Should I buy Civ 5 with these specs?

WW_III_ANGRY

Chieftain
Hi, I know i meet the minimum requirements but I'm wondering if the game would be worth it with the specs I have.

I have a Windows Vista, 512 MB Geforce 9600 OC graphics card, 2 gigs of ram and duo core processors @ 2.1 ghz.

Would this run ok? Would it be minimum settings maybe? Are there any links to gameplay videos running at the minimum requirements?

Hi, I know i meet the minimum requirements but I'm wondering if the game would be worth it with the specs I have.

I have a Windows Vista, 512 MB Geforce 9600 OC graphics card, 2 gigs of ram and duo core processors @ 2.1 ghz.

Would this run ok? Would it be minimum settings maybe? Are there any links to gameplay videos running at the minimum requirements?

You can probably run small to medium sized maps at a low resolution. Anything more and your system is going to crawl or crash (from experience). Civ 5 is surprisingly very very resource intensive, check out the following link for details:

http://www.techspot.com/review/320-civilization-v-performance/

My specs are: Geforce 8800GTS 640mb, Win XP, Core duo 2.66GHz, 2Gig ram.

I can run all map sizes and have the settings on medium BUT late game, when the whole world is discovered and everyone has more units etc. it does lag and on average every 30th round or so has to load for 30 secs. And my resolution is very low, 1152x768.

I run a 2.4ghz dual core, 2 gigs ram, 8800gt 256mb, windows XP.

1440x900 rez mix of low/med settings

game runs smooth enough on standard maps, but late game can be an issue, however I rarely complete my games.

I'm thinking of buying an i3 laptop (integrated graphics). Does anyone out there have first-hand experience of how the game runs on this setup? Min settings is fine, but I'd like to play "large" maps.

thanks,

J

i ran civ v at 1920x1080 (just playable but not optimal framerate) on: mid settings DX10/11 client

Windows 7 32
Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz
9800GT 512MB
4GB DDR3

...then my 9800 died courtesy of civ5 and 1080p.

I now have a GTX460 1GB and the game runs fine on highest settings, not the smoothest in the world, but very good still

OP:
That setup will run the game on the DX9 version, with medium-high graphics and small to medium maps. The cheapest thing for you to upgrade to make the performance better would be more RAM (if possible make it 4GB total). If you can buy much better video card (probably at least nvidia's 400 series or equivalent for optimal performance) and CPU/motherboard (if a dual core at least 2.8 Ghz preferably more, if a quad core or higher at least 2.3 Ghz) but I understand this isn't an option for everyone. If you do upgrade your CPU you might need a new motherboard (which usually means new RAM as well) and/or power supply, new graphics card might need new power supply.

With your current setup you'll want to have a resolution absolutely no higher than 1660x900. Preferably 1280x1024 or 1024x768 (or even 1330x768). Probably at least a GT450 or GTX460 for the graphics for optimal performance. Vista may be alright running in the DX9 client (which isnt as taxing) but Windows 7 you will have to run in the DX10/11 client meaning you need to either lower your settings to low (maybe not minimum though) or get better hardware in your pc.

Protip: The DX11 client looks like on low, everything turns brown with red streaks if tessellation is turned off/down.

Terwill:
The processor might be alright as long as it's fast (3GHz or so) but the integrated graphics is a big no no, sorry the game probably won't even run at all.

Top Bottom