Text Writers Wanted

NikNaks

Deity
Matty and I have got most things under control, but we don't have the time to write pedia articles for anything. Would anyone like to write (copying from Wikipedia is fine ;)) entries for the new leaders and civs? A few are already done, but most are not. If you're interested, here's what you'd need to do:
  1. Write or copy the text
  2. Format it so that it appears correctly in-game and place it between <English> tags
  3. Duplicate it for other languages (no need to translate, just copy)
  4. Post it here between
    Code:
     tags
    [/LIST]If anyone needs more info on the second point above, just say so and I'll do my best to explain, although looking at the core files from BtS is often more help than instructions :)  Of course, if you're sneaky, you can find text for some civs in CivGold or in other civs.  If so, post it here, but make sure to credit the mod you got it from.  We already have text for:[LIST]
    [*]Argentina
    [*]Australia
    [*]Brazil
    [*]Canada
    [*]Indonesia
    [*]Iran
    [*]Israel
    [*]Italy
    [*]Japan
    [*]Mexico
    [*]North Korea
    [*]Pakistan
    [*]South Africa
    [/LIST]I'm also considering using the normal BtS text for America, France and Germany.  So, any other civs require text, as well as their respective leaders (for whom we have no text for anyone).

EDIT: well I could get the text, but I don't really like messing with the codes in the game.

Its really fairly simple to do, Im just a old carpenter and do it fine, main thing is not have any typos. Also make sure you dont forget your < and />. Causes mass confusion but easy to fix. I use XML Marker, it will scream at you if you make a mistake. LOL.

I can help with this although i don't understand the coding stuff either. unless it's jsut basic HTML which i can manage?

Yes I am interested. I don't have a clue about xml, but i'm not stupid so if you reckon it's something that can be aesily picked up then yes i can help.

Haha. When it comes to actually doing work...there are always lots of promises and not a lot of actual work done.

NikNaks...how much is needed with diplomacyinfos, still in regard to getting the map up and running with the mod?

Everything should be done on my end I believe from all the civs/leaders/mapwork/and incorporating your buttons/flags, etc.

Matty,

re me:

I will help with this. But i do not have all day to spare, am currently looking after my daughter and i did initially say for both diplo and civilopedia that i would prefer to do the research for someone else to input as i'm just not literate with the most basic of the modding processes.

I will get back to you in the next few days once i know what i'm doing and niknaks can assign me some sections of the civilopedia. Having said that i can't help thinking it'd be quicker to divide work by skills.

ie a few people to research and send to someone who is literate in xml etc. at worst this makes use of people's knowledge that we're otherwise just not going to get otherwise unless they know xml etc.

however, as i'm not experienced in doing this like niknaks i'll take his word for it. as donald rumsfeld (probably not matty's favourite person) said 'there are unknown unknowns'!

Finished Text for Neutral States-

Code:
<TEXT>
 <Tag>TXT_KEY_CIV_NEUTRALSTATES_PEDIA</Tag>
 <English>. .. .. .. .. .Neutrality in international affairs is paractifced most notably by Switzerland, Turkmenistan, and Costa Rica.
 Belligerents may not invade neutral territory, and a neutral power's resisting any such attempt does not compromise its neutrality. A neutral power must intern belligerent troops who reach its territory, but not escaped prisoners of war. Belligerent armies may not recruit its citizens, but they may go abroad to enlist. Belligerent armies' men and matériel may not be transported across neutral territory, but the wounded may be. A neutral power may supply communication facilities to belligerents, but not war matériel, although it need not prevent export of such matériel.
 Belligerent naval vessels may use neutral ports for a maximum of 24 hours, though neutrals may impose different restrictions. Exceptions are to make repairs &#8212; only the minimum necessary to put back to sea &#8212; or if an opposing belligerent's vessel is already in port, in which case it must have a 24-hour head start. A prize ship captured by a belligerent in the territorial waters of a neutral power must be surrendered by the belligerent to the neutral, which must intern its crew.

. .. .. .. .. .Recognised as neutral-
 Austria (now a member of EU, see below) - neutral country since 1955, to maintain external independence and inviolability of borders (expressly modeled after the Swiss neutrality). 
 Costa Rica - neutral country since 1949, after abolishing its military. 
 Finland (now EU) - military doctrine of competent, "credible" independent defence, not depending on any outside support, and the desire to remain outside international conflicts. 
 Ireland (now EU) - a traditional policy of military neutrality defined as non-membership of mutual defence alliances. 
 Japan - constitutionally forbidden from participating in wars, but maintains heavily-armed "self-defense forces" and a military alliance 
 Liechtenstein 
 Malta (now EU) - policy of neutrality since 1980, guaranteed in a treaty with Italy concluded in 1983 
 Sweden (now EU) - Sweden has not fought a war since ending its involvement in the Napoleonic Wars in 1814 with a short war with Norway, making it the oldest neutral country in the world. 
 Switzerland - self-imposed, permanent, and armed, designed to ensure external security. Switzerland is the second oldest neutral country in the world; it has not fought a foreign war since its neutrality was established by the Congress of Vienna in 1815. 
 Turkmenistan - declared its permanent neutrality and had it formally recognised by the U.N. in 1995. 
 Vatican City - the Lateran Treaty signed in 1929 with Italy imposed that "The Pope was pledged to perpetual neutrality in international relations and to abstention from mediation in a controversy unless specifically requested by all parties" thus making Vatican City neutral since then.

. .. .. .. .. .[B] Switzerland [/B]
 Switzerland has existed  in its entire history as a strategic position, and a naturally fortified nation. Romans settled the land in 44 BC, it would be the first Roman settlement on the Rhine river.
 The entire region became part of the expanding Frankish Empire in the 6th century, following Clovis I's victory over the Alemanni at Tolbiac in 504 AD, and later Frankish domination of the Burgundians.
 Throughout the rest of the 6th, 7th and 8th centuries the Swiss regions continued under Frankish hegemony (Merovingian and Carolingian dynasties). But after its extension under Charles the Great, the Frankish empire was divided by the Treaty of Verdun in 843. The territories of nowadays Switzerland became divided into Middle Francia and East Francia until they were reunified under the Holy Roman Empire around 1000 AD.
 By 1200, the Swiss plateau comprised the dominions of the houses of Savoy, Zähringer, Habsburg and Kyburg. Some regions (Uri, Schwyz, Unterwalden, later known as Waldstätten) were accorded the Imperial immediacy to grant the empire direct control over the mountain passes. When the Kyburg dynasty fell in 1264 AD, the Habsburgs under King Rudolph I (Holy Roman Emperor in 1273) extended their territory to the eastern Swiss plateau.
 The Old Swiss confederacy was founded in the late 13th century as a unification of the Central alps. By 1798 Switzerland's legendary invinciblity, which had fought off Emperor Maximilian I in 1499, was destroyed by the Armies of the French Revolution. It would not be until 1815, at the Congress of Vienna, when Switzerland would be reestablished as a soverign sates. Do this very day Switzerland has not fought in a forieng war since its very establishment in 1815.

. .. .. .. .. .[B]Costa Rica[/B] 
  The northwest of the country, the Nicoya Peninsula, was the southernmost point of Nahuatl cultural influence when the Spanish conquerors (conquistadores) came in the sixteenth century. The central and southern portions of the country had Chibcha influences. However, the indigenous people have influenced modern Costa Rican culture to a relatively small degree, as most of these died from diseases such as smallpox and mistreatment by the Spaniards.
The first European to reach what is now Costa Rica was Christopher Columbus in 1502. During Spanish Colonial times, the largest city in Central America was Guatemala City. Costa Rica's distance from this hub led to difficulty in establishing trade routes and was one of the reasons that Costa Ricans developed in relative isolation and with little oversight from the Spanish Monarchy ("The Crown"). While this isolation allowed the colony to develop free of intervention by The Crown, it also contributed to its failure to share in the prosperity of the Colonies. Costa Rica was described as "the poorest and most miserable Spanish colony in all Americas" by a Spanish governor in 1719.
In 1949 Costa Rica formally demolished its Military

. .. .. .. .. .[B]Turkmenistan[/B]
  The territory of Turkmenistan has a long and checkered history, as armies from one empire after another decamped there on their way to more prosperous territories. The region's written history begins with its conquest by the Achaemenid Empire of ancient Persia, as the region was divided between the satrapies of Margiana, Khwarezm and Parthia.
Alexander the Great conquered the territory in the fourth century BC on his way to Central Asia, around the time that the Silk Road was established as a major trading route between Asia and the Mediterranean Region. One hundred and fifty years later, Persia's Parthian Kingdom established its capital in Nisa, now in the suburbs of the capital, Ashgabat. After replacement of Parthian empire by Persian Sassanids, another native Iranian dynasty, the region remained territory of Persian empire for following centuries.
In the seventh century CE, Arabs conquered this region, bringing with them Islam and incorporating the Turkmen into the greater Middle Eastern culture. The Turkmenistan region soon came to be known as the capital of Greater Khorasan, when the caliph Al-Ma'mun moved his capital to Merv.
Magtymguly PyragyIn the middle of the eleventh century, the Turkoman-ruled Seljuk Empire concentrated its strength in the territory of modern Turkmenistan in an attempt to expand into Khorasan (modern Afghanistan). The empire broke down in the second half of the twelfth century, and the Turkmen lost their independence when Genghis Khan took control of the eastern Caspian Sea region on his march west.
For the next seven centuries, the Turkmen people lived under various empires and fought constant inter-tribal wars. Little is documented of Turkmen history prior to Russian engagement. However, from the thirteenth to the sixteenth centuries, Turkmen formed a distinct ethnolinguistic group. As the Turkmen migrated from the area around the Mangyshlak Peninsula in contemporary Kazakhstan toward the Iranian border region and the Amu Darya basin, tribal Turkmen society further developed cultural traditions that became the foundation of Turkmen national consciousness.
Between the 17th and 19th centuries, control of Turkmenistan was fought over by Persian Shahs, Khivan Khans, the Emirs of Bukhara and the rulers of Afghanistan. During this period, Turkmen spiritual leader Magtymguly Pyragy reached prominence with his efforts to secure independence and autonomy for his people.
At this time, the vast territory of Central Asia including the region of Turkmenistan was largely unmapped and virtually unknown to Europe and the Western world. Rivalry for control of the area between the British Empire and Tsarist Russia was characterized as The Great Game. Throughout their conquest of Central Asia, the Russians were met with the stiffest resistance by the Turkmen. By 1894, however, Russia had gained control of Turkmenistan and incorporated it into its empire.
</English>
<French>. .. .. .. .. .Neutrality in international affairs is paractifced most notably by Switzerland, Turkmenistan, and Costa Rica.
 Belligerents may not invade neutral territory, and a neutral power's resisting any such attempt does not compromise its neutrality. A neutral power must intern belligerent troops who reach its territory, but not escaped prisoners of war. Belligerent armies may not recruit its citizens, but they may go abroad to enlist. Belligerent armies' men and matériel may not be transported across neutral territory, but the wounded may be. A neutral power may supply communication facilities to belligerents, but not war matériel, although it need not prevent export of such matériel.
 Belligerent naval vessels may use neutral ports for a maximum of 24 hours, though neutrals may impose different restrictions. Exceptions are to make repairs &#8212; only the minimum necessary to put back to sea &#8212; or if an opposing belligerent's vessel is already in port, in which case it must have a 24-hour head start. A prize ship captured by a belligerent in the territorial waters of a neutral power must be surrendered by the belligerent to the neutral, which must intern its crew.

Austria (now a member of EU, see below) - neutral country since 1955, to maintain external independence and inviolability of borders (expressly modeled after the Swiss neutrality). 
 Finland (now EU) - military doctrine of competent, "credible" independent defence, not depending on any outside support, and the desire to remain outside international conflicts. 
 Ireland (now EU) - a traditional policy of military neutrality defined as non-membership of mutual defence alliances. 
 Japan - constitutionally forbidden from participating in wars, but maintains heavily-armed "self-defense forces" and a military alliance 
 Liechtenstein 
 Malta (now EU) - policy of neutrality since 1980, guaranteed in a treaty with Italy concluded in 1983 
 Sweden (now EU) - Sweden has not fought a war since ending its involvement in the Napoleonic Wars in 1814 with a short war with Norway, making it the oldest neutral country in the world. 
 Switzerland - self-imposed, permanent, and armed, designed to ensure external security. Switzerland is the second oldest neutral country in the world; it has not fought a foreign war since its neutrality was established by the Congress of Vienna in 1815. 
 Turkmenistan - declared its permanent neutrality and had it formally recognised by the U.N. in 1995. 
 Vatican City - the Lateran Treaty signed in 1929 with Italy imposed that "The Pope was pledged to perpetual neutrality in international relations and to abstention from mediation in a controversy unless specifically requested by all parties" thus making Vatican City neutral since then.

Switzerland has existed  in its entire history as a strategic position, and a naturally fortified nation. Romans settled the land in 44 BC, it would be the first Roman settlement on the Rhine river.
 In the Early Middle Ages, from the 4th century, the western extent of modern-day Switzerland was part of the territory of the Kings of the Burgundians. The Alemanni settled the Swiss plateau in the 5th century and the valleys of the Alps in the 8th century, forming Alemannia. Modern-day Switzerland was therefore then divided between the kingdoms of Alemannia and Burgundy.
 The entire region became part of the expanding Frankish Empire in the 6th century, following Clovis I's victory over the Alemanni at Tolbiac in 504 AD, and later Frankish domination of the Burgundians.
 Throughout the rest of the 6th, 7th and 8th centuries the Swiss regions continued under Frankish hegemony (Merovingian and Carolingian dynasties). But after its extension under Charles the Great, the Frankish empire was divided by the Treaty of Verdun in 843. The territories of nowadays Switzerland became divided into Middle Francia and East Francia until they were reunified under the Holy Roman Empire around 1000 AD.
 By 1200, the Swiss plateau comprised the dominions of the houses of Savoy, Zähringer, Habsburg and Kyburg. Some regions (Uri, Schwyz, Unterwalden, later known as Waldstätten) were accorded the Imperial immediacy to grant the empire direct control over the mountain passes. When the Kyburg dynasty fell in 1264 AD, the Habsburgs under King Rudolph I (Holy Roman Emperor in 1273) extended their territory to the eastern Swiss plateau.
 The Old Swiss confederacy was founded in the late 13th century as a unification of the Central alps. By 1798 Switzerland's legendary invinciblity, which had fought off Emperor Maximilian I in 1499, was destroyed by the Armies of the French Revolution. It would not be until 1815, at the Congress of Vienna, when Switzerland would be reestablished as a soverign sates. Do this very day Switzerland has not fought in a forieng war since its very establishment in 1815.

The northwest of the country, the Nicoya Peninsula, was the southernmost point of Nahuatl cultural influence when the Spanish conquerors (conquistadores) came in the sixteenth century. The central and southern portions of the country had Chibcha influences. However, the indigenous people have influenced modern Costa Rican culture to a relatively small degree, as most of these died from diseases such as smallpox and mistreatment by the Spaniards.
The first European to reach what is now Costa Rica was Christopher Columbus in 1502. During Spanish Colonial times, the largest city in Central America was Guatemala City. Costa Rica's distance from this hub led to difficulty in establishing trade routes and was one of the reasons that Costa Ricans developed in relative isolation and with little oversight from the Spanish Monarchy ("The Crown"). While this isolation allowed the colony to develop free of intervention by The Crown, it also contributed to its failure to share in the prosperity of the Colonies. Costa Rica was described as "the poorest and most miserable Spanish colony in all Americas" by a Spanish governor in 1719.

The territory of Turkmenistan has a long and checkered history, as armies from one empire after another decamped there on their way to more prosperous territories. The region's written history begins with its conquest by the Achaemenid Empire of ancient Persia, as the region was divided between the satrapies of Margiana, Khwarezm and Parthia.
Alexander the Great conquered the territory in the fourth century BC on his way to Central Asia, around the time that the Silk Road was established as a major trading route between Asia and the Mediterranean Region. One hundred and fifty years later, Persia's Parthian Kingdom established its capital in Nisa, now in the suburbs of the capital, Ashgabat. After replacement of Parthian empire by Persian Sassanids, another native Iranian dynasty, the region remained territory of Persian empire for following centuries.
In the seventh century CE, Arabs conquered this region, bringing with them Islam and incorporating the Turkmen into the greater Middle Eastern culture. The Turkmenistan region soon came to be known as the capital of Greater Khorasan, when the caliph Al-Ma'mun moved his capital to Merv.
Magtymguly PyragyIn the middle of the eleventh century, the Turkoman-ruled Seljuk Empire concentrated its strength in the territory of modern Turkmenistan in an attempt to expand into Khorasan (modern Afghanistan). The empire broke down in the second half of the twelfth century, and the Turkmen lost their independence when Genghis Khan took control of the eastern Caspian Sea region on his march west.
For the next seven centuries, the Turkmen people lived under various empires and fought constant inter-tribal wars. Little is documented of Turkmen history prior to Russian engagement. However, from the thirteenth to the sixteenth centuries, Turkmen formed a distinct ethnolinguistic group. As the Turkmen migrated from the area around the Mangyshlak Peninsula in contemporary Kazakhstan toward the Iranian border region and the Amu Darya basin, tribal Turkmen society further developed cultural traditions that became the foundation of Turkmen national consciousness.
Between the 17th and 19th centuries, control of Turkmenistan was fought over by Persian Shahs, Khivan Khans, the Emirs of Bukhara and the rulers of Afghanistan. During this period, Turkmen spiritual leader Magtymguly Pyragy reached prominence with his efforts to secure independence and autonomy for his people.
At this time, the vast territory of Central Asia including the region of Turkmenistan was largely unmapped and virtually unknown to Europe and the Western world. Rivalry for control of the area between the British Empire and Tsarist Russia was characterized as The Great Game. Throughout their conquest of Central Asia, the Russians were met with the stiffest resistance by the Turkmen. By 1894, however, Russia had gained control of Turkmenistan and incorporated it into its empire.
</French>
<German>
. .. .. .. .. .Neutrality in international affairs is paractifced most notably by Switzerland, Turkmenistan, and Costa Rica.

Liechtenstein 

In the Early Middle Ages, from the 4th century, the western extent of modern-day Switzerland was part of the territory of the Kings of the Burgundians. The Alemanni settled the Swiss plateau in the 5th century and the valleys of the Alps in the 8th century, forming Alemannia. Modern-day Switzerland was therefore then divided between the kingdoms of Alemannia and Burgundy.

</German>
<Italian>
</Italian>
<Spanish>
</Spanish>

</TEXT>

EDIT-
Got some of this from Wikipedia.

Top Bottom