Unique civ units not unique

stancollins

Chieftain
Have I missed something? I thought 'unique' units could only be built by the one civ the Civilopedia says can build them. However, so far I have seen Chinese Minutemen, English Siege Towers, and Siamese War Elephants.

Have I missed something? I thought 'unique' units could only be built by the one civ the Civilopedia says can build them. However, so far I have seen Chinese Minutemen, English Siege Towers, and Siamese War Elephants.

Militaristic City states can gift unique units from a certain civ.

Militaristic CS can gift unique units from a civ that is not in the game. So yes, they are unique because that civ does not exist.

Also city states can gift you a merchant of venice if you complete the patronage tree and if the AI open a policy tree they can build the wonder that requires that tree but it doesn't show up that they've opened the policy tree on the policy screen (until they take a policy square from that tree).

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for the quick replys. I knew about the CS gifting, but I didn't know they could gift units they couldn't build for themselves. Seems wrong somehow, but, c'est la vie.

Well, each militaristic civ has 1 unique build they can gift and will gift it over and over till they out-tech. They can gift Khans in addition to Merchants of Venice as others have said.

Thanks for the quick replys. I knew about the CS gifting, but I didn't know they could gift units they couldn't build for themselves. Seems wrong somehow, but, c'est la vie.

If you hover the mouse over the "militaristic" on their screen, you'll see the unit they can gift and the tech you need to reach before they'll do so. Its always an UU from a civ not in your current game.

If you hover the mouse over the "militaristic" on their screen, you'll see the unit they can gift and the tech you need to reach before they'll do so. Its always an UU from a civ not in your current game.

However, they will never gift naval or air unique units. Unfortunate, kinda wish that if it was out of scope for a Militaristic CS, that maybe a Maritime CS would gift naval ones instead, but eh.

Whoa. This changes so much about how I play the diplomatic game.

I think that is by far my favorite feature in Civ5. I love those UUs, and now I finally learned how to get them. Thanks Loucypher :)

yeah, way back in GnK you could get a UU of Barbarians the "Barbarian Swordsman" which do not require iron and lesss powerful than the original swordsman. IDK if its fix in BNW.

I often invest in CSs with interesting UUs. In my current Shoshone immortal game i have collected 4 keshiks, 4 mandekalu cav, a hussar and a siphahi. The keshiks where very helpful to whittle down the gazillion of the defenders of Assur and finally the city itself.

I was in the midst of a defensive war and I kept getting those damned siege towers which were absolutely useless to fend off my attackers.

GEE THANKS!

I did put some Winged Hussars to use in another game, and then gifted them back because I couldn't upgrade them after the war.

My last game as Morocco, I had like 4 horses in my entire empire and a CS I was allied with kept giving me Mandekalu Cavalry; I was in negative horses and not playing a very war-heavy game, so cavalry that focused on taking cities was pretty useless. It was nice once I could finally upgrade them to Morocco's UU, though.

I was in the midst of a defensive war and I kept getting those damned siege towers which were absolutely useless to fend off my attackers.

GEE THANKS!

I did put some Winged Hussars to use in another game, and then gifted them back because I couldn't upgrade them after the war.

Early on they are not bad on D. Just shield yOur range with them, they can take a punch and lots of shots;)

Top Bottom