Nations you have to hate, and ones you have to love.

GKShaman

Prince
I started this thread to get peoples opinions and experiences with the AI and countries. Includes G&K Countries.

My Experiences:

Aztecs - Never ever trustable. Ive had it be friendly until my scout ran into his jag archer rush.

America - Always been bad. Can be friendly if he is far, just gets worse as he gets closer.

Carthage - similar. Good if we are far away. I can be best buddies with Carthage. If shes close its all war.

Gandhi - have to be on his good side or defeat him

Elizabeth - just irritating. Never had a good experience.

Siam - ALWAYS I repeat ALWAYS backstabs. Can be HUGE if left alone. Sukothai (capital) is usually GIGNORMOUS.

Ethiopia - Really good. Never had problems. If you want to be chill with Ethiopia u can be.

Iroquois - never sign Open Borders with him. Or he'll settle his three tile cities near ur capital.

Thoughts?

Carfrickingthage.

I will win my culture victory over the ashes of your razed cities. If Carthage was really like this, the final Punic War was justified!

Me on turn two: "Oh god its a Greek scout."

Alexander: "Greetings! I am Alexander! Son of Zeus and heir to the gods!"

Me: :rolleyes:

Alexander on turn three: "I couldn't help but notice how pathetic you are, and when I realised it I couldn't help but share."

Me: :gripe:

Ethiopa is hands-down the nicest AI in Civ5. Very trustworthy, too.

@JFM2796:

I totally agree about Alex. It happened to me again last night in a new game I started.

You gotta Love Alex, being hostile the turn after you meet him. Once he settled his second and third city right next to my capital and like 15 tiles away from his.

He's a real douchebag.

I've never had good experiences with Americans either, but I guess I'm mostly pissed off by Washington's attitude. He plays the part of the one who only seeks peace and that only goes to war because I "leave him no choice". Meanwhile he conquers and expands in my territories without shame.

I prefer civs like Japan and Denmark, they often DoW on me, but they aren't being hypocrite and they are usually honorable both in defeat and victory.

china. I can't explain why, but china comes up in EVERY game I am in, and always has a hand in trying to screw me.

I was in a game sandwiched between china and Mongolia, they teamed up on me, I beat back china before Mongolia got their stuff together. eventually had a peace deal with both. well china spent the entire game pestering me, Mongolia became a friend, a friend who eventually joined me to down china(at the time I was a bit hesitant to go on the offensive, new to game)

then Ive had countless game after game where china just doesn't like me, covets my lands, and at some point will declare war, denounce me etc.

darn you china.

The Aztechs become an enemy more often and not, but their leader screen is so great I can't hold it against them.

I personally hate starting near Polynesia. They meet every civ and make DOF with them, but if you have close borders they get all uppity, thinking they're hard with their unique warriors. Then war comes and the whole world gets "friends we like more than you have denounced you" modifiers, screwing diplomatic relations for the rest of the game.

I really like monty. He's so cute with that knife of his. Just adorable. I love him so much I take out my own obsidian knife when I'm chatting with him. I'm afraid I'm gonna start yelling SHIMIKAKAN soon if it continues.
EDIT: I'd really like to know what does he say exactly. does anyone have a clue on what language he's speaking and what are his lines?

Ethiopa is hands-down the nicest AI in Civ5. Very trustworthy, too.

In the game I'm playing right now, up to a certain point, Ethiopia was trustworthy and forgiving. Even when I razed one of his city spams because it was in a place I needed to settle in, he was friendly when the war ended, like it had never happened. Then the english said that the Ethiopians were plotting against me. I ignored it. Thought it wasn't going to happen. Later on the same turn. That's right. The little @#$%er backstabbed me. I couldn't believe it. Since I was on prince, he failed epicly, but still! Not very high on trust list right now.

But man, you weren't expecting him to be genuinely friendly after you attacked him and razed his city, were you?

Elizabeth
Alexander
Ramkhamhaeng
Hiawatha

english: hostile towards me in every single game
greece: unreliable.
Siam: I don't like them and I think they don't like me too

iroquis: hey can you see? there is place for my settler!
me: dude that space is for me, I'll build my second city.
iroquis: sorry dude, I have to build my 37th city, I have to find more place, really sorry.
me: :(

I actually find that Hiawatha isn't that bad, even if your are on the same continent as him. From the very beginning of the game, try to be his friend and continue to do that for the rest of the game and his massive military won't be knocking on your door. But still, his city spamming is quite the annoyance.
I hate Alexander so much for every reason stated above. The turn after you meet him, he begins his tyrade of hostilities. City Spamming and a gigantic army just rub salt in the wounds. And even when you are clearly defeating him, he will not take a peace deal. He would rather you take every city but Athens before he will consider anything.
I really like playing with Haille Selassie, as he is really a great ally at all times. Even when you settle directly next to him, he wants to remain friends. I don't really see him using his UA much, which could make hi a force to be reckoned with.

I agree with Alexander, most games he goes hostile a few turns after I meet him.
Gandhi... I just played a game where he used all 30 of his uranium..

They are all horrible if you have a border with them. Just hate them all from the start and save yourself some time.

Ethiopia- trustworthy? Right- he will bombard you with missionaries and lie through his teeth about not sending them.

I love William of the Netherlands. Unless he gets wiped out of the game in early/mid (that happens often), he's always my best friend in all games. Never had him declare war on me, and I can't bring myself to do it on him either. He never expands far from his capital, and just sits there to build massive cities with his Polders. :rolleyes:
Napoleon is very aggressive, but also very likable. After putting up a real fight, he always asks for white peace, like the entire war was some sort of spontaneous challenge. He never bears a grudge after wars either, so I just find myself forgiving him every time he congratulates me for my victory.
Alexander, Montezuma and Catherine on the other hand...

I have actually noticed this querk about France and maybe its a aggressive AI thing.

In a game france rushed me within 30 turns. and sent three warriors and three archers to my 2nd city. Really early and my military was the warrior I got from the beginning and one more.

So I bought an archer and staved off the first assault. Then I finished iron working mined iron made another archer and warrior and had two archers, three swordsman. Then I approached frances border and asked for peace and got it.

Then he went to friendly. He even listened to me when I said "Dont settle near me." by saying sure and his settler turned back. Note: I didnt crush him or burn a bunch of cities. I just out-teched him and rapidly grew my military to be higher numbers than him. Also killed some of his units and "proved myself on the battlefied."

I didnt play the game through but moral of the story: Maybe its a aggreisve AI thing but if u outrank they'll leave u alone for a while. Or maybe u always just have to be at the top.

Other times though I have seen Elizabeth send warriors archers against composite and swordsman and say "I hope my armies get there."

Anybody else notice this?

Hate:
Cathage - Every time I see Carthage in a game I groan and immediately prep for war. She's so two faced, I assume she's about to go to war every time she makes a DoF with me, and I'm right a lot of the time.

France - always being a little sh*t to me

Iriquois - Oh you're on another continent, let me place my next city right next to you

Korea - oh thats a nice scientific wonder you're building there. It would be a shame if someone built it instead. Someone like me

England+Greece - always got something to say

Love
Polynesia: I'm always friends with this guy, I mean how can you not be, his leader screen and music are just so friendly

Washington: I don't understand the hate for him, I have never been at war with him, even when we've been neighbors

Ethiopia - Nice guy Halie Salasie

Top Bottom