Hourglass Universe

@Jwitti: One of the top ten best videos ever... glad to see that I'm not the only one who sees the History Channel's stupid end-of-world-and-aliens propaganda.

I also like his "History Lesson for the History Channel"
Script:
A history lesson for the history channel. History. Not History. History. Not History. History. Not History. Brought to you by the society of people who think that names should mean something.

:agree: I just watched that (after you mentioned it) - That is now in the top ten, as well.

. . . The Thirteenth B'ak'tun . . .
Dustcloud's Story, Part One

The boy raised his hand.
"Dustcloud?"
"Yes, young one?"
"Why are you telling us this... this story, when all this is in the past? What use is it?"

"In the story, young one, you will hear answers to those questions you seem to adore asking. In this tale, the reasons for what lies in the future of this world. In the legend of our people - for that is what it is, and who better to tell the epic of an ancient people than one of the ancients themselves? - what is to come becomes more clear.
Everything becomes easier to see, when you know how we used to live... how we came to be here today. In short, my story, history, is our story.

I feel it falls to us to determine the future of this world... My hunches are always right, young one. I am the prophet. We, the Maya, are the nation that will bring about the prophecy."

The young boy looked completely dumbfounded.

"Then... What happened to the Walker, the guardian of the first age? He sounded almost as if he was unhappy."

"He settled down, young one. Five children, a house on the edge of the Gulf and a beautiful wife. He died at the biological age of fifty-two in his sleep. His life is a lesson, young one. When you know how long you have, when you realise the fleetness of life... either give it your best efforts or be content with what comes to you."

Non Canon Intermission

As you've probably guessed by now, this story is divided by the b'ak'tuns in which the segments occur. This means parts of the story like this, which occur in the present day (I think of the tale as being told as I write it), get the heading "Thirteenth B'ak'tun" and that's the end of it. All the other b'ak'tuns will be divided into four parts, which may or may not have more than one update associated with them.

Interesting... let's see how this progresses from here.

We all know that movie was crap, except for the special effects, which is precisely what Roland Emmerich is good at. :)

It was OK if you like movies with mostly action and hardly any plot. Probably the only reason I have good memories of it was that I saw it on an outdoor screen. :D

I remember most of the deaths. Otherwise not much..

. . . The Second B'ak'tun . . .
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Dustcloud sighed discontentedly. Since The Walker's death, nothing had quite been the same. A new era, new people, new challenges? They could keep them for all he cared. There hadn't been excitement like the first days for decades, it seemed... no thrill of knowing that they were destined for greatness, no dreams of Mayan glory and grandeur. This was a redefinition of the concept of tedium. It had never been foreseen - for once - but Dustcloud was bored.
. . .

"Dustcloud?"

A young man of about twenty summers - or so it seemed - entered the room. Dustcloud hesitiated for a second, then recognition struck.

"Meentik-yáab*! How can I help you?"

Meentik stood to attention to such an extent that he almost matched the statues of the gods around the edge of the room. He had respect. You could say that for him.

"The people who you sent to settle the eastern bays have sent a message... the city has risen! Come outside. You can see it from this hill!"

Dustcloud followed Meentik outside. He was right... but he had understated the city's beauty. It was more powerful than Dustcloud had ever dared to dream.

The flame of enthusiasm in Dustcloud had been rekindled.

Ooh... Where did you get the picture?

Google Images! :D

wasnt there supposed to be an update a week?

There was, but what with one thing and another, I always had either no time or no inspiration. Now we're back on track, but rather far behind, I'm afraid. Expect several extra updates over the next couple of weeks in order to catch up.

:happyFace:

I have times when I'm inspired, and times when I'm not. Can't change my personality. :p

You mean a luxury resort, or underwater? :p

EDIT: I'm thinking of resurrecting Copaczin's 'Out of Context' idea for this thread. Opinions from people who remember it?

Top Bottom