[BtS] American Civil War

yea, I'm using one of The Capo's LH's for now, but I'll put yours in once its done. I have thought about revDCM, not completely sure on that though. I'm just trying to get most of the easy stuff done now, (adding more units and buildings), and scenario creation. Then there will be a playable-yet-unfinished version, then I'll start adding some events and refining balance.

thanks Brownsfan02.

well I went ahead and merged in RevDCM, its well on the way, many things are nearing completion. I also updated the first post, and re-uploaded the latest version, with changes as recently as 20 minutes prior to this post.

Everything is working just fine, we just need to add more content and finish the scenario, so its not too far. If you actually download the latest version and load up the map you will see that most of the cities are placed, so we're making so good progress I think.

though its mainly only released so kevinman or anyone else helping me has my latest changes.

I didnt play the mod yet but make sure to put capturing cannons and war ships.

Rapid Share works badly. I've tried downloading the file ten times now, but each time it says that they're full and that I need to wait for at least two minutes. I need to retry this evening, perhaps. That's real sad, because I have nothing to do right now and I was seriously looking forward to whiling away sunday afternoon with your Civil War.

Do you have an alternative DL, perhaps?

I hope my Hundred Years' War on FileFront doesn't receive the same treatment by them.

I'm a big fan of the US Civil War and it's one of the few historical periods after the Middle Ages that actually hold my attention. I'll DL later and share my opinions. It sure looks and seems good already though.

yea, its not really playable right now.. I mean you can play, but its not totally set up yet, mostly just the map is working (with the wintermod) and most of the mod's "guts" are there, just need more content and scenario creation.

Your right rapidshare sucks, I'm going to find a new host soon. It even makes me wait 30 seconds and I have a collectors account (the best free one).

I uploaded the first version of my Hundred Years' War to a site specific for computergame mods. That site was very beautiful and had me assigning pictures for backgrounds on my download pages and so on. However, something with the upload didn't work OK, so I left in a haste. I think such a site, specifically for mods, would be in our interest here.

And tell me if you find something better. I'm in the market for a new carrier for my files too!

Oh yeah! I can envision all the different kinds of scenarior you could make. My Hundred Years' War posed masses of scenario possibilities and so does the ACW. A Rebel scenario trying to defend Richmond during the Seven-Days' Battle, or playing Lincoln on those days in july -63 just before the turning-point battle with Confederate troops about to fall on Washington. It will be great.

And all the what-ifs you could do. British intervention on the rebel side, French troops swarming into Texas from Mexico. Wow!

Looking forward to this one when it is finished.

thanks for your support. Been working hard at this, 14 additional resources added, probably more to come. Also some new special building types, routes, improvements, units, buildings, and much more. The scenario/map is also coming along nicely, it'll be ready soon.

These changes are not reflected yet in the download, so please be patient, we should have a working beta here in a month or two. You can check the development thread (my sig) for more details and pictures. You can sample the music that will be featured in American Civil War now you'd like, it is hosted at the library of congress website here's the link. It is quite exquisite I must say.

Also killmeplease is helping with merging his "Commanders" modcomp and "Defender Withdrawal" modcomp so we're in good hands.

Thanks,

Shiggs

not sure madviking, the downloadable version is not complete, but it should not cause any crashes. I suppose your updated to 3.19? Also this mod is not mac compatible, it contains a custom dll. Finally, we only offer English text support so if you play in any other language you may experience problems. Other than that, I have no clue, your the first to report something like this in quite awhile.

There will be a working version out here in a month or two, then in another month or two after that I will have a final release and it should be quite fun then. Its basically a total conversion mod, kinda like the revolutionary war mod that came with civ4 only about a thousand times better.

Also anyone interested, I just posted an excel sheet in the other thread showing a list of nearly all proposed units and some of their stats. We're getting close now!:)

I got Vista and English so that's not a problem. My version is updated too.

It may be a problem with the map? Because all the leaderheads (look like they) work, the error doesn't happen until JUST before I see that map.

When I extract I have 1,469 items (about 139 megs), so could there be a file missing?

I also have BtS in a weird folder; <user name> -> Documents -> My Games -> <Civ>, could that be an issue too?

yes, that is the issue, it HAS to be in C:\Program Files\......\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

you can load it up and see what I have done, but trust me, it won't be much fun until the next release or two. The working version on my computer is much much more developed than the downloadable version. Its actually 208mb on disk, and 1,948 files. (its still like 103mb compressed so not horrible to download)

After killmeplease adds his commanders and defender withdrawal modcomps, and I finish adding units, I will upload a new version. That should be sometime next week. The only thing left to do after that is finish some last minute buildings, scenario balance, and events.

we'll have a new version out soon. Mainly uploading so I can get some help setting up resources and cities on the map, but you'll be free to check it out and see the progress, though it's a fairly hefty download so I wouldn't blame you if you wait another month or so, when this will be fully playable, finally...

Anyhow, I was just gonna update the first post a little and post up some screens to show you some of whats to come...

Note that some of these unit arts art not final, they're still in development, and after we get more important things attended to, there will be at least double what you see here.

mostly bernie14's units, but I've been editing some of them, and much more on the way,
:salute:

Shiggs

kind of... I figured out how to do really easy re-skins, just using the color replacement feature in PS... well, sometimes you have to use other tools depending on the saturation, but I figured it out so changing some colors is really easy now. I'm no good with re-bones, so they'll still look similar, but its better than nothing. We're also gonna do some weapons swaps mixed in with some color changes, oh and just about all of the unit mesh groups and formation types still need some editing, most the art is on the backburner, its much more developed than can been seen from those pics.

oh and both your Juarez, and Davis are in already :D thanks

Oh yes. This is looking nice. I myself just recently learned how to do reskins. I can't do own units from scratch though, but rreskins can still make quite a difference. I've been thinking about reskinning the British Redcoat to become a Swedish Karolin cirka 1700. It wouldn't be too much of a challenge, as the basics are already there.

Can't wait for this mod.

new beta is uploaded... mostly so kevinman can help out with the map, but your free to check out the progress. i moved to mediafire for the DL, it should be better now. ;) Tons of new stuff added, I'll make a detailed list of all the changes I've made soo, but honestly its so much I won't remember it all. Almost all except some events and the map setup is done, so it won't be long till we're out of beta.

edit: also just massively updated the first post...

edited to the first post again to include an explanation of all the features and add to the credits for the current build.

Top Bottom