The "I Got A New Game!" Thread

But it's so obviously flawed. The PDA you get your info from is annoying to navigate and while it's realistic that time passes by and action keeps happening even when you're looking at it, it just doesn't translate well in gameplay. Far Cry 2 did the same, with minimal interface and no pause to look at the map, but Far Cry 2 didn't need to convey that much information either... It's annoying as hell to try to figure out the next objective, or what exactly you're doing, reading diary, looking at the hard to use map, etc. and suddenly getting attacked. Argh.
I never really had a problem with that, just check it when you're sure nothing is aronud, sure occaisionaly something would sneak up on you, but it rarely happened to me.

Then there's all the side quests. They seem interesting, but the developers did the criminal mistake of putting time limits and restrictions on the quests. Not only that, but the time limit is still there after you completed the objective. You have to return to the quest giver for the reward IN TIME. What the hell. Can't I bring you your artifact later? No. you have to walk all the way across the rather boring map 24 times and you have to do it NOW. No, just no. This is so tedious, all this walking. Seriously, who took the quests from the Cordon area? I did a few, but once I hit Garbage, I was like, "you want me to waste 15 minutes to walk back and forth to this place?" ... no F U.
The time limits are kind of lame, but for the most part long enough they are easy to do. Some of them are rather worth doing for the rewards or other items nearby, retrieving that guy's family rifle, there is a very good pistol there as well.

The developers used the "main character has amnesia" cop out and missed out entirely on great story line opportunities. Also, I hate how "The Zone" is so extremely detached from the outside world. I mean, sure, it can be isolated, but don't make me feel like this isn't even planet Earth anymore. Anyway, I felt that I had no real motivation to do whatever my character is doing. I was expecting a more "realistic" setting, like, some mutants, some scavenger guys in the ruins... Not a whole new world and isolated society with different factions, all formed in what, 4 years? ... Right.
The zone has compeltely changed various laws of nature, and continually does, also it is compeltely cut off and surrounded by the Russian army, well, almost, and the guards are corrupt. The main plot is a bit sketchy at times about your character, but he was brainwashed after being rendered unconcious, and well I can't tell you anymore without spoiling the plot. The disaster happened in 1986, and iirc SoC is set in 2009. 4 years is plenty of time to develop different factions.

The fact that you keep shooting straight at guys and they don't die or take way too many hits to fall down... Argh... I know they used a model where even if you aim well, there is a percentage of chances your bullets will miss. Fallout 3 does this also. But for some reason, I found the Fallout 3 model a lot more acceptable than what it is in STALKER. The guns feel a little tame.. Also, stealthing is really annoying and guys see you way too easily, again. So many games have this problem.
It's not so that there is a percentage of hits missing, you're simply not hitting, even when aiming down the sight the bullets still use the crosshair. It is really annoying I know, however in the last 3rd of the game you get much better weapons.

There are mods that fix a lot of stuff too, although I only played part way through one. IIRC there is the mod Oblivion Lost which is supposed to be awesome.

===

I kinda felt the same way about mount and blade as far as the quest goes. They are horribly repetitive, with their being only like 6 or something, and they are tedious to complete (wanting me to march across the entire map just to tell whats-his-face "hi"). They get really boring and even frustrating after a while... :wallbash:
Yeah the vanilla quests suck, but if I want to have quests and stories in M&B I play one of the many awesome mods.

We got a big paycheck, so along with a 24-pack of Sharpies and lots of groceries, I got City Life: 2008 Edition. I heard from some people it's not so good but I like city-building games. (Was going to get Civ IV: Colonization but it wasn't available.)

Haven't installed it yet but from the back of the box and manual, it looks like SimCity Societies without the name-brand.

I just got "Zoo Tycoon 2" for my DS. So far I love it!

We got a big paycheck, so along with a 24-pack of Sharpies and lots of groceries, I got City Life: 2008 Edition. I heard from some people it's not so good but I like city-building games. (Was going to get Civ IV: Colonization but it wasn't available.)

Haven't installed it yet but from the back of the box and manual, it looks like SimCity Societies without the name-brand.

cities XL is out in Septemeber, Aimee

Picked up Men of War a week and a half ago, looks good though I haven't really played it much yet.

Just got Left 4 Dead. I love it. The co-op is amazing and the versus is great. I havent had so much fun with a game for a while.

What is your steam ID? I won't be able ot paly for a few days but I'd love ot get a game going soon.

Just got Dawn of War II- it barely runs on my system, but it works. I'm working my way through the campaign, and playing a few skirmishes. Time to consume the biomass of unsuspecting planets!

Just got Left 4 Dead. I love it. The co-op is amazing and the versus is great. I havent had so much fun with a game for a while.

Now you'll get what I am talking about in the DYOS :mischief:.

Just got Call of Duty: World at War today. It's really different from other CoD games, (or so I think) being far more visceral and gritty, and much more violent. It's good they done this, I always like war games with a realistic 'war is hell' theme. But it's lost that 'CoD feel' with it... it just doesn't seem like a Call of Duty game.

Still like it though. Nazi Zombies is hella fun. :D

I wasn't particularly interested in COD WAW anyways, but I remember watching a trailer for it shortly before it came out, with a heavy metal soundtrack and slow-mo shots of soldiers attacking eachother hand-to-hand. That trailer just seemed distasteful and it really put me off buying the game.

It's a bit better than CoD4 imo, it has some slightly larger maps, but they are still kind of small. It's good, although not quite great. For Treyarch though, it's pretty good (they are a rather hit and miss developer, although WaW and the United Offensive Expansion for CoD1 are pretty good).

No, CoD 4 is far superior. While WaW is a decent game, Treyarch should not be allowed to make another CoD game. Infinity Ward are the best at making the game.

CoD4 results in everyone running around spray'n prey'n in small arena maps nade spamming each other, whiel WaW is the same but with slightly larger maps.

Honestly I don't think Infinity Ward would have done much of a better job multiplayer wise. Treyarch shouldn't make another CoD game though.

Brings back memories of Headquarters on Shipment. :cringe:

Which brings back memories of Private Games on Xbox Live between a bunch of my friends that never ended because everone just lobbed grenades, used airstrikes, or randomly sprayed anything that moved. Good times.

Top Bottom