Indie game tips

As I said somewhere else, if you like SPAZ, you'll like Starsector.

It's superior in pretty much all the ways, imho. Except it's more sandbox, complete lack of story.

Grabbed Starsector for 10 bucks after reading your recommendation (did a little additional research of course).

Wow! I'm super impressed by the combat part of the game. It feels like Star Control meets Gratuitous Space Battles. The rest of it obviously needs fleshing out, but they have a really good foundation going.

Big Industry/Economy is coming with the next patch.

Defense Grid 2 is coming in september, really excited for this one! The first one is probably my favorite tower defense game. I don't know much about the sequel, just that's it's on the way. With a september release date though and a price around $25 I might wait til christmas cus it will probably go on sale.

I got the puppy games bundle off steam over the summer sale, just broke out Revenge of the Titans. It is pretty standard tower defense fare but I like the genre and while some retro styled games tend to annoy me, this one is pretty fun. The humor reminds me a bit of Great Big Wargame while the retro sci fi is reminiscent of Unstoppable Gorg. Levels are quite short, so I am waiting for a bit more difficulty/some sort of twist, but the research system is cool. I wish there was a bit more detailed info on your guns though. When you first research one it gives detailed stats like rate of fire and reload time but I can't find them in game beyond that first description.

I don't know if I'll like the other ones as much, their other games one is a space invaders type, one is an arcade shooter, so not so certain, but Revenge is pretty good.

Transistor: Good game, played through it once, approx 10h game. High quality, neat combat, nothing spectacular imo, but worth due to overall quality. Recommendable for $10.

Kentucky Route Zero: Very artistic and original game. Point and click. I liked it. It's episodic and the final chapter isn't released. Still an interesting experience. A bit like reading a dream.

An indie game thread and nobody talked about Mount & Blade : Warbands ?

A pure sandbox game mixing a slice of RPG, a (small) pinch of wargame and a generous dose of action and large-scale battles, in a medieval world where you start as a recently arrived foreigner in a part of the world divided into six culturally-themed successor kingdoms of the previous equivalent of the Roman Empire.
You can be a bandit, a mercenary, a lord, a wanderer, a jouster, a merchant, and even carve your own kingdom. The feudal nature is well exploited, you can upgrade your soldiers, recruit adventurers, marry, siege cities and castle (each one works in the same way but have an unique layout, and there is DOZENS of them), trade, participate to (and host) feast, play diplomatical games of alliances and enmities, gear you and your companions, ransom people, liberate them from prison...

The gameplay is surprisingly pleasant, with very well developped hand-to-hand combat, well-done aiming mechanics which differenciate between bows, crossbows and thrown weapons, and the first actually fun and rewarding mounted combat I've seen in a game (you can really get the feeling of dominating superiority of the knigh on horseback compared to the lowly footman as you slice your way through the lines of foes).

It's overflowing with content, it's pretty hardcore (you can't ever really die as you're just knocked out, but the game doesn't pull any punch and is pretty realistic so if you're unarmoured you're down in one or two hits), it's letting you completely free to decide how to play and it can last hundred of hours before you can consider a game "done".

I've spent less than 10 bucks on it, more hours than any of the formulaic AAA released this year, and more fun than all of them combined.

Hunters of the dead is pretty good and is part of a bundle at indie gala. I did a review in the review thread.

Darkest Dungeon is released as early access. Looks great. 20€ though, so I'll wait until the full release.

Link to video.

Sunless Sea have exited early access. Some great reviews. Rather slow paced game. I haven't played it more than a couple of minutes. Looks good, but takes some effort to get into.

Prison architect has release version 1. It looks like they added a full campaign. My review was basically good game but lacking in content. Might be a lot better now.

Link to video.
This caught my attention. Bought it, but haven't played it more than an hour. I like the theme and aesthetics of FTL more and the combat too so far, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. It looks promising though and might be something of interest.

I saw that one too on steam, looked cool, but waiting for big sale naturally!

has anyone played bit dungeon 2? It's very confusing just cus no manual, I really don't know what anything means or does. Controls are simple enough though. I only played for about 20 mins, I don't even know how saving works like when it restarts the game for you and if it's a new world each time, or what the objectives are.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/331440/

Has anyone played this? Glowing reviews, my hesitation is point and click... like seriously? I haven't played one of those since, I don't even know when, original shadowgate?

It's called stasis, it's a point and click puzzler/adventure game but the setting is awesome. People say the story is like dead space, alien, event horizon etc. It's right up my alley but a lot of it is text reading items and then the point and click exploration, idk how the gameplay will be. Plus it's a little more than I liked to spend on smaller games, it's half off on gog though.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/

Horror games are really not my thing, but I've played a lot of point/click games. If you think you'll like the theme, go ahead and try it. :)

Top Bottom