Out of hand game needs better hardware, ride it out or give up it's impossible?

Randinho

Chieftain
I'm playing a game where I'm trying to build as many cities as possible on marathon till turn 1500 for max growth of all my cities at which point I will take over the last civilization's last city. I'm currently at turn 688 with 183 cities and already noticing some issues.

1. Turns are taking forever of course, and the movement of everything has noticeably slowed down, specifically on the 'next turn' break my computer fan is going into overdrive during this process especially.
2. The map has glitched out and none of the improvements (farms, mines, etc.) are showing for about 1/3 of the map. This is pretty irrelevant to me at this point as the third that isn't showing is almost fully developed and in a pinch I can mouse over tiles for info.
3. New city names no longer generate. It just produces a blank and has done so for ~10 cities now.

Obviously #1 worries me most as I don't really want to blow up my computer in the attempted completion of this game. I am due for an upgrade as the comp is 5 years old and if a better computer with better everything will make this game run better I will do that now instead of waiting for Civ 6 which was my original intent.

I assume as long as I make a copy of the civ file it'll be playable on the new machine, yes?

The secondary issue is will I eventually just break the game and this is all pointless? I remember previous games had maximums of some sort and read old threads pertaining to maximums in this game, although I have the latest edition so that may have been addressed. Anyone have any info on that?

Top Bottom