BNW's new flavor quotes

glenjen75

Chieftain
One of my favorite distractions while playing Civ is to research more into the "flavor" quotes that accompany the different techs, wonders, eras, etc. With the fact that I pre-ordered from Steam and had some spare time earlier today, I got started on this earlier than usual for BNW. :)

I figured I'd post what I've found so far using the sound clips (so no attributions - making it even more fun!) in case anyone else has an interest in this.

Wonders:

Borobudur: "When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky."

Notes: It will be interesting to see what attribution they give to the quote. Most internet references I've found to it attribute it simply to "Buddha", occasionally the slightly more encouraging "Gautama Buddha" is given. I've yet to find a reference that cites a source I could use to verify. In fact, there's a few folks who decry this as a "fake Buddha quote". I've found at least one claim that it might be a stanza from a 14th century Tibetan Dzoghcen text by Longchenpa.

Broadway: "Broadway is a main artery of New York cultural life - the hardened artery."

Notes: Every reference I've found ascribes this to Walter Winchell. They also all omit the word "cultural".

Globe Theatre: Totus mundus agit histrionem - All the world's a stage.

Notes: Another case where it will be interesting to see what attribution is given. Totus mundus agit histrionem (more literally translated as "The entire world moves/drives the actor") is the motto of the Globe, and probably was in turn derived from a longer quote by Petronius: "quod fere totus mundus exerceat histrionem" (because all the world plays the actor). "All the world's a stage" is also the phrase that begins a famous monologue from Shakespeare's As You Like It, Act II Scene VII

International Space Station: "Building one space station for everyone was, and is, insane. We should have built a dozen."

- Larry Niven
Interview with James Blackman (for Space.com) February 10th, 2000

Large Hadron Collider: sound file has music only

The Motherland Calls: "One of the hallmarks of a great nation is its ability to rise to its feet after a fall"

Notes: Was not able to find a source for this. Inclusion in the game was abandoned before finding a fitting quote, perhaps?

The Parthenon: "Earth proudly wears the Parthenon as the best gem upon her zone."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Problem

Note: The word "zone" is fitting on a number of different levels here: the more archaic meaning as a belt or girdle, and the more modern meanings of a distinctive layer/belt of rock or a division of the Earth's surface.

Prora: "This loss [of freedom] means the fading from human life of values infinitely precious to it. ... There only remain ironbound conditions of employment and trivial amusements for leisure."

- Alfred North Whitehead, Symbolism: Its Meaning and Effect

Notes: Original quote is “This loss means the fading from human life of values infinitely precious to it. The divergent use of individual temperaments can no longer find their various satisfactions in serious activities. There only remain ironbound conditions of employment and trivial amusements for leisure.” Whitehead was discussing how 17th century London had more freedoms than most modern (early 20th century) industrial societies. Interestingly enough, the quote is actually almost a decade older than the wonder it's associated with! :)

Red Fort: "When we build, let us think that we build forever."

- John Ruskin, The Seven Lamps of Architecture,
Chapter VI: The Lamp of Memory, section 10

Uffizi: "The painter is not simply someone who looks and who sees. Above all, the artist is someone who exposes a personal vision by rendering it visible."

Notes: Yet another I'm not sure how will appear attributed. I've found it sourced in a book entitled Botero: Philosophy of the Creative Act by Marcel Paquet (sometimes listed with Fernando Botero as co-author). It could also be that Botero, a contemporary Columbian artist, is being quoted directly.

Top Bottom