That Cyclic CTD is back again

1stcontact2035

Great Scientist
Well, wouldn't you know that the cyclic Crash To Desktop is back again. I played my first game - yes, my first game - in Civ V and I got to the future era but was poised to take over the entire map with armies amassing, when I ran into a cyclic CTD bug that basically ruined the game for me, again. Civ IV did the same thing and it ruined the game for months, I wouldn't play it until I found out they fixed the bug (and they didn't, actually, I had to wait until the expansion packs came out and honestly, I never did play the original Civ IV again). I like Civ 5, I really do, its a cool game. But for crying out loud, can a decent company make it. Like a company that actually puts care and quality into their products. We got crap with Civ 4 and now we've gotten what could have been a cool game with Civ 5 but its just so glitchy. I would like to play the game, but I get frustrated easily and playing this game when it really doesn't work (I also can't get the maps files to show up in any part of the game) is only going to be massively unenjoyable. So, with that said, I guess if someone knows of a way to fix this bug, that isn't frustrated or involves any tedious work, I'll appreciate that. And, at that, at least you now know that there's this bug as well.

1stcontact2035

Some more details (I left some out of the original post)... I crashed between turn 405 and 406, the computer didn't actually crash but froze and on CTRL-ALT-DLT and task manager the game crashed, no memory allocation problems whatsoever (the error was a very simply "Civilization 5 has stopped working" and I tried playing with DirectX9 on minimum graphics settings from the turn before this happened, and the exact same thing occurred (I had been on DirectX11 with medium graphics settings). I also ALT-TAB'ed out to check memory consumption the turn before, which was also in a war like that turn, and it was at 57%. So I wasn't using up very much memory (maybe more than I would have liked, but not all my memory and not even close to all of it). CPU usage was only closing in on one of the quad core processors. So, I think I was OK. I never went back before the last autosave because the autosave was saving 10 turns between them and that would have just ruined the game. I'd rather not play that game, end it, than go back 15/16 turns.

What are your system specs (especially Graphic card) and what size map were you playing on?

Pentium Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 5300 RAM, 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 4350 Video Card, Windows Vista SP2 32 bit... my computer's 3 years old but I plan on upgrading the guts some more pretty soon.

Large Map, Arid, Inland Sea

It is probably the large map that is doing "it".

Well, I did switch from DirectX11 to DirectX9 and knocked down graphics to minimum settings. I would have thought that would have bought me at least a few extra turns but the game died at the exact same place, the exact same way. It really doesn't seem at all like its just the large map. Though it could be. I won't rule it out just yet.

What happens when you scroll through the city view? The only thing changing is the background map. If I get through my current game, I am going to force myself to play a smaller map, and see how far I get.

Top Bottom