Super Smash Bros. is coming to the Wii U and 3DS

Do people really care about the WiiU? It seems almost as dead in the water as the Cube.

The Gamecube wasn't dead out of the water. It certainly wasn't the leader of the generation, but it was neck to neck with Xbox for second. The Gamecube's best selling game was Melee at 7.09 million, followed by Double Dash at 7 million and Sunshine in 5.9 and Xbox's best selling game, Halo 2 was 8 million, but second place, Halo 1, drops to 5 million, and it quickly just drops from there. The had a solid library in its lifespan in all points, such as Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime 1, Pikmin 1, Super Mario Sunshine, and a port of Sonic Adventure 2 all released in its first year alone.

The WiiU, on the other hand, doesn't have any killer games released for it, first party or otherwise, in its first year. Pikmin 3 looks good, but its not a console seller for me. Besides that, the only other good exclusive that's out yet is New Super Mario Bros. U and its DLC expansion pack, New Super Luigi U. Worldwide, the WiiU had only sold 3.61 million consoles worldwide. To put that in perspective, at 3.07 million copies sold, there's barely more WiiUs sold than the game its going to have a remake of. There are more copies of Melee sold than WiiUs. Even if Gamecube was dead in the water, comparing the WiiU to the Gamecube would be an insult to the latter.

Yes, people always roll out the sales of the top games, but they are so high, because there NEVER is any depth to the catalogue of games available! If you had a cube, those are the games you had, same with the Wii. The WiiU just brings us the same games once one. Personally, im done.

Except that all of those games were good, and the GCN had a ton more good games than that.

The vibe I've been getting for about five years now is that outside of Mario and friends, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon, Nintendo has really stopped caring about its franchises, and that's driving me further and further away from them.

You can cross Metroid off that list. After the commercial failure of Other M, and how it raped the rest of the series canon, Nintendo just decided the Metroid series wasn't worth it and seemed to give up on it. The 25th anniversary was completely ignored by Nintendo, and no Metroid title is in production. Another causality in their constant blunders.

As much as I loved Nintendo, their business model simply can not work anymore. SSB4 has to be the same killer app it was for the last three consoles for the WiiU to seriously exist in the near future.

Unless they bring a Metroid out sometimes soon the odds of me getting a WiiU are slim to none. The only other console-seller for me right now is Zelda, they still have that franchise going at least. Oh, and Kirby. They seem to still be doing Kirby stuff fairly often.

Their latest Kirby stuff hasn't been very good from what I hear though. (Then again, the only Kirby game I ever completed/played in great detail was Kirby 64, and I did that around a decade ago.)

Even SSB isn't the magic it once was; now that I've split with Nintendo for good, honestly the Soul Calibur series - even the original for Dreamcast - are far more fun as party fighting games.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii was actually a very awesome game. Up to par with older titles imo, and one of my favourites.

Kirby's doing good quality-wise. His yarn adventure just left a lot of fans raging.

The latest Kirby games were of excellent.

Also Pikmin 3 has been a very strong game for the WiiU, especially in showing the potential of the system and for being a gem in itself. Heck the game has been helping increase console sales.

Still: is this thread is about SSB, yes? Should we not focus on SSB?

Please let there be Snake. I liked him a lot more than Sonic and he had one of my favorite move sets in the entire series.

However for some reason I doubt he'll come, and neither will Mewtwo or Ridley. For all of his talk on the need to cut characters, he confirmed the one character who I thought deserved to be cut (Toon Link). Really at this point my hype for SSB4 has been terminally ill, if not dead. That really makes me sad. :(

I will say, however, I like Sonic. However, he doesn't have the wow factor he had in Brawl since he's been here. Cool, but I want to hear Mewtwo or some actual new characters. Speculating isn't exciting when there's nothing to base our speculations on.

EDIT: But dat Kirby game. I see the beetle power, which means Bugzzy will most likely come back. He's my favorite mini boss, but then again, it was partially because Suplex was my favorite ability.

Spoiler size :

The hype train is stopping for nothing now! Although I don't really get why Rosalina as a character has such a large fanbase, I'm willing to admit she looks awesome as a new character, and one I honestly would never expect. The Luma gimmick looks interesting, and I am looking forward to being able to experiment with the teal-dressed woman and her star posse.

Also, an interesting development, this means Mario officially has 5 characters representing the series (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina). This is a departure from series norm, which had a de facto limit of 4 characters per series. Although this could just mean there's 5 Mario characters, I wouldn't be surprised if at least Pokémon gets five members. There might be room for Lucario /and/ Mewtwo for SSB4 now.

In other words, CHOO CHOO! :D

EDIT: Also, like how he tried to fake the reveal out by making it look like the trailer was for a Kirby crossover to Mario Kart. Sakurai trolls once again.

My wishlist: Mewtwo and Snake return, add an Advance Wars CO (Sami, prolly), Simon Belmont, Ridley, Zangief, Chase McCain, Lego Batman.

Edit: I can see the appeal of Tails, but if Sega were to add a second character I'd like to see NiGHTS.

Wait, I'm sorry but... LEGO Batman?
Why not just regular Batman? xD

Maybe (s)he(?) likes the art style? Maybe LEGO highlights the mechanical/systemic possibilities in an interesting way? It's like asking somebody why they prefer Pollack's drip painting to Matisse's pointilisme.

Maybe (s)he(?) likes the art style? Maybe LEGO highlights the mechanical/systemic possibilities in an interesting way? It's like asking somebody why they prefer Pollack's drip painting to Matisse's pointilisme.

Well, we got to consider that LEGO Batman isn't his main incarnation nowadays, especially within that media. While preferences aren't an issue, I find it a bit funny that it's exactly LEGO Batman that's the wish rather than the "true" Batman.

Still, I do agree that there's not much of a point to question it. It would be hilarious after all.

If any LEGO character was added I would guess it would be the Chase McCain from LEGO City Undercover, as that game is published by Nintendo.

Top Bottom