Civ VI: Range and Melee layer 1upt

qutsemnie

Chieftain
Hi

For Civ VI I think the devs should make a ranged and melee layer of 1upt. This would be like civilian and army layer presently, except things like archers and swordmen would be in their own layer.

I think most of what makes the AI so bad at combat is this notion of where to put ranged units and where to put melee units and how do you move them without tripping over yourself. By letting the AI stack them you cut out a lot of the computational difficultly and it is pretty easy to write some good simple rules about how to move units.

I don't think this change would alter the flavor of 1upt to much. For combat I suggest every unit have two possible targets: range unit layer.. melee layer... That is to say that most of the time just stacking a ranged unit with a melee unit wouldn't stop it from being targeted. Thus you would still want to keep ranged units at range. If for some reason the target hex only had one of the two it would just attack the unit in the hex. By having the target preference be part of the initial action selection the combat would remain streamlined and not burdened by additional ui clicking.

So, you might ask how does this help the AI? The ability to just move a ranged unit under a melee unit would significantly simplify planning movements. Ranged units kiting away and melee movements moving in to intercept would not become mutually exclusive plans.

Hrmm you want them to try to improve 1UPT to 2UPT for the next game. I think there should be limited stacking (as opposed to unlimited in Civ IV) so I guess we're opposites. We can only know for sure when the game comes out but I bet Civ VI doesn't continue with 1UPT. Friendly Wager?

Top Bottom