OMG, I was attacked!

Uncle_Joe

Prince
FINALLY! It happened! lol

On Turn 109 of my 7th game (Emperor level), the Huns declared war on me! Yep, seven games in and I finally got to take a look at the BNW AI's ability to make war. Not impressed... ;)

Anyways, it was good to actually be attacked! It didn't stop me from winning the game, but at least it encouraged me to build a military for the first time yet in BNW.

Oh well, I hope they patch the AI sometime soon. It's very dull being able to play without a military and when they finally DO attack it's pretty easy to fend off and counter-attack with minimal disruption.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some MASSIVE AI military build-ups in my games and if they had ever attacked me with some of those, I think I would have been wiped out. But the only attack I suffered was a gaggle of Battering Rams and Warriors with a few Archers attacking across lousy terrain and past 2 of my Allied CS taking casualties the whole time...

In a recent game, the AI attacked me by land, which was predictable. 50 turns in, when everything was calm, they send a massive armada toward one of my smaller cities, instantly taking it out. I was like 'WHOA! That's cool!'

Everything else they did was still just as predictable though. lol

Go up another level UJ. I was sorely dissapointed early on with BNW but I must say it makes more sense to develop early on, not just for AI but players too. Still this period of calm benefits us more than AI as I can get four cities up, developed, and then spam 6 archers in 6 turns, few melee support, upgrade to CB then XB and rape and pillage at will. And not very early either, t130-150. In GK that would not be considered a rush, you need to be getting arty by then.
But not on deity where AI is REXing like in old days and despite early DoW being still rare it can and will happen. So if Emperor is your comfort level now go higher and once you start falling behind AI will try to take advantage.
Their tactical skills have gotten worse I think. They have been dialed back on trying to kill your range, I can keep my uberpromoted XBs and arty in the field now even without much of air cover and not lose them instantly. I do like that they do use air sweeps and interception now for their fighters.

This (as long as you are not isolated). I was attacked last night by Archers and Spearmen, of all things.

Good to hear you have has some action. IIRC you're games typically don't have much in the way of human vs. AI combat.

I got a shock the other night when barbarians *attacked* my city-not just pillaged my improvements. They did a lot of damage before I was able to fend them off (it was relatively early BC's). I confess I'd love to see the Barbs do this march more often, & in bigger numbers!

Aussie.

I got a shock the other night when barbarians *attacked* my city-not just pillaged my improvements. They did a lot of damage before I was able to fend them off (it was relatively early BC's). I confess I'd love to see the Barbs do this march more often, & in bigger numbers!

Aussie.

Definitely go with Raging Barbs. Makes the early game more tense. I'm currently playing an Emperor game with Raging Barbs on and they have kept me busy but it is still quiet from the Civs. I may boot it up to Immortal after reading a few of these posts.

Good to hear you have has some action. IIRC you're games typically don't have much in the way of human vs. AI combat.

I know but I did leave myself totally open for an attack since 1) I built a choice city near them and 2) I was testing/focusing on religion. I think Japan is one of those civs that could go either way, from what I've read.

i got attacked on my like third game(first game where i came to over 1000 AD)
By Shaka, wasent plecent.

I know but I did leave myself totally open for an attack since 1) I built a choice city near them and 2) I was testing/focusing on religion. I think Japan is one of those civs that could go either way, from what I've read.

Besides that one instance, how has it gone for you lately?

My latest game I got backstabbed by Isabella TWICE and Kamahamamamkarmachameleon.

I don't know what was going on this game...

Aussie.

ive seen barbs attacking ai citys in bc's in a few games now. i like it, barbs in general are pretty fearsome now

Yeah, it just seems odd to have to jump up TWO levels of an expansion with new mechanics to have a challenge (I played King in G&K and was prolly 60% win percentage or so).

That right there tells me that something is wrong with the AI when the game is THAT much easier to win.

Also, I don't even like the tech progress on Emperor so I'm sure Immortal will be worse. To me, it's sort of immersion-breaking when I have tanks and planes in the early/mid 1800s and Rifles and Cannon in the 1500-1600s. But everything accelerates on the upper levels. I'd rather they just 'fix' the difficulty across the board by having the AIs actually be a threat rather than having to play against massive artificial bonuses.

I definitely notice my games are more peaceful, but that's only if you play diplomatic. Recently played as Maya, spread my religion and didn't give a rats arse about what other people thought, converted holy cities and all that. Never declared war though. By the end of the game I had nearly everyone DoW'd on me, some with the same ideology.

Even more recently, I had Babylon declare war on me with the only pretense being he coveted my land, then a couple turns later the Inca jumped in too.

War still occurs commonly (on King, at least), and be afraid as the AI are much better at it.

Yeah, it just seems odd to have to jump up TWO levels of an expansion with new mechanics to have a challenge (I played King in G&K and was prolly 60% win percentage or so).

That right there tells me that something is wrong with the AI when the game is THAT much easier to win.

Also, I don't even like the tech progress on Emperor so I'm sure Immortal will be worse. To me, it's sort of immersion-breaking when I have tanks and planes in the early/mid 1800s and Rifles and Cannon in the 1500-1600s. But everything accelerates on the upper levels. I'd rather they just 'fix' the difficulty across the board by having the AIs actually be a threat rather than having to play against massive artificial bonuses.

I have to agree. I can fear large massed attack, but it almost always becomes a wet flop (when they are impies: maybe not! :eek:). They do not manage it well at all. I did predict problems with humans making long troop journeys, and with the AI moving anything at all, when we saw the fist glimpses of CIV5 and there was no unit stacking. I am still right on both counts, which is sad.

[edit: I tend to not kill units, for example, but leave them bleeding and wailing at my city gates. The other units stack up behind and cannot move in, those units do not move as they want to heal, and ranges units are then too far away to attack. It's a bit sad to watch, really.]

War still occurs commonly (on King, at least), and be afraid as the AI are much better at it.

I cannot agree. The AI is just not good enough yet.

Overall, I had the vague idea in G&K that the AI was 'learning' from me. It would sometimes produce the same units, and even try a similar attack formation. I may have been imagining it, however. I was quite interested several times, so this was not a passing fancy.

My current game I'm playing Babylon on King difficulty. My three neighbors are Theodora (wonder hogging like nobody's business), Gajah Mada, and Casimir. All claim to be "Friendly."

Gajah Mada declares war out of nowhere.

About 10 turns later, Theodora declares war.

10 turns after that? Casimir.

I'm a little peeved at all of them now, especially wonder-stealing Theodora. I ramped up military production and managed to hold off on three fronts. I went from a slightly below average military size to the largest military in the world and, being Babylon, I have a technology lead.

All three have been suing for peace, but Nebby is set on filling up his cup with the blood of his enemies. :mwaha:

In any case, the AI is perfectly capable of aggression.

In my second to last game I spawned on an island next to atilla and mongols and they both joined together to declare war on me pretty early and wiped me off the map.

It seems wierd that you have to play on difficulty 7 out of 8 to have the AI actually attack you. I play King now, which the game already describes as "hard", yet my last game of space victory went without a single enemy unit ever entering my territory (I'd been DoWed by Catherine and Bismarck because I played an isolationist diplomatic game against them) but they never sent any troops my way, just Bismarck tried to harass me with destroyers on one port.

On the higher difficulty levels I don't enjoy the extremely lopsided cheat start the AI gets. I don't enjoy playing the first 50 turns on perfect play just to catch up to the AI, I'd like an easy, fun start but I'd also like the AI to aggressively come after me the moment we meet and I show weakness.

After all, I'm playing on a difficulty described as "hard".

Top Bottom