Game of Thrones

How is it that I can't play with the Westeros' map?

edit: Nevermind, I already sort it out.

By the way, I think that maybe Major Houses should have at least one city by the coast. It would be great if each important bannerman (Karstark, Umber, etc.) was a City State, and they automatically allied to their correspondent Major House except some (Bolton, Frey), just as they tend to 0, make them tend to 30 or more for the correspondent Houses (I know nearly nothing about modding, but that seems possible)

What's more, I think that maybe Civs should be able to control allied City States (bannermen) production, at some diplomatic cost (Although I don't know if that can be done). That way, Major Houses which aren't by the sea could have a fleet.

I haven't played the MOD for long, but it looks like all Civs have only one city. The Night's Watch should have the obvious three.

I got the map file out of the folder in the MOD and put it in the Maps folder of the game.

Alrighty, finally got a chance to play around with this :)

First, question: is the "Quick" speed it loads with the mod the recommended one? Without think I set it to Marathon by habit... and that didn't work out too well. Sucks to be the Greyjoys and have to spend the first fourty turns just building fishing boats cause you can't go anywhere until you get all the way up to Optics. And clearly, game speed isn't as huge of a factor in this as the default game.

Second: yes, we clearly need some more Civs, with Dorne, the Dothraki, and the wildlings as the next best choices to throw in (which would put the mod at nine). Few random thoughts maybe on them...

Dorne
Leader: Doran Martell
Unique Unit/Building: Sand Viper (can't recall if they actually have any special name for their military folks), would replace spearman or pikeman.
??? for the second

Dothraki:
Leader: Khal Drogo
Unique Unit/Building: Bloodrider (some kinda mounted unit, probably to replace knights)... and again, dunno what the second should be.

Wildlings
Leader: Mance Rayder
Unique Unit/Building: Tons of possibilities... dog chariots, mammoths, giants on mammoths, Free Folk...
Civ Trait: Due to Mance's ability to unify such varied peoples, they should work similarly to Germany in the default game, and anytime they take out a Barbarian encampment there's a chance of the barbarians joining them.

That would leave a minimum of three more to throw in... I'd personally like to see the Boltons, as Roose himself is a legitimate power player. Unfortunately, it'd seem beyond the four I've already named it starts getting a little trickier. Definetly feels like Renly should be represented, since he was one of the five in the "War of Five Kings", though that might be a little on the tricky side, too. Then you've got the deal where we have Cersei leading from King's Landing a House of Lannister, but Lannister itself is also at the same time a City State... which seems incredibly weird, but can see why it's like that, at least for now... though part of me really thinks they should all just be one.

Of course you've also got the whole Petyr Baelish and the Vale and such that could be toyed with... maybe? /shrug

Would love if Essos was a little less sparsely populated... but Christ, hard to argue that most of it isn't much better suited to city state status (the Free Cities, Qarth, and so forth...). The Lhazar, the Ghis? Not exactly the most amazing sounding civ ideas, and there ain't much in terms of info about them. I will throw the Summer Isles out as one that'd be a nifty addition (not to mention they have their own little piece of the world already), but again, not a lot of info on them. But hey, it's an idea.

And I just now noticed you've already got Arryn, Tully, and Martell set for the future. Well, that's what I get for not reading carefully. Whatever, I'll leave all I said, maybe there's still a good idea in there.

Overall though, I've so far really enjoyed the mod. I would just love to see it get a chance to be fleshed out some more. Wouldn't have anything against leaving the Night's Watch as a Civ, either. Making them a city state would mean either leaving some of their castles out, or making them seperate entities, leading to the weirdness of Castle Black demanding someone take out Eastwatch for them. Still, I like the idea of them being a playable faction, even if it's a tad weird.

Maybe Dothraki unique units should be a kind-of Keshik and an Arakh wielder, or something like that. This would reflect Dothraki complete superiority in cavalry and obliteration every other single way of fighting.

The UA maybe should be some Open terrain bonus for cavalry

Then please help me! I tried too but I didn´t.

edit: now I have...

What - and even after asking YOU did not update to help me!?!

Please, I cannot seem to play on the map - do I need a separate Westeros map? I do not get the 'play scenario' button nor is a Westeros map in the map options. Help!

The same happened to me. You have to look for the map file in the mod's folder, and then put it in the "Maps" folder of the game.

The same happened to me. You have to look for the map file in the mod's folder, and then put it in the "Maps" folder of the game.

Thanks, this worked perfectly!

Now... is anyone working on updates? I don't actually know what's involved but I would love to help put flesh on the bones of the other houses :)

Thanks Kwadjh for a great alpha build. It got me playing Civ V after some time off - although I'm only on the second book so I wasn't too happy when I read Robb's "lived" information :o|

I'd love to spend some time playing with the mod but I don't have any experience doing that - I have the SDK with modbuddy but I can't figure out how to load your mod as a starting point. Do I need a project file or something like that? Or, if I change the XML files directly, how do I get the game to recognize and load the revision?

FYI, what I want to do first is update the map of Essos based on info in the Wiki, including adding in the Free Cities; Change the watch to a city-state and add Oldtown; and make all the major houses of the 7 kingdoms playable.

All i need is a push in the right direction with the resource files!

G

Hello,

First, Thank you. It's a pleasure to see some people enjoying the mod, even if it's far from the end. I lack the time and haven't work on the mod since last october, so I don't have all in mind concerning the SDK and modbuddy.

You may directly edit some xml files, but the best way is to work on project files, since Modbuddy enable to choose the xml files you want to upload or not, and a lot of other things.

I think you have almost all you need to work on the mod, since you have all core information. You have to create a project with modbuddy, then add, one by one the game of thrones files to your project and it should work.

I could send you my project file, but I was already working on the V8, so I am almost sure it won't work.

However, if you are just beginning with modding, I strongly recommend you read the Tutorial first. Then, look at the files to understand how it works, where the informations are, etc.

It's a really long process. But all you need is time and will.

I will help you. I may also work again on the mod in some days or weeks.

FYI, what I want to do first is update the map of Essos based on info in the Wiki, including adding in the Free Cities; Change the watch to a city-state and add Oldtown; and make all the major houses of the 7 kingdoms playable.

Concerning this, I was also planning to add all major houses of the 7 kingdoms and change the watch to a city-state, but we first need a bigger westeros map.

Good news, I finally manage to edit a map with the good size and begin to shape the continents of Westeros and part of Essos.

As one of you an Idea where I may post the files again, since Megaupload stop working ?

Kwadjh

You have to create a project with modbuddy, then add, one by one the game of thrones files to your project and it should work.

I could send you my project file, but I was already working on the V8, so I am almost sure it won't work.

However, if you are just beginning with modding, I strongly recommend you read the Tutorial first. Then, look at the files to understand how it works, where the informations are, etc.

Yes I downloaded Kael's guide; I actually started changing the xml manually then realized the modbuddy would be much easier. If you have an archived version of your v7 to start with rather than loading in the info one file/directory at a time I would really appreciate it :)

I don't know where to go without megauploads, but for now you could email me lawtalkingguy at gmail dot com.

Concerning this, I was also planning to add all major houses of the 7 kingdoms and change the watch to a city-state, but we first need a bigger westeros map.

Good news, I finally manage to edit a map with the good size and begin to shape the continents of Westeros and part of Essos.

I thought your map was a nice size... of course some of the 7 kingdoms like Arryn would not be very fun to play, but still :) There is another base map of just Westeros from another mod, Essos would need to be built from scratch. How big a map were you thinking?

G

Thanks Nutty.

Here is the new link :
http://www.mediafire.com/?coc91y95k54hbie

Here is the link with the project files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?u9o1cufvo48e2te

Here is the map I am working on if someone want to help :
http://www.mediafire.com/?imkut7ar4o97tr2

I thought your map was a nice size... of course some of the 7 kingdoms like Arryn would not be very fun to play, but still There is another base map of just Westeros from another mod, Essos would need to be built from scratch. How big a map were you thinking?

It's not a bigger map, the size is 80 x 120 instead of a 120 x 80.
It's fit much better the Westeros continent. It's the only way to have 12 civilizations and enought city-states.

Forcast civilization were : Stark / Baratheon / Lannister / Greyjoy / Arryn / Targaryen / Tyrell / Martell / Tully / Hightower / Frey / Bolton.

Is there a way to load the mod into modbuddy to work on it other than adding each of the resource files individually?

I don't really know.

If you put the project files "Game of Thrones" (second link of my last post) in the "Firaxis ModBuddy" Directory, can't you open the project throught Modbuddy ?

Ya sorry, my bad, when I looked at the message I didn't read carefully and thought you had provided different links to the same resource, not three different resources!

For the new map - it seems to be just a map of Westeros, not Essos? I assume Dany would become unplayable then. There is at least one existing Civ V of just Westeros that is large and detailed, for the Civ of Ice and Fire Mod. If you want to go just Westeros I would definitely start with that, it will save you a lot of work... But I liked the W+E map, and have already made some landform changes to Essos on your old version to make it more interesting and as described in the books! Perhaps an additional playable Civ in Essos would make it more playable?

Ya sorry, my bad, when I looked at the message I didn't read carefully and thought you had provided different links to the same resource, not three different resources!

For the new map - it seems to be just a map of Westeros, not Essos? I assume Dany would become unplayable then. There is at least one existing Civ V of just Westeros that is large and detailed, for the Civ of Ice and Fire Mod. If you want to go just Westeros I would definitely start with that, it will save you a lot of work... But I liked the W+E map, and have already made some landform changes to Essos on your old version to make it more interesting and as described in the books! Perhaps an additional playable Civ in Essos would make it more playable?

That's what I was thinking. Though beyond the Dothraki and Dany herself, there's little and less (see what I did there?) that can be argued as more than a city state. The Free Cities are the freakin' definition of City States, after all, and they're the biggest part of it. Maybe... the Lhazar and the Ghis? That'd give four civs on Essos, though good luck figuring out special units and city names for em'.

Speaking of cities... not sure if it was the intention or not, since it's just super alpha stage mod, but definetly feel all cities should be in place before the game begins. It's a bit annoying to be stuck at Pyke until I research everything I need to sail over to the other islands, then colonize them, and then finally start to grow. And hey, maybe make the default starting age high enough that Stannis and the Greyjoys aren't trapped on a single island. Of course, I can see how just having all the cities there to start with could cause some issues... how, exactly, do you divide up the North between Bolton/Stark and the Riverlands between Tully/Frey? Guess that's your call, won't complain either way considering even the super alpha stage was fun to play for me.

Oh, and the Wildlings, they absolutely need to be a Civ... but they'd really be more fun with the Night's Watch as a full fledged civ, and it's annoying when suddenly the Night's Watch is marching on Winterfell... and throwing down colonies left and right. Wanna know who was winning with ease during my game? The freakin' Night's Watch.

That's what I was thinking. Though beyond the Dothraki and Dany herself, there's little and less (see what I did there?) that can be argued as more than a city state. The Free Cities are the freakin' definition of City States, after all, and they're the biggest part of it. Maybe... the Lhazar and the Ghis? That'd give four civs on Essos, though good luck figuring out special units and city names for em'.

Yes, ignoring Essos is one alternative, but it's sad to lose Dani. Since any game can and will diverge from the storyline, there's no reason why someone couldn't take control of Qarth and decide to expand for a change, or a Dothraki horde and decide to learn siegecraft, but still we would have only a few civs and many city states on one continent, and most of the civs with hardly any city states on the other.

Ideas welcome!

Speaking of cities... not sure if it was the intention or not, since it's just super alpha stage mod, but definetly feel all cities should be in place before the game begins.

That's an option, or maybe could be an alternative scenario. I was thinking of giving the Lannisters both Casterly Rock and King's Landing, while giving the others their capital and a settler. Having the cities pre-built as per the story would be tough to weight to be fun i think...

It's a bit annoying to be stuck at Pyke until I research everything I need to sail over to the other islands, then colonize them, and then finally start to grow.

It's possible to start them with the tech needed to embark, or maybe even to give their units a free embark promotion, but I'm not sure about that.

how, exactly, do you divide up the North between Bolton/Stark and the Riverlands between Tully/Frey?

I think you pick a time, so the Starks control the north and Bolton is a city state (because i love Ned Stark haha)

Oh, and the Wildlings, they absolutely need to be a Civ... but they'd really be more fun with the Night's Watch as a full fledged civ, and it's annoying when suddenly the Night's Watch is marching on Winterfell... and throwing down colonies left and right. Wanna know who was winning with ease during my game? The freakin' Night's Watch.

Really? Wow, I took Starks and I started in first place and never looked back. had to stop building cities long enough to repel the first Night's Watch Attack, on the second I crushed them and took castle black and razed their other cities. Then I moved south past the neck against Cersie :)

Anyway it doesn't make sense that the tundra could support a civ, so something is wrong there I think! It would be much like the stories if the Watch were a city state and there were constant barbarian spawns north of the wall, so you could always curry their favor by sending up troops to fight barbarians :)

PS please remember I'm also just contributing ideas and haven't worked on the mod yet!

Yes, ignoring Essos is one alternative, but it's sad to lose Dani. Since any game can and will diverge from the storyline, there's no reason why someone couldn't take control of Qarth and decide to expand for a change, or a Dothraki horde and decide to learn siegecraft, but still we would have only a few civs and many city states on one continent, and most of the civs with hardly any city states on the other.

Ideas welcome!

Aye, I could see Qarth as a full-fledged Civ. I think the real issue is, if you removes Essos it means you have much, much more map room to spend on Westeros (which is by far the more detailed of the continents in the books, at least so far.) I'd be relatively happy either way. Sadly, don't think you can truly capture the scale of both continents in the same map. But hey, I'm no expert with the modding.

That's an option, or maybe could be an alternative scenario. I was thinking of giving the Lannisters both Casterly Rock and King's Landing, while giving the others their capital and a settler. Having the cities pre-built as per the story would be tough to weight to be fun i think...

Well, I've played many a real world-based mod that started with everything in place. Sure, you're probably not gonna be super awesome if you're Norway in a WWII mod, but that was part of the fun itself. I think the default mod should most certainly be set-up as an already functioning world, with an alternative one that "evens the playing field". The alternative would also really help the whole Bolton/Stark situation.

It's possible to start them with the tech needed to embark, or maybe even to give their units a free embark promotion, but I'm not sure about that.

Well, the Greyjoys and Stannis need something. Right now, being trapped on an island doesn't make much sense, and is more frustrating than anything.

I think you pick a time, so the Starks control the north and Bolton is a city state (because i love Ned Stark haha)

Perhaps, but the mod needs at least 12 full-fledged Civs (and I'm an advocate of "the more the merrier"), and the Boltons would be way up there in terms of powerful houses. I'd say some "creative licensing" would be a way to handle it. Give the Boltons the northeast corner of the north and the Starks can have the rest. Could even take it a step further and give the Greyjoys their northern holdings. Really though, the North as a whole is freakin' huge, and the Starks could use a little competition up there.

Really? Wow, I took Starks and I started in first place and never looked back. had to stop building cities long enough to repel the first Night's Watch Attack, on the second I crushed them and took castle black and razed their other cities. Then I moved south past the neck against Cersie :)

Awesome, someone needs to take Cersei down a notch!

Also, well... as mentioned, I was the Greyjoys. We didn't have the ability to embark across water to start with (though my research was tunnel visioned towards it), so by the time I could actually start to influence the rest of the world (beyond sending the Great Kraken out to attack random boats), the Night's Watch had already started to dominate. They're now massive, and have virtually all city-state level houses in their pockets (except the Boltons, who I managed to win over). As the Starks, you can most certainly start off by slapping down the Night's Watch, and you've got ample room for early expansion. As the Greyjoys, well... there is no such thing as "early" expansion, and the land available to us is a bunch of crappy islands crammed together. Just like it should be!

I am proud to say, however, that I successfully conquered first The Twins and then The Eyrie, giving use a solid foothold on the mainland.... neither of which was remotely easy. Indeed, two of the hardest sieges I've ever had in any Civ game were those two. Many Codds died... but whatever, no one likes those jerks anyways.

Anyway it doesn't make sense that the tundra could support a civ, so something is wrong there I think! It would be much like the stories if the Watch were a city state and there were constant barbarian spawns north of the wall, so you could always curry their favor by sending up troops to fight barbarians :)

PS please remember I'm also just contributing ideas and haven't worked on the mod yet!

Don't know what to tell you, but the Night's Watch basically said " it" and now have about a dozen cities north of The Wall. It's part of why I support a Mance Rayder lead Wildlings faction up their, as even with the Night's Watch as a big ol' city state, there's still gonna be a bunch of land up there that anyone can settle if they wished. I say make it mostly crappy tundra land (as it really is), and let the wildlings have all of it. They'll be big, sure, but done properly and most of their land will be too crappy to have any massive settlements.

Alternatively, as Mance Rayder you'd start with only one or two settlements and the rest "barbarian controlled". Still think the default German civ ability to have barbarians join you would be absolutely perfect for Mance, and I could see how this scenario would work out nicely. Ideally, Mance would have first crack then at actually settling up their, while getting to build up his forces from conquering barbarian encampments (along with the Night's Watch having to deal with barbarians). Would also mean others could try to run up there, but hey, can't be perfect.

Okay....

Here's a very, very crude map of what I sorta had in mind:

Brown question mark simply represtents the Wildlings being SOMEWHERE up there above the Wall.
Grey is Stark
Pink is Bolton
Goldish is Greyjoy
Light Blue is Tully
Medium Blue is Frey
Dark Blue is Arryn
Red is Lannister
Green is Tyrell
Orange is Martell
White in the bottom left corner is Hightower
Yellow is Baratheon (the question represent I'm really not sure if those lands should be Baratheon or Lannister for the sake of the mod)
Skagos goes to... /shrug. Skagos is a region that'd probably be a good place to make a city-state.

I based this off the OP's lists of planned civs, with the exception of Targaryen, but that's mostly because I have no idea where he'd want to cram em'. Obviously the region around King's Landing I have in red would be the historical holdings of House Targaryen, so maybe that's it. If you did that, then you could just throw all of the storm lands into the Baratheon's holdings (and give Dragonstone back to the Targaryens). Could be the fact that my reading has currently only gotten to a little past halfway through Dance with Dragons so far, in which case I'm just ignorant and you can ignore me for about a week until I'm done. :blush:

Also didn't mark down any City-States, as you can see, and there should probably be a number of em'. Skagos, the Arbor... maybe Harrenhall since everyone and their mom has held it at some point or another. Really, I think it comes down to which minor houses/holdings should be utterly loyal to their respective leaders and who should have enough autonomy to switch sides during the course of the game.

Top Bottom