Crusader Kings 2

I say this as someone who has generally supported Paradox's decisions in the past; I'm becoming increasingly dubious as to the direction this expansion is going. I'll withhold final judgement until later, especially since there are quite a few good things there, but still.

I like actually of every update. Vassal limit was something that had to be set because can can have only county-level vassals limitless in your huge empire. I had Roman Empire with only county level vassals and elective, since there were no dukes I could vote anybody on the throne and vassals were too weak and there were too many of them to form any plots against me. Downside was that technology did not spread but who cares about it.

I'm pretty sure tech not spreading is also to your advantage because your demesne was probably the most advanced place anywhere.

New CKII dev diary up, first for the Charlemagne expansion. Other than the Ibadi being it's own branch of Islam, and there being special decisions/events/something to simulate the Iconclast controversy, nothing much new that wasn't already known previously from the stream and dev comments. Still, I guess it does summarize much of what's known for those who aren't up to date.

Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rlemagne-Dev-Diary-1-Let-s-get-Early-Medieval

The Witch-King said:
Welcome to the Charlemagne dev diaries - and above all, welcome to the 8th century!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, scripter on the Crusader Kings II team, and in this first installment of the dev diaries for CKII: Charlemagne I will be talking about the new 769 start date and how we've chosen to represent that historical period in the game.

We've added a bunch of new cultures to the game. A few of these could arguably have been present in The Old Gods already, but going back to 769 we felt we really needed to shake up the map to properly represent the changing cultural landscape of the Early Middle Ages.

View attachment 115217

In Spain we have the Visigoths, and they are in the Iberian rather than the Germanic group, since the Gothic migrations are long since over and they have been living in the peninsula since the early 6th century. With time, Visigothic provinces are likely to eventually become Castilian, Catalan or Andalusian depending on location and which other religious and cultural influences they are subjected to. In northwestern Iberia we also still have the Suebi, an old Germanic people. They have their own culture shift events which may see the rise of Portuguese culture.

Looking north, we have the Franks. They are still Germanic but becoming more and more latinized. You will see them slowly turning into something we call "French"...

Other new cultures you will find are Saxons, Lombards, Picts and Somali. Also, there are no Russians yet, but instead various East Slavic peoples such as the Ilmenians, Severians and Volhynians.

We've revisited cultural dynamics in some other places as well. For example, the emergence of Norman culture is now somewhat more likely than before.

Regarding religion, the old Norse religion in the game is now referred to as Germanic. We decided to do this because with the earlier start date this religion exists well beyond Norse lands (specifically, the Saxons), and the old name also sometimes caused players to confuse it with Norse culture.

Moving further south, the Ibadi faith is now its own religion and no longer a Sunni heresy.

We've also added a new pagan religion, available only in the Charlemagne start. They are the followers of the sun-god Zun, which was historically the Zunbil dynasty in Afghanistan. They start out surrounded by Muslims and Buddhists, and this should provide an interesting and possibly quite difficult start, comparable to the Jewish starts.

And where are the Jews in 769, you ask now - you will find them in Semien in Ethiopia (sometimes referred to as Beta Israel).

View attachment 115218

Oh, speaking of the Norse, yes... with the new start date the Viking Age hasn't begun yet. This means that the Norse will initially not be able to launch Viking expeditions overseas. This will change the early game for them as they'll need to focus more on local affairs initially. Don't worry, though, a few decades in things will start happening for them and the continent will properly learn to fear the wrath of the Northmen.

Finally, let's look at some of the large empires in the 8th century:

In 769, the Byzantine Empire is embroiled in what historians call the "First Iconoclasm". This basically means that the emperor and patriarch (and most of the elite) follow the Iconoclast faith, where religious icons are condemned as idolatry much like in Islam. There is a choice for the emperor to either stick with Iconoclasm or renounce it (via a special decision).

Meanwhile, the Abbasids are the great blob of the 8th century. During this time, they historically ruled an area from the Indus in the east to the Maghreb in the west. Though "rule" is perhaps a misleading word in some cases. To reflect the fact that in reality they had limited control over many of their nominal vassals, we have made some of these areas independent in the game. But the Caliph still has plenty of de jure CBs and claims on those areas, so beware...

In Spain, Umayyad rule is fairly recently established, so you have an Arab Muslim dynasty ruling over mainly Visigothic Christian subjects.

View attachment 115219

Then there is the Frankish Empire. After Pepin died, his sons Charlemagne and Carloman inherited a kind of joint kingship over the Franks, with each of them ruling directly over a portion of the kingdom. In the game, this means the two brothers each have a king title but also a claim on the other's title. With powerful neighbors such as the Lombards, the Umayyads and the pagan Saxons, things may get very interesting here.

As you can see, the world in 769 is quite different from later starts, with many period-defining events still to unfold. Things such as the Holy Roman Empire (yes, you can found it), Vikings, Normans and Russians are still unheard of. There aren't even that many Karlings yet (!).

The 8th century is a strange and wonderful place. We hope that you'll enjoy it.

I just got caught up with the first dev diary. Does anyone else think they are going to go all the way back to the Fall of Rome and try to model everything from the Dark Ages onward?

The culture shifting idea is nice, but I have only seen that work really well for England. I rarely see Norman culture evolve in 867 starts, and I'd imagine it's going to be difficult to balance the rates of culture spread and ruler conversion. Especially since they need to pay more attention to christianization and hopefully the Great Schism.

The culture shifting idea is nice, but I have only seen that work really well for England. I rarely see Norman culture evolve in 867 starts, and I'd imagine it's going to be difficult to balance the rates of culture spread and ruler conversion. Especially since they need to pay more attention to christianization and hopefully the Great Schism.

Didn't they already say they weren't going to model the Great Schism?

I just got caught up with the first dev diary. Does anyone else think they are going to go all the way back to the Fall of Rome and try to model everything from the Dark Ages onward?

I really hope not. The dark ages need their own game, the Frankish feudal model from the high Middle Ages they use wouldn't work well with the migration era, at any rate.

Even the English melting pot can be wonky. From my experience as a modder, melting pots are notoriously frustrating to deal with, not so much in the difficulty of coding them (Kyou only really need a little experience to pull one off, or just copypasta the English one), but because they can be very unpredictable. For instance, in the old version of the CKII+ mod there was a Crusader/Outremer/Levantine melting pot, but it was really wonky and sometimes you'd see the cultur in random parts of Europe.

Didn't they already say they weren't going to model the Great Schism?

In one of the streams they mentioned there wouldn't be any great shiscm - they'd considered it but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

New dev diary up, kinda short, but talks about 1) dynamically created kingdoms and empires, 2) the chronicle thingymajig, and 3) going into hiding. LInk: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...emagne-Dev-Diary-2-Kings-Queens-and-Murderers

I know that a lot of people are excited about dynamically created kingdoms and empires, but they look boring to me. I'm most interested in the hiding aspect, which seems like a nice RP feature.

Text for those who can't/don't want to see the link:

Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

Click image for larger version Name: ck2_18.png Views: 6406 Size: 3.37 MB ID: 115592

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

Click image for larger version Name: ck2_10.png Views: 6761 Size: 3.03 MB ID: 115594

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

Click image for larger version Name: ck2_16.png Views: 6526 Size: 3.46 MB ID: 115593

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

I really hope not. The dark ages need their own game, the Frankish feudal model from the high Middle Ages they use wouldn't work well with the migration era, at any rate.

Even the English melting pot can be wonky. From my experience as a modder, melting pots are notoriously frustrating to deal with, not so much in the difficulty of coding them (Kyou only really need a little experience to pull one off, or just copypasta the English one), but because they can be very unpredictable. For instance, in the old version of the CKII+ mod there was a Crusader/Outremer/Levantine melting pot, but it was really wonky and sometimes you'd see the cultur in random parts of Europe.

Yeah, if you start adding a bunch of location-specific conditions amongst others, then chances are the events won't fire and you won't have the cultural development. If you put down too few, then you get oddball effects. Kind of a Goldilocks problem.

The Game of Thrones mod tried to work colonization into the game, but I think it's clunky. It'd be hard to pull off without a massive redesign.

In one of the streams they mentioned there wouldn't be any great shiscm - they'd considered it but decided it wasn't worth the effort.
Yeah, unfortunately. :undecide:

:(

New dev diary up, kinda short, but talks about 1) dynamically created kingdoms and empires, 2) the chronicle thingymajig, and 3) going into hiding. LInk: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...emagne-Dev-Diary-2-Kings-Queens-and-Murderers

I know that a lot of people are excited about dynamically created kingdoms and empires, but they look boring to me. I'm most interested in the hiding aspect, which seems like a nice RP feature.

I wish I had player-created kingdoms in my current game. I'm playing as a massively powerful duke of Saxony that is split between East Francia and Pommerania. I eventually sacked the rest of Pommerania and grabbed that king title because I can't expand in the HRE at the moment.

I doubt it. If they're not covering the Schism now, they're not going to. They're hardly EA.

Thing is, regarding the Schism, to all intents and purposes, the western and eastern churches were separate even by Charlemange's time. It just wasn't formally codified for a another couple of centuries. And even then, the exact date they formally did so is pretty hard to pinpoint.

Thing is, regarding the Schism, to all intents and purposes, the western and eastern churches were separate even by Charlemange's time. It just wasn't formally codified for a another couple of centuries. And even then, the exact date they formally did so is pretty hard to pinpoint.

When Pope crowned Charlemange can be pointed both de facto and de jure schism starting point. There were supposed to be only one Emperor in Constantinople and now Pope made clear to everybody that Byzantines did not control west and he was equal or higher.

When Pope crowned Charlemange can be pointed both de facto and de jure schism starting point. There were supposed to be only one Emperor in Constantinople and now Pope made clear to everybody that Byzantines did not control west and he was equal or higher.

But even before that, the east and western churches still acted like seperate organisations.

Third dev diary for Charlemagne is up. Link here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-II-Charlemagne-Dev-Diary-3-Ruling-the-Unruly

And, again, for those who can't go to the link or are too lazy:

Hello everyone!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the Crusader Kings II team, and I bid you all welcome to this week's dev diary for Crusader kings II: Charlemagne.

Autumn is coming in Sweden but the birds are still singing, though sometimes out of tune.

Today we'll be discussing some new changes that affect how you rule your realm. Some of these things are obviously patch content, while some are locked to having the Charlemagne expansion.

The first thing we've done is to add a vassal limit. This is exactly what it sounds like - a limit to how many vassals a ruler can have without receiving penalties. Every vassal of count tier or above will count against this limit. The vassal limit will be higher for rulers of higher tiers, and for rulers with higher diplomacy skill. Another factor that increases the limit is your dynasty's prestige. You can also affect your vassal limit by changing your Centralization Law (this touches on an important new law mechanic - more on this later in this dev diary).

So what are the penalties of going over your vassal limit? Well, you will immediately get a penalty to the taxes and levies for all your vassals. This penalty increases exponentially, and if you go far enough over the limit you will get no vassal taxes or levies at all.

The second danger of being over the limit is that when your ruler dies, there is a chance of any vassal simply becoming independent instead of swearing fealty to your heir. The risk of this happening increases the higher over the limit you are. Vassals who are geographically more distant from your capital are the ones who are most likely to declare independence.

We've also made a very important change to how laws depend on technology. Many laws are now unlocked by advancing your Legalism technology. Higher levels in this tech are needed to unlock higher levels of Centralization, Crown Authority, Levy and Taxation laws and Viceroy laws (again, just keep reading to find out more about this). This means that you will see a big difference in the tools available to organize your realm early game vs late game.

With these changes, Legalism no longer directly increases your demesne size limit, this modifier has been removed. Also, the short reign penalty modifier has been moved to the Majesty tech.

So, what does the Centralization Law do now? Well, firstly, it's a demesne law and so applies to your entire realm. Secondly, it has five tiers, going from fully decentralized to fully centralized. Lower centralization grants you a bonus to Vassal Limit, while high Centralization grants a bonus to Demesne Size Limit and a penalty to Vassal Limit. This presents the player with an interesting choice - do you want to focus on a larger, less centralized realm or on a stronger personal demesne but having a harder time of organizing your many vassals?

How legalism unlocks laws will be moddable to a large extent.

Now, to viceroys... With the Charlemagne DLC, it will be possible for a non-tribal emperor tier character to appoint viceroys to rule any kingdom or duchy titles that the emperor himself holds. This is effectively a lifetime governorship, where the viceroy becomes a vassal of the empire. Any landed vassal of count tier or above can be granted a viceroyalty. However, the viceroy does not own the title, but rather rules in his liege's name. When he dies, the title goes back to the liege. For all other purposes, the viceroy functions as a normal vassal. One character can hold several viceroyalties.

The ability to appoint viceroys is unlocked by the Legalism tech, and kingdom viceroyalties are unlocked much earlier than duchy viceroyalties.

Viceroys will gain an opinion bonus to the liege who grants the title, so should usually be quite loyal. However, should a viceroy mount a successful rebellion or otherwise become independent he will gain the granted kingdom or duchy as a permanent title.

We have also made some changes to regencies. The essence of it is that a character's regent is now more of a conscious actor, and will not automatically act in the liege's interest. A regent who dislikes you will be somewhat likely to make things difficult for you, and certain types of personality traits will also be likely to cause problems. Diplomatic actions may be blocked if the regent does not approve, for example. A friendly regent is your best bet for getting things done your way, but there are also other considerations. Any regent is likely to prefer seeing you married to someone of their own religion and culture, for example.

Since choosing your regent has now become much more important, you will be able to name a regent beforehand, via "Award Honorary Title" in a character's diplomacy interface. Your Designated Regent is officially recognized as the one chosen to take the reins if a regency is required.

In addition to the things mentioned, there are a number of smaller changes intended to make ruling your realm more interesting, and some intended to just make it easier. One example of this is the possibility for a councilmember to help you assign recently acquired titles for you if you have a lot of them.

In the final dev diary next week we will be talking about the new tribal mechanics. See you then!

Some things to note:
- So the tension between decentralization and centralization is getting a pretty big revamp. I'm liking what I hear, but whether it works out in practice, we shall see.
- The viceroy system sounds pretty useful for realms that don't follow the Western European feudal model. A few people in the thread expressed worries it might be OP, and I think their concerns are legitimate, but we will have to see how the viceroys play out.
- Designating a regent kinda like an insurance of sorts sounds like a pretty good idea.
- Also, this is apparently the second to last dev diary. Kinda surprises me, to be honest, I really don't think Charlemagne is ready for release just quite yet...

Now, to viceroys... With the Charlemagne DLC, it will be possible for a non-tribal emperor tier character to appoint viceroys to rule any kingdom or duchy titles that the emperor himself holds. This is effectively a lifetime governorship, where the viceroy becomes a vassal of the empire. Any landed vassal of count tier or above can be granted a viceroyalty. However, the viceroy does not own the title, but rather rules in his liege's name. When he dies, the title goes back to the liege. For all other purposes, the viceroy functions as a normal vassal. One character can hold several viceroyalties.

Finally, I don't have to look for celibate old guys just to hold one more damn title for half a generation.

ive got the feeling that just like the india dlc, it will first have some serious bugs (like inheriting revolt title was), and then make ironman even more of a drag because of the chronicle system

I tried Ironman once. It involved a lot of autosaving. Far too much. Could not change.

Top Bottom