Art Nouveau Interface

Balthasar

Wise Man

Yep. Here I am again with another interface. This one is in the style of Art Nouveau (aka Jugendstil). This style was a turn-of-the century art movement, and was popular roughly from 1890-1910. No wonder, then, that this was first suggested to me by El Justo, who had been looking through some sheet music from that era and suggested that it might make a fine motif for his next AOI scenario. Lucky for him, I'm also a collector of very old sheet music, and knew just what he was talking about. After a year of sporadic work, the result is the interface that I'm about to show you.

First the download: it's in the database HERE.

As I write at the download page, and in the ReadMe, I made this as plug-and-play capable as I could. Put the contents of the rar file into your Conquests/Scenarios folder. The science screens in this pack were defaulted to work with a regular random Civ Conquests game. Included is a biq named "Nouveau" that will allow you to fire up a Conquests game using the interface.

For more experienced modders who might want to use this interface with their games, there are Alt- science screens in the Advisors folder, and the little arrow that I used to make my science screens, if you'd like to use it.

A big thanks to Vuldacon, for the jewelled buttons and the "ok & X" buttons.

Screenshots follow...

Last edited:
This is a full scale interface, so I have a lot to show you. Because there are so many screens, Click on thumbnails to see the full sized screens (or right-click and select 'Open in New Tab'). So let's get to it...

Setup Screens

Main Screen

This is an image of the main screen on my desktop, which is 1920 x 1080 and makes the buttons and boxes look very small..

So here's an image of all the main screen interface elements together.

And here's a gif of the "next turn states" blinking on the right box.

City Screen

The panels on either side of the screen are by Alphonse Mucha, a Czech Artist celebrated for his Art Nouveau illustrations..

Civilopedia

When the turn of the century citizen thought about higher learning, he thought of ivy. Lots and Lots of ivy.

Advisor screens

Note the arrows on the science screen. That is the default for this interface.

Espionage and Diplomacy

The diplomacy 'box' is sort of an earlier-era companion piece to the one I made for the WWII Interface.

Wonder Screen

Based on Mucha's famous poster for JOB Cigarette papers.

Era Splashes

More Mucha: The Four Seasons

Victory Status and Powergraph Screens

Please let me know if I've left anything out of the download or the interface itself.
Otherwise,
Enjoy!

Last edited:
WoW! It looks great. The science advisor, military advisor and espionage screens are especially pleasing.

This looks very lovely!

I think I will use it in my Civ (as soon as I have figured out how! :blush:;) ).

But the german term is written "Jugendstil" without final E. ;)

Beautiful! I really like "Jugendstil" very much (for a fact, I even live in a house built in 1904). Thank you!

This is tremendous work, Balthasar! I think you've outdone yourself here. Some of those screens like the 'Choose Your World' pcx must have been a nightmare to create. The final result speaks for itself. Man, 2016 just started, you can't just go trying to clinch pcx of the years right off the bat like that!

This is tremendous work, Balthasar! I think you've outdone yourself here.

Thank you Tony, and Ares, and Timerover, and Theov, for the very kind words. To be honest, I had no idea if anyone (other than El Justo) would have any use for it at all. That's why I made it newbie-compatible. They love plug-and-play stuff.

Some of those screens like the 'Choose Your World' pcx must have been a nightmare to create.

Actually, the City Screen was the toughest to get right. The science screens took the most time, the Victory screen required the most tweaking. I'd bet, though, that no one could guess where those peacocks came from.:p

Man, 2016 just started, you can't just go trying to clinch pcx of the year right off the bat like that!
Balthasar, you set a very high standard for your competition.

I have Competition? :joke: Seriously, if my example encourages someone to make better (or more) pcx's, I'll be the first to applaud! Then I have to figure a way to get folks to make leaderheads and pop-up advisors.

this is your best work yet! thanks so much for completing it.

And you, in turn, have my deep appreciation for suggesting it. Another happy customer!

Gojira54, nick0515, very glad you like it. Thank you.

Blue - I had alot of fun with that Romanesque font. These things are always a constant contest between form and function, so its a beautiful thing when the two come together. I would recommend that anyone considering using this interface to make a new scenario should check out Blue Monkey's Pandectual Garland of Steampunk Graphics, they being the best and most interesting representations of Victorian, Belle Epoque, and Jazz age technologies available.

PS.. Regarding the Diplomacy screens: just came across this French postcard from 1910, depicting a video conference, or 'Correspondence Cinema'...

I would recommend that anyone considering using this interface to make a new scenario should check out Blue Monkey's Pandectual Garland of Steampunk Graphics, they being the best and most interesting representations of Victorian, Belle Epoque, and Jazz age technologies available.

PS.. Regarding the Diplomacy screens: just came across this French postcard from 1910, depicting a video conference, or 'Correspondence Cinema'...

:lol: That actual image was source for one of the icons in the set. Paleofuture (as the name suggests) is a blog with a huge library of truly public domain images collected from the 18th through the early 20th c. A plethora of unit & improvement ideas for any "what-if" scenario. Also check out the work of Albert Robida - an Art Nouveau artist specializing in imaginative futures. His works are scattered all over the web. He illustrated whole cityscapes, scenes of warfare, etc. imagining the world the activities those postcards suggest.

The "next turn" blinking light is in itself a "tour de force", a masterpiece, and so is the whole interface too. Amazing job once again. I wonder what you can't do, once again :D

I must say, this is a beautiful interface, and thank you both for creating it and for linking it in the January competitions thread, as otherwise I may well have missed it. Fantastic work!

I must say, this is a beautiful interface, and thank you both for creating it and for linking it in the January competitions thread, as otherwise I may well have missed it. Fantastic work!

Better late than never! Thank you, Q. And for those of you who think that the competitions serve no purpose, well there you are. :p

this is incredible. I will dl it fer shure. I just did a full re-install (my civ computer died) with the metal interface but I am tempted to change to this one.

Top Bottom