Train Fever - Simcity meets Railroad Tycoon.

Fr8monkey

Deity
Official Site

It’s the year 1850, and there are great times ahead! Establish a transport company and be its manager. Build infrastructure such as railways and stations, purchase transportation vehicles and manage lines. Fulfill the people’s needs and watch cities evolve dynamically.

Big pics...

Spoiler :

Link to video.

Yup I've got the game too. I've been comparing it to Transport Tycoon actually and if you've played both, there are so many similarities such as when you buy a new vehicle, the vehicle window pops up with a mini screen and newspapers pop up from the bottom.

To me, those are pictures are all way too close-up. They shows that the graphics look pretty, but if I cared about graphics over gameplay I'd be playing Sid Meier's Railroads instead of Railroad Tycoon II and III. I want to know about the bigger picture. Gameplay, yes, but also what the bigger interface that I'll spend much more time in looks like. Like this picture from RT2:

Spoiler :

Multiple lines, multiple trains... a more strategic view than a closeup of one bridge going over a few tracks or a few passenger cars.

(I realize the video may have more of that but I don't plan to watch a 25-minute video preceded by an ad right now... I'm more of a text-and-pictures person)

I bought this game. Played somewhere around 3 hours, so I have some insight into the beginnings.

I will say that the game just motivated me to launch mine Railroad tycoon 3.

It is a bit too sandboxy, the maps lack identity (everything is randomly generated, but it will eventually end the same, because you get bunch of cities, bunch of industries, but the general approach will be the same).

I really felt lack of scenarios/campaigns hurting my interest.

Setting up things feels more like cities in motion if you ever saw some gameplay. You create "lines", add vehicles to it. It feels more tab based simulation with nice graphics.

The game (imo) needs a lot of work, it is polished (or it looked that way from those few hours), but hurts with the lack of scenarios, no competitors etc.

I would rate it very average. Didn't beat Rt 2/3 in my eyes.

I broke down and got it. Was sure I would be able to hold out till a sale on this one but nope.

It really does feel like mix of OTTD, RT3 and Cities in Motion, but with significant disadvantages to each but also advantages over them. I think this all-round mix really has more potential than the other games, but the game desparately needs more content, features and polish so I'm not sure if this will ever beat it's competitors unless they keep working on it for a long time or get a huge modding community.

Biggest annoyance so far is that while passengers have actual destinations and needs unlike OTTD where you can just dump passengers wherever you want, they don't seem to transfer between forms of transportations. When passengers arrive at the central trainstation they don't transfer to the city-covering bus network with a big hub right next to the train but rather all walk all across the city. EDIT: Was mistaken about this. Passengers and cargo transfer between lines fine. Simply a case of too many stops and to few vehicles as well as me not having figured out the quirks of the system.

It does have a really unique and interesting soundtrack, most of them are just straight up 60's inspired instrumental rock/pop but still keeping a bit of that classic simulator vibe somehow. A few too many average songs in there to qualify for the "Favorite soundtrack" thread, but there are several real gems in there.

Link to video.

It's technically released now but they'll be working on it some more.

Thanks, do you know if they have a list of features they're going to be implementing up anywhere? I can't find anything like that on their site but figured they might have it buried in the community forums or something.

I just don't want to buy this game if they're not going to implement certain things.. I watched a couple reviews and it seems that large chunks of stuff are still missing, in terms of what the game should be at the bare minimum, in my mind at least.

And maybe I'm blind, but their team doesn't even include any programmers. It seems that the project leads are probably programming, which is not weird.. but it's weird that nobody is a lead developer or any sort of developer in term sof their title. Makes me think none of the team members specialize in programming, which is.. .. weird. And makes me wonder whether that's why most of the game seems to be graphical, with many more complicated implementations not done.

Top Bottom