UFO: Enemy Unknown, remake by Firaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe all of you who haven't played the original. The original is great. To be honest, no way Firaxis can design a game better than the original. It will probably be kiddie friendly (the original was pretty hard- although using psi could be overpowering from what I seen on some youtube gameplay videos).

My bet, that's exactly what they're doing, but just saying if they add destructible environment and kill-cam like Fallout 3 (Latter is just my suggestion), it could takes this genre to the whole new level, if not then add tons of depth to it.

Yeah Firaxis' games have been getting increasingly simple. I'm surprised they don't just go and make facebook and console games ffs. I really hope they make a great game with lots of depth at varying difficulties but I'm not holding out hope.

After watching this interview with Firaxis, I'm am holding out hope.

I'm a huge X-Com fan, and was seriously worried that this remake (like all the fan-attempts) would be a failure when compared to the original - especially after Civ5 being so completely awful compared to what it could/should have been.

But this interview gives some hope. If they do everything they say then maybe it will actually work. Fingers crossed they get it right!

Interview makes them seem pretty dang legit. The source material seems to be quite important. I'm sure they can get this right. In the end, it's a rather simple game and concept, they just have to make sure they stay on track.

IDK, but I think you guys are taking the name "firaxis" a bit too seriously as obviously developers come and go with projects over the years. I avoided Civ5 just because of the DRM requirement, and I was a colossal Civ3 and Civ4 fan. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate another team with the original IP rights trying to do the re-do the game.

If you like X-com, and aren't completely happy with the 2k's re-imaging of it, then you should be kind of happy that it's being attempted one more time. Microprose kind of butchered the franchise towards the end, and it has mostly been re-cloned to death, but have a little faith that a major developer can do something with it in a big way.

IDK, but I think you guys are taking the name "firaxis" a bit too seriously as obviously developers come and go with projects over the years.
Actually that is a big reason why I am worried, because their most recent projects have been pretty awful (with the exception of Civ5, and even then the release was far from good).

I avoided Civ5 just because of the DRM requirement,
.... what? You have over 100 games in your Steam account, how is one more an issue?

That doesn't mean I can't appreciate another team with the original IP rights trying to do the re-do the game.

If you like X-com, and aren't completely happy with the 2k's re-imaging of it, then you should be kind of happy that it's being attempted one more time. Microprose kind of butchered the franchise towards the end, and it has mostly been re-cloned to death, but have a little faith that a major developer can do something with it in a big way.
I appreciate it too, I just don't completely trust Firaxis/2K Games to do an excellent job, and I hate it when people produce stuff that isn't as good (enough) as it should be.

i think that terror from the deep was a classic case of adding more stuff just because, more weapons, bigger environments, underwater environments and generally more of everything, but not a better game
and the other X-Com games imo were pretty rubbish, but it is a tough job following up a great game like UFO Enemy Unknown

that interview was great! i hope they achieve what they want, it sounds like they are going to try to do the game justice

That is the most irrational thing I've ever heard.
By your own statement: "I might even add it to my collection." you like the base concept of X-com, and FPShooters and the X-Com 'brand'. Just not together even though the name changes nothing of the games content but for dialog or logos. Loyalty to the use of a word whether it's liking something just because of it or disliking just because of it is not loyalty at all.

Also I should point out that the original X-Com games wasn't even an X-Com game. It was originally UFO: Enemy Unknown, later released as X-Com: UFO Defense and later still X-Com: Enemy Unknown. So if you were truly the most 'pure' fan you'd be all for UFO: Enemy Unknown as the only real x:com game.

Basically this is like if you were at a restaurant and said "I'll have the squid, noodles and a drink. But if you bring me calamari, pasta and a beverage I'll send it back!"

Unfortunately, I just got home from a long shift and was unable to access this site from work in order to respond. In any case, I apologize for the late response.

First, yes, I know that X-COM was originally known by another name. The name X-COM still came from an element (the team that you lead) within the game when it was added/changed.

Basically, the problem with the X-COM shooter is that it has NOTHING to do with X-COM. It is a case similar to the Final Fantasy movie that came out about a decade or so ago. Basically, that movie had nothing to do with any of the Final Fantasy games that came out (aside from a chocobo logo on the sweater of one of the characters). The movie itself was decent (not great, but not terrible), however, the Final Fantasy name was placed on the movie. To fans of the games, it was a great disappointment. The movie was a mainstream attempt with a hit brand placed on it in an attempt to appeal to the fans of the game.

This is the same scenario! 2K Games (or Take-Two... or whatever they are called) took an FPS which may be fine on its own, but slapped a known brand with a following on it in hopes of garnering support and to try to prevent it from being lost in the sea. This is a pitiful tactic and rarely works. The only difference between this and the Final Fantasy movie is that the movie only required a few dollars to see (remember, it was about a decade ago), but the X-COM FPS will cost $50-$60. I am not willing to part with that much money for something that is a total scam of a game.

A Turn-based tactical strategy X-COM, that I am willing to get behind!

First screens and more info This and the interview are making me feel more positive about the game which I am relieved to heat.

I am especially glad to hear this:
"Soldiers still die permanently, fog of war and line of sight are hugely important in combat, and you absolutely can lose the game if you screw up too badly."

Women and futuristic weapons. Positive. That means we're not stuck in the sixties. The battlefield isn't too good looking I agree, but we're talking about Firaxis here. They're not exactly known for their groundbreaking graphics. What I like about it, is that it looks like we have a lot of tactical options. Rocks, trees and so on.

And did I see the word "streamlining" there. :lol:

Hope they haven't removed the ammo.

I'd probably prefer the battles be pause-able RTS, maybe a tad like Company of Heroes but with a pause. The base screenshot does look pretty nifty. Doubtful that the battle screenshots are the final video quality of those.

The only really differences:

1. fully deformable terrain
2. squads instead of squaddies
3. nazis instead of aliens

I'd actually prefer not to micromanage the squaddies in combat to be honest.

I'm confident it won't happen though----RTS control on a console is usually FAIL!

It did work more or less in Apocalypse though. I used it all the time, but I suspect it was because the game wasn't really optimised for turn based tactical combat. And you lose a lot of the scary atmosphere with real time.

Not too mention how boring it would be to play an RTS where every single battle is one squad of soldiers with one support squad against one to a few enemy squads. It would also remove all the the tactical and strategic decisions that the TBS combat has.

Yeah I think you guys missed Apocalypse which did the squaddie thing in pause-able real time.
I didn't like that game because aesthetically it was kind of dull and lifeless even though the pixel count improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom