Civ 5 Multiplayer problems

The_Shadow

Chieftain
What does everyone think about the prospective multiplayer problems? Will it be feasible to enjoy a game on multiplayer, or will the darned thing keep dropping all the time? aAnd what effect will simultaneous moves have on game play? How will someone be able to protect his artillery if the other human player can simply attack them with cavalry when the move begins?

Any thoughts or insights?

Don't worry about multiplayer - neither does 2K. Multiplayer is some kind of easter egg feature. It is just like small fun addon and has never been considered as a serious CIV game mode. Also playing against human is not such fun because most of people will not get apropriate experience and game satisfaction ratio losing most of the games. When you play against AI you can save and reload and eventually win which is unfortunatelly impossible in multiplayer. Therefore you better stick to single player and never ask about multiplayer again.

Don't worry about multiplayer - neither does 2K. Multiplayer is some kind of easter egg feature. It is just like small fun addon and has never been considered as a serious CIV game mode. Also playing against human is not such fun because most of people will not get apropriate experience and game satisfaction ratio losing most of the games. When you play against AI you can save and reload and eventually win which is unfortunatelly impossible in multiplayer. Therefore you better stick to single player and never ask about multiplayer again.
What? That's... not what they've been saying at all, and that's not how it was handled in Civ 4. I don't get what you're meaning to say with this attack. 2K doesn't directly control the strength of the netcode anyway.

On topic: Firaxis has said that they're putting more effort into making MP playable/fun. Using Steamworks netcode should help make connections more stable than gamespy.

It'll be like any other multiplayer game. Fun with the right people, a nightmare with the wrong people. There will be lag, people will drop for no reason and until the game has had a chance to get some patches out to handle people with 12,000 viruses and all the worthless crap from the manufacuturer eating up their resources it'll have stability problems. ;)

If you're really interested in Civ 5 multiplayer, check out betaleague.civplayers.com . These folks play Civ 3 and 4 multiplayer tournaments and the like and are setting up to play Civ 5. There is a strong Civ multiplayer community out there and people do have fun playing it.

What does everyone think about the prospective multiplayer problems? Will it be feasible to enjoy a game on multiplayer, or will the darned thing keep dropping all the time? aAnd what effect will simultaneous moves have on game play? How will someone be able to protect his artillery if the other human player can simply attack them with cavalry when the move begins?

Any thoughts or insights?

Since my crystal ball is currently on the fritz, I'm afraid I cannot accurately answer a question that wants to know something that is impossible to know in the present.

What? That's... not what they've been saying at all, and that's not how it was handled in Civ 4. I don't get what you're meaning to say with this attack. 2K doesn't directly control the strength of the netcode anyway.

That's very funny what you wrote - you getting better than me with taking the piss. BTW - CIV 4 is the best example how not to make multiplayer games.....

hopefully gamespy will have absolutely nothing to do with Civ5 multiplayer.

Civ Revolution multiplayer was a shocking act of violence.

If you're really interested in Civ 5 multiplayer, check out betaleague.civplayers.com . These folks play Civ 3 and 4 multiplayer tournaments and the like and are setting up to play Civ 5. There is a strong Civ multiplayer community out there and people do have fun playing it.

Thanks Gre, that is our revamped league that is in beta right now, for the current Civ3 and Civ4 leagues you can look here www.civplayers.com

But yes, MP is alive and well and Civ makes a great MP game despite what some people think. I'm happy that people enjoy SP and Civ is a great SP game, but please refrain from raining on the MP parade just because it is not for you. It is enjoyed by thousands of players over the years and will continue to do so with Civ5.

Civ5 is using Steamworks not Gamespy so we hope the issues will be less. Though no service can make up for the internet, so players will drop on occassion. But I'm told that Steam/Civ5 will handle that more gracefully. We can hope.

As to how simutaneous MP and IUPT will work out that is something we well just have to test in the demo, hopefully the demo will have MP enabled.

But I don't see it any worse than moving stacks around in Civ4, yes it will mean that players with quicker reflexes might get the advantage in busy combat maneovres but it is a lesser evil that turn based combat and getting attacked without any ability to respond until your turn, not to mention the lenght of the game with separate turns....

CS

When you play against AI you can save and reload and eventually win which is unfortunatelly impossible in multiplayer. Therefore you better stick to single player and never ask about multiplayer again.

You must be the person who keeps reloading on every fight in order to win it, eh?

The only real challenge is in MP games, there is no challenge in playing solely against AI - a human will always win at the end simply because of what the poster I quoted said.

If Civ 5 did not have MP, I would not purchase it.

But I don't see it any worse than moving stacks around in Civ4, yes it will mean that players with quicker reflexes might get the advantage in busy combat maneovres but it is a lesser evil that turn based combat and getting attacked without any ability to respond until your turn, not to mention the lenght of the game with separate turns....

CS

Interesting point. I haven't played MP since the days of having to buy CivNet to play Civ 1 with my buddy. I can't remember does the game wait for everyone to have the turn loaded or does computer speed come into the equation of who loads the given turn first? I guess reflexes would come into play cycling through troops with hotkeys too... That said I hope the multiplayer rules. I'll always prefer SP but, as long as you go into a game ready to lose to some silly things, you can enjoy MP in this game or any other pretty easily. Most people that play computer games online after the first few months are the people that are really good at the game and that's why most people don't like MP online, it's just not fun. I like to lose a game here and there just to make me enjoy playing the AI in games that much more, I'm a winner there! But on point, Steam hasn't given me any problems playing games online, and I play Bad Company 2, Borderlands, and Dawn of War 2 so some pretty fun ones to play online. So I think there are lots of good things to look forward to at this point.

Whatever the regular MP system is for quick games, it will be boring and annoying, but that's just because of how the civ game is. There will be a contigent of players who enjoy the equivalent of axe-rushing every game and more power to them, but that's all you can expect out of typical matchmaking-style MP anyway.

I do hope something equivalent to pitboss and IP connections exists though, so you can play more reasonably paced MP games with folks.

I think clearly the <unit XYZ whose stats we don't know yet> will be overpowered, while the <UA ability whose impact we can't evaluate yet> will obviously be useless.
Plus, OOS errors.

I think I remember reading somewhere that OOS errors are not in Civ 5.

Since my crystal ball is currently on the fritz, I'm afraid I cannot accurately answer a question that wants to know something that is impossible to know in the present.

Totally agree, the amount of people saying "what do you think this will be like" and so on, on topics we know nothing about are a little annoying, first of all people, learn what information we do have, or ask a simple question like "what do we know about Multiplayer yet" before ramming home some "do you think the games will keep drpping out?" very specific and completely redundant questions.

The AI will cheat... as always! My friends will cuss at it and my computer will slow everyone down. Nothing will change. :)

the first problem in multiplayer will be... ppl

the first problem in multiplayer will be... ppl

Well apparently we won't have to worry about bossconian and his like minded firends, they won't be their :p

CS

Well apparently we won't have to worry about bossconian and his like minded firends, they won't be their :p

CS

When CIV IV was released there were many games on the market with proper multiplayer mode implemented. The 2k/fraxis doesn't give damn about constant complaints and clearly broken multiplayer mode. The whole lack of managibilty and reliability of multiplayer mode is just a big JOKE. Just imagine playing starcraft where you need to update location of hundreds of units every single fraction of second having such a lag and issues as CIV IV has. Have you guys ever played a game (3 years old by now) called world in conflict ? Have you seen how the multiplayer has been implemented ? Seemles map downloading / game management / stats / comunity etc... i don't think CIV V will get anywhere close to reach these standards if it will try at all.

Also to all you guys wondering what's the multiplayer like in CIV. Just try to play this mode one day and see how huge potential it has if only the implementaion was properly done. Don't worry about simiultaneus moves - it just works great.

Top Bottom