Idea: Religious Schisms in CiV

Drewbc

Chieftain
Hey everyone! Has anyone ever proposed the idea of Religious schisms? The addition of religion in G&K really enhanced the game and made things more interesting. But it can't be denied that religion is too heavily tied to the founder of said religion. This is both inaccurate and somewhat stale. And while I usually found my own religion, I feel like the bonuses one might get from being a follower can be negligible.
I feel like if you're playing a religiously passive game, and your neighbor spreads his religion to your lands, once you have a majority in your cities, you should have two options. One is to sit back and fall in line as say, a Christian nation. Or your other option, if you and the founder don't see eye to eye, could be to split from their religion altogether. If you were Christian, you could now break away as an Orthodox or Protestant nation. The original founder would now be Catholic and you would both have the original Christian beliefs. For Islam there would be Sunni and Shia. But now you would have the founder bonus and have the ability to spread your new true faith throughout the world!
Naturally this could be prevented on the part of the founder. The founder, if stronger, could threaten the heretic back into line with the threat of war, or make a deal and give them something in exchange for their obedience. And of course the number of schisms that could take place would be limited (maybe 1 or 2 per game) just like there is a limit to the number of religions that can be founded. So what do you think? I think a mechanic like this could really spice things up.

Top Bottom