UFO: Enemy Unknown, remake by Firaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
And all of that can easily fit into a thread or two in AoG. There have been plenty of topics and discussions and AArs on various Paradox titles, yet there has been no need for their own subforum. The other games subforums have even less activity than AoG (which is already not very busy) and it won't be any different for X-Com.

In any case, I just hate having to search through the forums for a thread after it gets buried. I just don't see what the fear is with having seperate forums for certain things... it's as if some people are afraid that the internet will explode. Mark my words, it may not be as active now, but as we approach the release of the game and more info is divulged, the threads will be getting buried much quicker.

To bring back to the topic at hand, I am looking forward to learning more about the soldiers. One screenshot I saw showed the soldier customization screen (or whatever they will call it). It had the name of the soldier, their rank (in this case a Squadie), their class (sniper), the flag of their country of origin (Germany, I believe) spots for First Name, Last Name, and Nickname (I presume how you rename them), plus modifiers for Race, Voice, Head, Skin Color, Hair, and Hair Color.

I hope there is more, particularly outfitting the soldier. From what I understand, the weapons are determined by the class. But I wonder, does that mean their main weapon, or their weapon set (Grenades, etc.)? I also wonder what classes there will be. So far from the magazine and GI's website, I have seen Sniper, Assault, and Heavy. Will there be more? For instance, will they have a Scout class, or a Medic? Can the soldiers switch classes? Apparently, Rookies will be classless. I wonder how that works. Also, what of their skills and abilities? I look forward to learning about those. I understand that they are not exactly like the original. I assume TU's will be replaced with Speed or something.

Ahhh!!! So many questions! Need more information! At least some discussion and speculation to keep me going.

So, did anyone else read the article in Game Informer on the upcoming XCOM - Enemy Unknown game? I for one am pretty stoked on the fall release of this one. I remember well the original game, which I played though probably hundreds of times and am very glad to see that Firaxis is making one in the spirit of the original.

Apparently there's an interview with Sid on the Game Informer website, although I haven't read it yet, it's on today's agenda.

Here's a link to Game Informer's dedicated page...

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/xcom.aspx

Anyone else here really looking forward to this one?

No one around here would be interested in that game. :)

So this isn't a complete waste of a thread, we could discuss the original game. I got mine on steam pretty cheap. It runs good, and is convenient (no looking up the silly numbers on the bottom of the manual).

I have yet to finish my game, but I enjoy the early game the most anyways. I dislike psi combat, and feel it has too big an impact on the game.

It took me years to figure out you can actually kill chrysalises. Whenever I saw snake men on a terror mission I just aborted, because I figured the chrysalises would kill me anyway. Scariest aliens ever!!!

Yeah I never had the instruction manual to that game (had to write down the access codes to get into the game), and just had to figure stuff out on my own. It took me a while to get good at that game, and I only recently saw how weak my game was after watching a video on youtube of a run starting in Antartica (and I think that was his only base) on the highest difficulty. I learned a lot from that.

Chrysalises + terror missions = crap my pants. :D

No one around here would be interested in that game. :)

So this isn't a complete waste of a thread, we could discuss the original game. I got mine on steam pretty cheap. It runs good, and is convenient (no looking up the silly numbers on the bottom of the manual).

I have yet to finish my game, but I enjoy the early game the most anyways. I dislike psi combat, and feel it has too big an impact on the game.

Really, no one here is interested in the new X-COM: Enemy Unknown? I hope you are being sarcastic!

I got my Washington Post tech newsletter and was surprised to see one of the headlines mentioning X-COM: Enemy Unknown. Nothing really new, but there is mention of a new alien called beserker... however, I don't know if that might just be a Muton and the name giving is just a mainstream gaffe.

Here is the link

That's cool! I hope that no mainstream journalists were offended... but any that would be reading this thread (I would think) would likely understand a gamer's skepticism of the journalists knowledge. Of course, seeing an MJ write an article about a game like XCOM (something mostly only known to hardcore gamers), even if it would have been a bit flawed, would have been a plus for that journalist in my opinion and respect of them.

Yes, it is looking pretty awesome! I am looking forward to seeing more in action shots... well, almost as much as I am looking forward to playing it myself.

With the general tendency of games taking a turn for the worse--and in particular recent remakes (e.g. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, XCOM the FPS), seeing Firaxis' XCOM: Enemy Unknown coming along is a huge relief!

Pinch yourself!

Is Firaxis really respecting and staying true to the 1994 original? Looks like it. Is Firaxis really updating the graphics and interface to match the standards two decades later without sacrificing gameplay? Looks like it. Is Firaxis really catering to the hardcore fans and creating a game with tactical and strategic depth? Looks like it. Is Firaxis really avoiding dumbing down a classic remake to satisfy the console audience? Looks like it.

Now, pinch yourself again! Yes, this is not a dream!

In 6 months time we'll probably know if all this is really true--or if it's just clever presentation. But Firaxis may be able to restore my faith in the gaming industry. There are still lots of pitfalls (storytelling/atmosphere, gameplay/replayability, etc.), but currently I'm really looking forward to this title.

Go Firaxis! Do it right! :please:

This game looks sick. I was checking out the Gods and Kings demo on the PAX East 2K Games stream and they also did a demo for X-COM:UFO Defense. I played the original and I would still play it if it wasn't so outdated. I used to check into so many different titles that were going to follow up on this game. It is awesome to see a stand-up publisher take over and finally make some progress to this original favorite. I think anyone who likes the Civilization series will like this as well. FYI it will be available on PC/Xbox360/PS3. What do you guys think?

2K Games PAX East Demo (X-COM footage occurs around 4:00:00 mark):
http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/314356244

Official webby:
http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/index.php

Sounds like it could be interesting provided they don't have the Steam account + connected to Internet while playing requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom