10 New City States?

If anything, a new religious city state will be added. Brussels will not be religious.

That says to me that there may be more city states coming more than there may be a Belgian civ.

That's what I thought about it too, but the one that makes the most sense to switch.

Agreed, there would be many better choices for a religious city state than Brussels, (or Florence or Antananarivo). The latter also screws up "the formula", no? So are there even more city states around for diversity? Sth like 14-14-14-10-10? Which would mean that the chance of not getting any city state of a particular type on a smaller map rises, right?

We'll see...

What formula, we're still expecting a Maritime and Purple city state to replace Lisbon and a Peach and Mercantile to replace Marrakesh.

We can probably rule out Florence and Bucharest on their colours, which would leave Brussels to be switched. I have no idea why they'd do it, but then again, Geneva is a religious city state as well. We'll see what happens.

how about Venice as Mercantile? or replacing Lisbon ;)

Would fit with any of the patterns as Riga has taken it's colour type combination. In the cases of a city state being used in this way, the old colour-type combination is not reused.

Also, Lisbon is Maritime.

I agree
But also no sense in Bucharest or Florence being a religious city-state.
Maybe they will leave it as 12-13-12-8-7 after all

Florence produced Dante, Leonardo & Michealangelo and others so whilst that screams culture it also screams religious art. They definitely played a big part in the religious life of the region.

We can probably rule out Florence and Bucharest on their colours, which would leave Brussels to be switched. I have no idea why they'd do it, but then again, Geneva is a religious city state as well.

Geneva was essentially the birthplace of Calvinism, so having it as a religious city-state definitely makes sense.

Brussels, from what I know, doesn't have a similar religious connection, so I really do have no idea why they'd make it a religious city-state.

There are loads of potential holy cities. Check out this list just for Buddhism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_pilgrimage

For Christianity, you could throw in Bethlehem and Nazareth, Canterbury, maybe even Mt. Athos.

Confucianism: http://confucianismrevealed.blogspot.de/2009/12/sacred-sites-and-holy-places.html

Shinto: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto#Notable_shrines

Zoroastrianism: http://sacredsites.com/middle_east/iran/zoroastriansacredsites.html

Brussels will not be a religious city-state. I'd put money on it.

What formula, we're still expecting a Maritime and Purple city state to replace Lisbon and a Peach and Mercantile to replace Marrakesh.

We can probably rule out Florence and Bucharest on their colours, which would leave Brussels to be switched. I have no idea why they'd do it, but then again, Geneva is a religious city state as well. We'll see what happens.

Geneva makes lots of sense as a city state, after all Protestantism was founded there (one branch of it). Of course you can make reasons for any type for any city, but I have am really struggling to make a connection for Brussels and Religious. Especially as there are soo many other possibilities in that direction (Pagan, Amritsar, Qufu, Najaf, Kairouan, Lourdes, Avignon, Ife-Ife, Kuélap, shall I continue?). So if they remain logical, then either your theory is incorrect or they changed the formula, no? (to be fair though, Florence and Bucharest have some minimal connections to be religious, so it could very well be them).

I don't see Brussels becoming a religious city state.

-One alternative would be that Brussels is moved to mercantile (which at least makes some sense) and that whatever the peach colored replacement or Marrakesh is, is moved to religious.

-Another is that Florence is changed to religious and its colour changed. This has never happend before, but it has also never been necessary before because no previous change has led to a color/type conflict. And it is not like it would be a lot of work to change the color of a CS.

-Another is that Florence is changed to religious and its colour changed. This has never happend before, but it has also never been necessary before because no previous change has led to a color/type conflict. And it is not like it would be a lot of work to change the color of a CS.

Or they could have added one less cultured city state and one more different religious city state to escape the issue entirely. So it is still not necessary to force a colour change with this expansion.

I am baffled. Menzies, save us!

I believe Budapest/Bucharest (which ever) changed it's colour without changing type as it replaced Edinburgh.

Question, is there anything stopping devs from simply balacing out each type? why do Militaristic and Religious have to have few city states less than the other three?

Question, is there anything stopping devs from simply balacing out each type? why do Militaristic and Religious have to have few city states less than the other three?

The idea behind it is that those first three types are better in the yield they give than the militaristic and religious ones, so you want more of them on the map. But instead of coding it to have minimum and a pool for each type to ensure a balanced distribution, they just keep the "formula" equal. This way you have more randomness (= variety), but it can happen that you don't have any religious city state in the game at all, f.e..

-One alternative would be that Brussels is moved to mercantile (which at least makes some sense) and that whatever the peach colored replacement or Marrakesh is, is moved to religious.

Bingo, I think we have a winner. Going by the most logical and concise reasoning, this seems the most likely.

Bingo, I think we have a winner. Going by the most logical and concise reasoning, this seems the most likely.

Seems very round about though. They could have streamlined it significantly more than that with how many they added to each section, seeing as they've added to all of them. Plus, Brussels is not known for it's vibrant trade.

The most logical and concise reasoning to me is that they are adding even more city states. It just doesn't make sense to juggle them around so much when they are creating such a huge influx. :confused:

Brussels can't be made to be Mercantile. We know it is still Light Blue. Zanzibar is also confirmed as a Light Blue Mercantile city-state. Brussels and Zanzibar can't both be Light Blue Mercantile.

They actually did have multiple city states with the same colour type in Vanilla, but as they shuffled things about in Gods & Kings they changed them all. So far though, the only case where a city state has been given a known colour-type combination has been when it's been a replacement, so giving Florence religious and cyan would be a bit odd, but that could be a case of a black and white painted horse rather than a zebra. I don't think that's what would have happened though.

They don't seem to just change colours either. They have in the past used known city states as replacements (Lhasa and Budapest for Vienna and Edinburgh), but they've never just changed a city states colour. In the case that they used them as replacements they were the same type as those that they replaced (Lhasa would subsequently go from Cultured to Religious, but that's another story all together), but with a data set of two it could just be that it was more luck than anything else that they picked those two. It is entirely possible that Brussels could be used as a replacement for Marrakesh and a new religious city state may have been added instead, hence making the totals 12-12-12-8-8.

I believe Budapest/Bucharest (which ever) changed it's colour without changing type as it replaced Edinburgh.

It was Budapest.

I think they have them different for balance reasons as I'm pretty sure that city states are just added randomly, not weighted by their type. They could be balancing out their types all to 12, but I can't see it as we just haven't see enough new city states of the other types, by this point we should have seen most of them, having another 8 coming is a little bit of a stretch to think at this point. Statistically speaking if that were the case we'd have seen more by now.

Or they could have added one less cultured city state and one more different religious city state to escape the issue entirely. So it is still not necessary to force a colour change with this expansion.

I am baffled. Menzies, save us!

We have to think of it from their side, what did they decide? Whilst we're working the other way, they wouldn't have gotten the end and gone: "Oh, we've added too many cultural city states, better change some others", that's just not what would be done, if it were they would have just removed the last couple they added. Instead it's obvious that if they are indeed going for 12-12-12-8-8 they clearly made the decision to add more cultural and use a pair of cultural city states elsewhere. I don't know, maybe they came up with some primo cultural city state names and just wanted to use them, who knows. Maybe someone just some "give me some of that Kiev" over dinner, whilst someone else joked about adding Kyzyl, and someone thought that they wanted them in, I don't know...

Anyhow, there are various options for what has happened. I particularly like the idea that Brussels could have been used as the replacement for Marrakesh (so, it became a Peach Mercantile city state) and another Religious city state could have been added. But it could also be that Brussels has been changed to religious. I doubt that it's Florence or Bucharest, as it would probably require them changing more than just their type without it being a replacement, so I don't really see that happening. Oh well, let's see what happens.

Brussels can't be made to be Mercantile. We know it is still Light Blue. Zanzibar is also confirmed as a Light Blue Mercantile city-state. Brussels and Zanzibar can't both be Light Blue Mercantile.

It could be used as the replacement for Marrakesh though, which would make it Peach and Mercantile.

There is another option that has been done before as well, there just might not be a replacement for Marrakesh at all, and a cultured city state may be changed to Mercantile, but that would also work for Bucharest based on colours. I can't see Bucharest being made into a Mercantile city state from Cultured though...

It could be used as the replacement for Marrakesh though, which would make it Peach and Mercantile.
No because if I'm not mistaken, we know from picture evidence that Brussels is still Light Blue.

Isn't there still a chance that Florence is simply taken ought (*cough* Tuscan civ *cough*) and that will make the number of Cultured city states fit?

No because if I'm not mistaken, we know from picture evidence that Brussels is still Light Blue.

Isn't there still a chance that Florence is simply taken ought (*cough* Tuscan civ *cough*) and that will make the number of Cultured city states fit?

They're not going to have Tuscany and Venice.

Do you have a source that Brussels is still light blue? Scrap that, I do remember where I saw it too. If that's the case then it may have just been made into a religious city state, although I can't see why they would do that. They could have made either Florence or Bucharest a replacement for Marrakesh as well, and added a new religious city state, that is still possible too.

Top Bottom