Reasons Sims 4 is going to suck.

Fr8monkey

Deity
Rumor has it that there is over 75 missing or changes features from previous games. Here is a list of major missing features. Go here to see the rest...

*No create a style (CAST) - NOT possible in future expansions (x)
*No modifications to world/public spaces - The park in the demo is a mix of a community lot and public space (x1) (x2)
*No “normal” careers - Law enforcement, Medical, Business, etc. were removed (x)
*No open world - You must incur a loading screen between each active lot; each neighborhood has 1-5 lots total (x1) (x2)
*No pools (x)
*No terrain tools other than paint; everything is perfectly flat (x)
*No story progression - Sims in the neighborhood age, but do not have children, get jobs, move, get married…etc. without player intervention (x)
*No toddlers (x)
*No way to create/place new lots - And you only have 2 empty ones at the start of the game!
*No Mac version of the game at release

Scariest thing that may or may not prove this game is going to bite big time...

Sims 4 review access reportedly withheld until release day. Any game that isn't going to be reviewed until release I am reluctant to try.

Sims 4 review access reportedly withheld until release day. Any game that isn't going to be reviewed until release I am reluctant to try.

To be fair, review embargoes are pretty standard these days across the board.

*No Mac version of the game at release

Given Macs aren't real gaming platforms, I don't blame them.

*No toddlers (x)

I wished they didn't exist in real life either.

*No story progression - Sims in the neighborhood age, but do not have children, get jobs, move, get married…etc. without player intervention (x)

One step forward. One leap back off a cliff.

Don't worry it will be added in 69 DLCs and expansion packs.

That comic is so right on...

It's kinda sad that such a big chunk of the video game industry has just become a predatory con. So many suckers with so much money (or debt)!

I prefer to view them as people with no qualitative standards.

When the first concept of DLCs appeared years ago, I was guilty of using the "Slippery slope" fallacy in many debates about it. Well maybe it was a fallacy at the time but every year is proving me more right. It's just getting worse and worse, because people just bought into it.

In concept, DLC is pretty neutral. It can be really good, giving developers a good excuse to continue producing quality content for a quality title. But too often it really just seems like a shameless cash grab.

The main issue I have with dlc is the amount of content for the price never adds up. Like civilization dlc. The civs and map packs are cool, quality products. But the price for such a small piece of the game is a lot.

Or like dragon age origins. Game cost me $40, well actually it was a gift but it was that price at the time. I bought one dlc pack, the return to that first battlefield one, for $5. It took about 30 minutes to complete. I got some nice loot. But main game took ~40 hours for my first play through and I spend far more time on it in total. So main game, less than a dollar an hour, the dlc, $10 an hour. The dlc was of high quality, just not good quantity.

Before there was DLC, there were expansions. And they were pretty much the same thing, only expansions had to be large enough to hit a high enough price points to be sold (so one expansion would often amount to multiple DLCs) DLC can be more broken down instead.

The notion that all DLC is necessarily content that was deliberately cut just so it could be sold later also completely ignores the fact that there's only so much time for designing the game and designing features from the game. It's entitled nonsense.

THAT said, in this particular case, it's EA, and they're going after features that WERE in previous games, so while the general condemnation of DLC is out of place, here it applies perfectly :p

On the other hand, games (PC at least) are the cheapest they've ever been and constantly go on deep discounts. And some games can legitimately be played without spending any money. DLC isn't always terrible. It's not all bad.

That said, I'd never even consider buying a Sims game because the DLC is so ridiculously out of control. Not to mention that the Sims 4 looks like it won't even be that good.

That's true, I won't complain about pc game prices in general when there are tons of quality free to play games, tons of brand new indie games under $10 that go on sale often and you can get triple A titles 6-12 months old for $5. It's like a golden age for pc consumers. I still feel kind of bad for the console players at times.

Never mind. Removed video for strong language...

That's one of the fun things I really enjoyed in Sims 2 (I think that's what it was).

What's so fun about building up a sim's life, when the sim's friends and neighbours don't lead lives of their own? How are you supposed to steal people's wives and befriend their toddlers?

Overall reviews seem to be more mixed. I guess a few more people are finally getting tired of all this BS, but guess the whole franchise is still gonna make a killing, at the end of the day. Impression I'm getting is Sims 3 with even a couple of its expansions (or maybe without any at all?) is still more enjoyable than Sims 4.

Ah well. Any guesses as to what the Sims 4 expansions will be about? Here's a list:

• Pets
  • Travel/International stuff
  • School
  • Magic/Fantasy/Supernatural
  • Sci-fi
  • Jobs
  • Swimming Pools
  • Nightlife
  • Apartments

I like the way one reviewer put it:

For me, the experience was like taking your car to the shop. When you get it back, it’s shining, detailed, and purring: They’ve traded your Ford Focus for a Ford GT. Hooray! But then you get in and notice it’s a stick shift, with manual brakes and steering, no stereo, no A/C, and wait, where are the doors?

Metacritic user scores are so useless. Apparently it's impossible for a game to be anything other than a 0 or a 10.

Metacritic user scores are so useless. Apparently it's impossible for a game to be anything other than a 0 or a 10.

That's true. That said, in terms of the actual written reviews part, while they may be biased, if there's any bias they're usually easier to spot.

Anyways, I've read some more reviews and it still seems mixed. Frankly, from what I've seen, the only really new interesting things are the emotions and the multitasking.

Early access was born by a few different indie devs who A) needed more funding to make their game, B) wanted to get community involvement and word of mouth going about their game, C) did yes want people beta testing it for them but not really in some evil way.

It exploded after Minecraft used it with massive success and Valve added Early Access to Steam, but companies have released unfinished;/unpolished and/or otherwise unready games for decades and then patched them up after release (hopefully), some companies make this a habit, and that hasn't really changed even with Early Access. Most of the big companies don't do early access anyway, aside from maybe some open beta if you pre-order (but that also pre-dates early access).

The Sims is just the worst example of abusing DLC and expansions, but that has also been expected since The Sims 2, sadly. They seriously need some competition, hell I don't even know if anyone has actually made anything that even tries to compete or be similar to the Sims!

Top Bottom