Crusader Kings 2

I'm quite far into my game already and I'm easily making 18 gold per month, and with some careful saving, I don't see the need for the ransomed money. I let them rot in jail if they are just going to revolt again and I see no pleasure in constantly whacking them.
One of them is spending his 18th year in prison.

Yeah, I guess it's a little different when it's your nobles revolting. I sell off any foreign nobles, guaranteed. I strip the duchy title off traitors and then release them (under new handlers, who usually remove them and take the prestige/relations hit for stripping the county titles for me). Plus, showing some clemency towards the traitors and not straight-up killing them gives you some relations boost which makes more revolts less likely with your other vassals. I did leave my first heir to rot in prison, that guy turned into a monster the moment I gave him his own duchy. The other two are getting there, I'm thinking that letting the AI pick traits always leads to cruel, evil rulers. Next time, the heir is staying in the home country without his own lands.

My income with around 8 baronies is at 20/month, and I knew I could raise 15k before taking the Galician titles (they had maybe 8-10 counties). I'll have to check tonight what my stats are.

You need a better spymaster. Your succession crisis is going to be murder!

My most recent spymaster caught both attempts, and instead of deciding between them I simply gave them claims on each others' titles (because each one has a couple contiguous duchies with a decent-sized force). Plus, I think it was a good RP for the ailing monarch. Fortunately, one of them finally succeeded, so now there's no more succession crisis! Survival of the fittest!

What succession law do the Byzantines start with?

And how is the "capital of France" determined?

Sorry, missed this. Don't know about the first one, haven't loaded them up yet. I think the capital is determined by the primary duchy in the kingdom holding, and then the primary county for the duchy. I think the default is however it's listed in the game files, but otherwise it is dependent on the order in which you grant the titles. So, if I give you the title Count of Toledo, then the Duke of Toledo with all the subordinate titles, you will have three provinces under you, and your capital will be in Toledo. If I were to instead give you the title of Count of Molina (same duchy, different province), and then give you Duke of Toledo, your capital would be in Molina because it was first-acquired.

I assume a similar system is implemented for kingdom- and empire-level titles based on the order of acquisition, with the added wrinkle of being able to choose your primary title on your laws screen. I know you can have different succession laws or crown authorities in different kingdoms/empires if you hold multiple titles. I think this is true for any independent realm (i.e. so the Bretons could do the same thing with their duchy if they wanted to).

TL/DR version: I am guessing some combination of default-order vs. time of acquisition with a manual override for independent realms, but hell if I know, I just see the HRE's capital jumping around like crazy.

IF you downloaded the demo, you could have all these questions answered for you by yourself.
IF I were interested in playing the game, I might have done so.
Sorry, missed this. Don't know about the first one, haven't loaded them up yet. I think the capital is determined by the primary duchy in the kingdom holding, and then the primary county for the duchy. I think the default is however it's listed in the game files, but otherwise it is dependent on the order in which you grant the titles. So, if I give you the title Count of Toledo, then the Duke of Toledo with all the subordinate titles, you will have three provinces under you, and your capital will be in Toledo. If I were to instead give you the title of Count of Molina (same duchy, different province), and then give you Duke of Toledo, your capital would be in Molina because it was first-acquired.

I assume a similar system is implemented for kingdom- and empire-level titles based on the order of acquisition, with the added wrinkle of being able to choose your primary title on your laws screen. I know you can have different succession laws or crown authorities in different kingdoms/empires if you hold multiple titles. I think this is true for any independent realm (i.e. so the Bretons could do the same thing with their duchy if they wanted to).

TL/DR version: I am guessing some combination of default-order vs. time of acquisition with a manual override for independent realms, but hell if I know, I just see the HRE's capital jumping around like crazy.
Hm. Okay. At least it does jump around, unlike EU3.

Seriously I ask again is anyone interested in a multiplayer game, I'm going to make a thread so you can post your submitions.

Voting has opened in the "Win a copy of CK-II" contest in the Paradox Off-Topic Forum.

The early voting returns look good... out of the seven AAR submissions in contention for the prize, mine ("Women's Troubles") has gained more than half of the early votes.

Going to go vote. You convinced me to buy the game so Im gonna help you get yours.

Blue emu, fancy seeing you here. Any clue why the paradox forums are currently down?

My Queen's 75 (!) year reign just ended. Her heir is already in his mid-fifties. :)

You think a long-reign would be good. I had a King who lived till 81. The problem with that is I didn't get to personally pass on my excellent stewardship skills to my Grandson and Great Grandson. Had them killed for so my second grandson with a 19 in Stewardship inherited in the throne. It wasn't easy, but for the good of the Dynasty!

EDIT: This only applies if your son has a title and is in not in your court.

You think a long-reign would be good. I had a King who lived till 81. The problem with that is I didn't get to personally pass on my excellent stewardship skills to my Grandson and Great Grandson. Had them killed for so my second grandson with a 19 in Stewardship inherited in the throne. It wasn't easy, but for the good of the Dynasty!

EDIT: This only applies if your son has a title and is in not in your court.

Yeah, turns out the points/year ratio wasn't great either, but I'm just trying to survive my first game.

And yeah, I'm not looking forward to the next succession crisis. At least I had the opportunity to move my capital to Toledo, and the advanced Muslim legal technology managed to increase my demesne size by 2. I'm just hoping I can fabricate sufficient claims on the French to take all their Iberian holdings, and then I'm going crusading because apparently no one else can be assed to do it.

You are certainly asking a whole lot of questions for someone who isn't interested in playing the game. :rolleyes:

What's it like to play in Eastern Europe? I imagine come the 13th century it is brown trousers time due to the Mongol invasion, but I imagine it must have its own flavour compared to Western Europe families.

One Grandparent is the Duke of Osterreich, one Grandparent is the Duchess of Provence, one Grandparent is the Countess of Aargau and one Grandparent is the heir to the County of Innsbruck.

It has taken me 40 years, but these four titles will end up in the safe hands of one Grandchild with no interruption what-so-ever.

So why are you asking? I hope it's more than "is Paradox wrong again?"

Top Bottom