Archaeology and DLC Civs

ahawk

King
If there's any more DLC coming, I hope we get at least one civ that has uniques that deal with Archaeology. Archaeology is the one mechanic that BNW added that wasn't accompanied by any civs that directly interact with it via uniques. Yes, France was changed to get better theming bonuses, which is a sort of indirect way of having Archaeology-based uniques, but it's merely a passive bonus and depends mostly on getting the correct wonders in Paris. And even then, those wonders primarily deal with Great Works, not artifacts.

There's just so much that could be done with Archaeology and unique bonuses. A civ could have a UA that gives extra science for every artifact dug up. Or a UA that provides double culture and double tourism on every artifact that is from the civ itself. Or an Archaeologist UU that can defend itself (a la the Legion being able to build roads). Or a UB that has a Great Artwork/Artifact slot that, when filled, provides extra faith. Or a UB that provides extra science in relation to how many artifact slots are filled in the same city.

There's a lot of potential. I'm surprised there wasn't a civ included that dealt more specifically with Archaeology since it's a fairly active system (as compared to the far more passive Ideology system which was really just a tweaking of Order-Autocracy-Freedom SP trees).

I don't know what civs would go well with this, however, especially as several good candidates (England, France, Germany) already exist. But if there are DLC civs yet to come (which there very well may not be), then I certainly hope they go this route.

Any good civs you folks can think of for focusing at least one unique on Archaeology?

I wouldn't mind seeing one, it's just hard to think of one. The ones that stand out are already taken.

If they truly are giving Germany a makeover, this could be part of their new Unique set.

"Hitler can have the world, but he can't take it with him. I'm going to be drinking my own health after he's gone the way of the dodo." - Walter Donovan

I could see dig sites functioning somewhat like holy sites in that they could get small bonuses from different policies or civ bonuses. Well this exists already to some extent, but I could see it being expanded a bit.

For example a rationalism policy could provide a bit of science from the dig sites, that would be perfectly appropriate. Or an order tenet could add a bit of production. Freedom already has a nice culture boost. Maybe for autocracy, something like "civs with a smaller military won't demand to stop digging"

Well I would like to see burial tombs getting an archeology related change, like all burial tombs built before archeology would provide an artifact for example.

I wouldn't mind a CIV with the ability to build an antiquity site(with limits obv.), I hate finding out the hard way that my capital doesn't have one in range.

Maybe the ability to pick one up and move it?

I'm not really sure what civ could get bonuses for it, but there could at least be some more social policies or religious bonuses that benefit dig sites.

Sumer could be a civ that has an archaeology UX. If I recall my history correctly (I may be mis-attributing this to Sumer, but it was definitely one of those Mesopotamian cultures) there was a building that was excavated in Sumer that housed much older artifacts from previous periods, complete with cuniform tablets describing the artifacts. In other words, a museum.

Top Bottom