Dealing with warmonger status

Althiosk

Chieftain
Austria got mouthy with china, so I was called in to mop up. Austria got suspicious about all those frigates, but I said nothing to see here. 10 turn delay ends, and I take all three of austrias cities in short order.

I was denounced by everyone. When was my status ruined: when I lied, when I declared war, or when I took the last Austrian city? I burned one city down, so I have 2 puppets and 6 built cities. Will I never have a friend again?

When you lied - You lost respect
When you declared war - You were marked as a warmonger
When you conquered most of Austria - Dont' think it mattered

Warmonger penalty is only applied to aggressors, when you conquer capital cities I believe it's bigger.

However, since you lied, you lost most of the respect of people and thus people trust you less, and since it is like a warmonger penalty (a pernament modifier) then it caused ALL to dip more into negative relationship, which includes most people dipping low enough for them to be either Guarded or Hostile towards you.

And although you may still find a friend, it's unlikely.

Yes. Forever alone (unless maybe Monty is on the map, he might still be friendly-ish towards you (on occasion)).

If it was your only War then yes, lying was the diplomatic downfall. If it was the second dow of yours then it wouldn't have mattered as you'd still be branded as warmonger in that case by pretty much everyone.

Now how to deal with warmonger status?
Spoiler :
KILL THEM ALL!

When you lied - You lost respect
When you declared war - You were marked as a warmonger
When you conquered most of Austria - Dont' think it mattered

Warmonger penalty is only applied to aggressors, when you conquer capital cities I believe it's bigger.

However, since you lied, you lost most of the respect of people and thus people trust you less, and since it is like a warmonger penalty (a pernament modifier) then it caused ALL to dip more into negative relationship, which includes most people dipping low enough for them to be either Guarded or Hostile towards you.

And although you may still find a friend, it's unlikely.

Declaring war is a very minor hit in BNW. Conquering is where you really rack up warmonger hate, and it gets worse the more of a civ you conquer.

Where you went wrong: you lied about those forces. The AI never forgives this, and it is a harsh penalty. Because of this, even your war partner will hate you, whereas under normal circumstances, a joint war gives you a bonus with your partners and negates all warmonger hate with them.

NEVER amass forces on the border unless you are ready to declare when you get called out. Your only chance for a friend now is your war partner, but if they are a known backstabber, you're SOL.

I have lost game on prince. I tried to make new strategy :) I've puppeted one civ in early war. I was fine. Happiness and gold... problem, but i solved it (+2 happy, +~gold). Then 3 civs declared war on me. Two of them took 2 cities by water attack (happiness went down, money went down). So, revolts appeared. I coulnd't fight with 3 civs, and revolts on my back. My 3 swordsmen died on one attack on enemy catapult, revo... barbarians plunderd my oh, everything.... When Siam bought 2 states and they attacked me I was dead :) It was good game. And I was warmonger :)

Top Bottom