• Indira Gandhi

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other? Please list

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daft

The fargone
Which famous lady of history impresses or fascinates you the most? any details as to in what way and why?
Created a poll, however, I'm quite sure there are more options/choices which I've failed to mention in it (like Madonna-kidding). This is a multichoice poll, anyone can vote for as many options as they'd like.

Ching Shih, hands down.

Margaret Theresa, the wife of Leopold I (Holy Roman Emperor). Now SHE was hot :love:.

lol @ the poll options.

I've always found Christina, Queen of Sweden to be rather interesting. Also Caterina Sforza was a friggen badass.

Lady Margaret Beaufort was pretty swish, too, even if you ignore how amazing she was to pop out a big baby at 13. But if I had to go with favorite historical women based on their ability to kick butt and take names, it'd be Sibylla of Jerusalem.

lol @ the poll options.

I've always found Christina, Queen of Sweden to be rather interesting. Also Caterina Sforza was a friggen badass.

In that case, The Genius-LOL! why don't you come up with an interesting thread of your own?

In that case, The Genius-LOL! why don't you come up with an interesting thread of your own?

Because all of these options are like super subjective high school esque-history questions. History isn't about lists, nor is it about finding the "best all time" like Cracked or Bleacher Report. I'm actually busy right now and post more later, but Owen can give you a great understanding as to why he loled at the list.

all right, however, the list includes some of the most famous women who were leaders/rulers of nations(even if they co-ruled alongside their husband kings), inspirational military/religious leaders and a famous scientist. Like I wrote, there are many other choices available, the daughter of Gustavus Adolphus is a great one, nevertheless, I believe no person should call himself/herself The Genius, no matter how intelligent they are.

I believe no person should call himself/herself The Genius, no matter how intelligent they are.

The user title is a reference to my avatar - GZA from the Wu Tang Clan:

And and, the RZA, he the sharpest mother[fornicator] in the whole Clan
He always on point, razasharp
With the beats, with the rhymes
Whatever, any DJ

[Raekwon]
And the GZA, the G is just the Genius, hee
He's the backbone of the whole [feces]

[RZA]
It's self explanatory, Genius

[Method Man]
He the head, let's put it that way
We form like Voltron, and GZA happen to be the head
You know what I'm sayin'

Anyway wry's got it pretty close. Listicles are silly and not really what history is about. How can you possibly declare one statesman, existing in a specific context with specific challenges, coming from a specific cultural background is better than another with totally different contexts, challenges, and backgrounds. It's ridiculous. So with these sorts of threads, rather than dragging on and on and on about best anything and rehashing generic figures we've all heard of (most of whom probably shouldn't be in the discussion anyway), we're better off talking about figures who interest us personally, people you might not have heard of. It's a far better endeavor than retreading this tired old thread.

Or if you prefer I could do a lengthy post about how Elizabeth I was an absolutely atrocious queen who ruthlessly burned Catholics, failed to resolve any of the myriad issues surrounding the state of the English Church, was indecisive in matters of great importance, allowed her dynasty to collapse, bankrupted the crown on frivolous and highly destructive endeavors in Ireland, France, and the Low Countries, thus creating a crisis which directly contributed to the collapse of the monarchy throughout the first half of the 17th century, particularly in 1636-46, and whose only reason for any kind of a positive lasting legacy exists because she was easy to use as a figurehead for 17th century protestants and the story subsequently got picked up by Whig historians in the mid-later 19th century for the umpteenth time.

The user title is a reference to my avatar - GZA from the Wu Tang Clan:

Anyway wry's got it pretty close. Listicles are silly and not really what history is about. How can you possibly declare one statesman, existing in a specific context with specific challenges, coming from a specific cultural background is better than another with totally different contexts, challenges, and backgrounds. It's ridiculous. So with these sorts of threads, rather than dragging on and on and on about best anything and rehashing generic figures we've all heard of (most of whom probably shouldn't be in the discussion anyway), we're better off talking about figures who interest us personally, people you might not have heard of. It's a far better endeavor than retreading this tired old thread.

Or if you prefer I could do a lengthy post about how Elizabeth I was an absolutely atrocious queen who ruthlessly burned Catholics, failed to resolve any of the myriad issues surrounding the state of the English Church, was indecisive in matters of great importance, allowed her dynasty to collapse, bankrupted the crown on frivolous and highly destructive endeavors in Ireland, France, and the Low Countries, thus creating a crisis which directly contributed to the collapse of the monarchy throughout the first half of the 17th century, particularly in 1636-46, and whose only reason for any kind of a positive lasting legacy exists because she was easy to use as a figurehead for 17th century protestants and the story subsequently got picked up by Whig historians in the mid-later 19th century for the umpteenth time.

Daft, in no way are we trying to dissuade you from posting. We want you to post in this thread, it's always great when people post in here asking about history! I think a better way to go about future threads while trying to keep it simple is something along the lines of "What do you think of [Insert historical person, event, conflict, or treaty here]?"

Ana de Mendoza, Princess of Eboli. Reason being,

OBVIOUSLY A PIRATE.

But more sensibly I'm quite interested in some of the important radical leaders from the late 19th/early 20th century. Goldman, Luxemburg, Markievicz, Saornil, Parsons, to name a few off the top of my head. Some very cool and interesting ladies in this period.

Hey, someone forgot the most famous woman on the ancient Mediterranean world in that list: Helen. Though, admittedly, there isn't much to say about her.

Jesus Christ no offense but this list is... Just silly, nothing serious can be said here :p

It looks like random 'known' (Eurocentric ofc) women were taken without considering really interesting historical women.

Come on:

- Mythical Dido

- Cleopatra, the most overrated woman in the entire history :p

- Boudicca 'win one battle and then be smashed'

- Margaret Thatcher and Indira Gandhi, Jesus Christ

...but Princess Diana being here or in any legitimate 'historical importance' list is completely ridiculous concept :D
Other than that, we have few European queens know for everyone indoctrinated via Eurocentrism :D Boring.

most epic gals ever:

1) Lady Trieu/Truong Sisters

2) Helen Keller

3) Catherine the Great

Top Bottom