy (I was up to Frigates by this time), and that's how the seas suddenly became a much more dangerous place to be. :evil:

The AIs tend to go to war every once in a while, but they almost never get any results.
Prime example: Cochise (Apache) and Boudica (Celts). They share their own continent, are the worst enemy of each other, and regularly go to war, get a few generals each (meaning they both lose several units) and then sign peace for a while.
The border between them has not moved. Ever. It's in the same tiles it was when I had settled those Celtic cities several hundred turns ago when I was still using the Celts (this started as a High & Low game).

Revolutions I've seen happen to almost-dead civs (the ones being conquered by me at the time), they spawned a couple of civs holding onto the last couple of cities, which I left alone for awhile since they were in places I didn't need.
Later on I went and conquered them anyway, by that time they had been vassalized by someone I was at war with.

What did happen and was interesting was that both Boudica and me had several cities on the islands south of her (and Cochise's) mainland, and those requested independence, and we both granted those colonies their autonomy.
That also contributed a lot to reducing the insane city maintenance costs I was having.

Last note, Noble Knights, properly used and farmed, are insane killers.
As usual, the AI doesn't really know how to get the most out of them.

Thank you again guys, I've checked your saves; more or less the game seems much more balanced as it was some months ago. There are a few known issues, but all in all the game seems ok. If you have more saves, keep posting them. :)

Something I've noticed is that the AI is playing better overall than in the last version I played in early November.

I don't know if it's the balance improvements or AI tweaks, but I find that they're behaving more logically and none of the civs are getting stuck in "dumb mode" anymore, where they start acting stupidly and fail spectacularly for no reason at all.

Also AI armies seem to be better managed in general. They caught one of my stacks off guard and nearly wiped it out, it's great to have some challenge again.

Finally, I've noticed that the AI is better about spreading their religion. Before it was just a given that I'd win the religion game since there was never any effort put in by my opponents in that area.

I also like how the tech tree has been tightened and made more efficient. It's no longer obvious which techs need to be researched now, and which can be put off or stolen later.

The AI seems smarter about when to declare war, though that could just be this particular game. I do notice they tend to suicide their Noble Knights, sending one or two of them to attack my stack, rather hopelessly.

Here's 1774 AD, because I won :king:

Apparently, you can win a Conquest victory by vassalizing everyone, instead of outright killing all the other civs.

Congratulations go to the AI of Cochise, the Apache, the last civ to remain independent, and the one that kept up with tech with me, even while fighting a centuries long, on and off war with his neighbour Boudica, a war where in the later phases they kept trading a Celtic city back and forth, often in the same turn!

Meanwhile he also managed to snatch from me both Mining Inc AND Creative Constructions. How I hated him for that!

Cochise was the only one that made me work to make him capitulate. I had to reduce him to 2 cities (from his initial 14) and exterminate virtually all his military forces.
He managed even to sink one of my Battleships (the only ship I lost in this war), and was lucky enough to kill several of my Navy Seals that had 93-94% attacking odds. That was really annoying.

To vassalize everybody else I just had to kill about half their military, maybe conquer a city or two. Sometimes I just had to kill enough units, not even take a city.
I'm not sure if this is the effect of the Interventionism civic, or I simply had overwhelming Power over them (that's a factor in Capitulation, I suppose).

The most impressive factor is that Boudica was one of the previous civilizations I had controlled (this started as a High to Low game), and up to midgame Boudica really was scary in terms of power and production. The AI didn't do a very good job of leveraging those assets in a definitive conquest of her neighbour Cochise, though.
In the end Boudica capitulated to me fairly quickly (I was hoping and expecting for a better fight with her).
Cochise, on the other hand, was a rare example of an AI that, without any help, did its job magnificently (even though he also didn't manage to make lasting gains against Boudica).

Could some provide also savegame at 2500BC and 500BC? I would like to balance the AI early starts.

Could some provide also savegame at 2500BC and 500BC? I would like to balance the AI early starts.

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e02v5rj40kgvh4/r926ge-real-01 BC-2475.CivBeyondSwordSave?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54w2ub6sranbnzy/r926ge-real-01 BC-0503.CivBeyondSwordSave?dl=0

This is my current game, started with rev926 (with your experimental code enabled), then updated to current revision.

As a side note, I'm on turn 580/1800 and nobody ever attacked me; I've been able to wipe out Romans without problems. I admit anyway that civs are becoming bigger than with the old code. Giant map, there are 32 civs (started with default, there are more because of revolutions and barbarian civs), in my previous test before your code, civs had about 10 cities at best, now they reach even 18 cities.

I've found some problems that I'm currently trying to adress:
- Lack of wonders in the early game
- Minors always act like at war

Note that the AI isn't more agressive than before, it's just that they prepare a lot better for wars.

I've found some problems that I'm currently trying to adress:
- Lack of wonders in the early game
- Minors always act like at war

Note that the AI isn't more agressive than before, it's just that they prepare a lot better for wars.
Sounds good but... what's the problem with minors? They ARE at war until they become major civs

Yes, but the new algorythm makes a real difference between at war or not.
When at war or preparing for war, it fully builds a real army. The problems with minors is that they are at war but should also focus on development.

Top Bottom