Resource icon

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) v.29 beta 5b

There are no custom settlers yet... could it have been a scout?

EDIT: That's odd. I took a look at the database, and all the scales all look OK to me.

My bad then - it did certainly look like the Mayan settler was much smaller. Could just be that I rolled a bunch of kids for the opening graphic in my most recent game.

Chinese Infantry appears to be invisible. They are working fine in R.E.D., so there may be problem in J.E.D.

I also think there is some error with Indian Crossbowman because the unit consists of only 3 men.

Thanks very much for the bug reports. Sorry I missed those!

Spoiler Explanation :
They were both previously multi-fig units that had been changed to single-figure, and I must have been sloppy about examining the diffs between the versions where that was changed.

Hopefully I haven't missed any others. I'm uploading new versions to Steam and CFC...

Hey Nutty, it's me again! :D

Just found another bug. For some reason French Cavalry uses the same model as French Lancer. This error is exclusive to JED.

I think it's better to keep this bug until the new version of R.E.D. with jet fighters and glorious WWI infantries arrives this WE.

It took a lot longer for Gedemon to get out the new version of R.E.D. than expected, but J.E.D. v24 is released, and it does fix the French cavalry (that particular unit is not named in the standard way).

Thanks, TheLohoped. Hopefully I didn't introduce any new bugs. ;)

Sorry, Stiflex, this isn't the Ethnic Units mod by BrutalSamurai22 (there isn't a CivFanatics thread for that one).

This was a mod that tried to fill in for R.E.D. Modpack while Gedemon, the author of that mod, went missing for a while (though perhaps I need to resurrect R.E.D. Unofficial since he again hasn't updated R.E.D. Modpack for a little while). But at the moment, this one, Ethnic Diversity, hasn't been updated for quite a long time.

R.E.D. Modpack is a similar mod to Ethnic Units (which is based on an earlier version of R.E.D. Modpack). Also, don't confuse it with R.E.D. WWII edition, a separate WWII scenario by Gedemon.

I still provide a modmod (Just Ethnic Diversity) that reverts Gedemon's scaling back to vanilla scale for those that prefer R.E.D. Modpack to Ethnic Units but don't like R.E.D. Modpack's scaling changes. I also have a Single Unit Graphics and Reduced Unit Graphics, i.e., 2 or 3 figures, that is compatible with R.E.D. Modpack.

:bump:
Bumping this old thread to seek comment on the unofficial version of R.E.D. Modpack.

Here are the list of changes from the Gedemon's official v.27:
  • reduced texture sizes and removed extraneous specular textures (reduces mod size from 200MB to 120MB)
  • embarked unit diversity using Wolfdog's conversion of GeneralMatt's War Junk, hangman's conversion of Chuggi's Andean Cargo Ship, and Nutty's versions of JustATourist's galleon reskins [Whaddaya guys think? Note the changes are era-based and ethnic-based.]
  • Venice and Milan city state now re-use Roman units starting in the Medieval era; other city states re-use units of related major civs [e.g., Monaco uses French units. I'm not entirely sure I like it in practice. Comments?]
  • new general suffix types for Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, and city states with Slavic influence) and Central Asia (Huns, Ottomans, and city states with Turkic influence) [Comments?]
  • donkeys given to Ottoman, Hun, and Polynesian settlers instead of camels or oxen
  • add bernie14's longswordsmen for Portugal, Venice, and Vatican City city state
  • add Civitar & Nutty's Reislaufer [anachronistic] Swiss guard (pikeman) for city state Vatican City
  • add hangman's conversion of the Buddhist missionary for Asian civs [I could also/instead write some Lua to apply him to the civ who has chosen Buddhism.]
  • add Patum333's Netherlands archer (composite bowman)
  • add Snafusmith's P-40 Warhawk (fighter) for Brazil
  • add Snafusmith's Renault FT (WWI tank) for Brazil, central European city states, and additional members for France
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of Bakuel's Streltsy (musketmen) for Russia
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of bernie14's Napoleonic French infantry for French Cannon crew
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of bernie14's Sioux knight for Shoshone
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of dutchking's ML-20 Howitzer (artillery) for Russia
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of Gagonite's Arquebusier (musketman) for Austria, Poland, and central European city states
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz's A129 Mangusta (helicopter gunship) for Rome (Italy)
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz & Nikko's Ariete MBT (modern armor) for Rome (Italy)
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz & Nikko's Dardo IFV (mechanized infantry) for Rome (Italy)
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of Refar's Astute class (nuclear submarine) for England
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of Snafusmith's Los Angeles class (nuclear submarine) for America
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of TheCoyote's Akula class (nuclear submarine) for Russia
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of Zever's Royal Marine commando for England
  • add zwei833's conversion of the Realism: Invictus musketman for Germany (HRE)
  • update bernie14's French and German cavalry
  • add ProtectedBigGun formation for the Indian Civ Pack
  • fix some specular textures to reduce excess "shininess" of some units

Only about a third of all the military units are currently covered, even counting where ethnic groups are sharing units. We have few or none of the following unit types:
  • INFANTRY: Marine, XCOM Squad
  • MOUNTED: Cavalry, Lancer
  • ANTI-INFANTRY: Bazooka, Gatling Gun, Machine Gun
  • ARTILLERY: Anti Aircraft Gun, Anti Tank Gun, Artillery, Cannon, Catapult, Mobile SAM, Rocket Artillery, Trebuchet
  • AIR: Atomic Bomb, Great War Bomber, Stealth Bomber
  • NAVAL: Caravel, Frigate, Galleas, Privateer, Ironclad, Missile Cruiser, Nuclear Submarine, Trireme
  • ARMORED: Giant Death Robot

There are only a few scouts, and there aren't many battleships and carriers. There are lots of gaps as to the BNW civs.

I'll try to update and put up the spreadsheet tomorrow.

Quick question, coming back to Civ V after a long break, which version should I use: R.E.D. or Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial)? Thanks!

Sorry for sowing confusion by re-using this thread. Ethnic Diversity is very old. The latest (unofficial) incarnation of R.E.D. Modpack is the one linked by post 232 above.

I would appreciate feedback on the changes mentioned in that post, if you get a chance.

Sorry for sowing confusion by re-using this thread. Ethnic Diversity is very old. The latest (unofficial) incarnation of R.E.D. Modpack is the one linked by post 232 above.

I would appreciate feedback on the changes mentioned in that post, if you get a chance.

I'm a big fan of what you've done with the R.E.D. pack, Nutty. I find myself unable to play the game without the pack. I also included it in a simple mod compilation pack I made, so I could use it and still get achievements.

I think your changes are solid -- I think it's fine to be slightly anachronistic in places if it allows for a little more diversity in the unit roster (plus, it's not like Civ follows history terribly closely, anyway). I'd be interested in seeing the "gaps" you were referring to, as I'd like to learn how to contribute unit graphics as well.

Sorry if this is a :bump: to a dead thread, but I did want to make a few suggestions for additional unit skins.

Riflemen, Great War Infantry, and Modern Infantry for Poland
Musketmen for East Asian Civs, Middle Eastern civs, and India
Musketmen for Huns

Sorry if this is a :bump: to a dead thread, but I did want to make a few suggestions for additional unit skins.
I really appreciate the suggestions, and those would definitely be some good units to see. However, none of those exist yet for Civ5, and I don't make/convert units myself (just reskins here and there), so this request should probably go in the Unit Request Thread.

Note I did recently make some small updates to my unofficial R.E.D. Modpack, with a few more changes coming soon... so R.E.D.'s not dead, at least--plus it looks like Gedemon will bless it as the new official version if I ever get around to deciding that v28 is done.
:king:

That being said, discussion about it should probably be in R.E.D. Modpack's official thread).

Thanks again!

DOWNLOAD HERE.

I'm going to resurrect this old thread to post the beta of my latest homage to Gedemon's illustrious R.E.D. Modpack and all of the artists who make units here at CivFanatics.

I know it's been a long time coming, and the audience may have shrunk quite a bit now that Civ6 has been released, but real life happens. In the meantime, I did make lots of changes; quite a bit of it was behind the scenes and allow me (and potentially you!) an easier time comparing and changing the various settings, but there's still lots for you, the user.

You'll need 2 mods: the Ethnic Diversity Unit Pack (with all the art) and one Ethnic Diversity mod for adding the art defines. The Unit Pack must be enabled first before you can enable Ethnic Diversity... or one of the alternate scaling mods: I've planned at least 6 scaling options (from smallest to largest: Xtreme, R.E.D., vanilla, Fewer Unit, Reduced Unit, Single Unit Large, and Single Unit Small; and I've left two additional slots for further scaling options in the future). However, at the moment, we've only tested the vanilla scaling. [Thanks to Tomahawk.nsk for his help.] The other scaling options will have issues (and it's likely I've missed something even with vanilla scale).

For the brave souls out there:
Spoiler :
Feel free to try out the mods under testing, and give me a list of issues.

Better yet, if you have a recent version of Microsoft Excel, you can dive in and play with the exporter and try making fixes for yourself and others. If that sounds fun to you, the GitHub repository can be found here, and newunits.xlsm is your ticket to a world of 1900 rows of pure spreadsheet imagination. I warn you from looking at the mess that is the macros though, as it appears I must have created them in a fever dream (and forgot how to put in comments). I'm surprised any of it works at all.

The Era variation (with embarked unit diversity) is a separate mod but will be integrated soon once the kinks are worked out.

The unit test mod lets you test a lot of units all at once, but don't activate it with too many civs on the map or it's liable to crash CiV.

Since I started building on the shoulders of giants with R.E.D. Modpack, the revived Ethnic Diversity is now pushed to v.29. Without further ado, the changelog since Gedemon's v.27:
Spoiler :
v.29 beta 1 (Nov 7, 2016)
- new Excel exporter for easier editing/comparing unit choices, remove need to keep separate spreadsheet updated, and consolidate scaling mod data
- loads faster by pre-calculating some data that previously required SQL operations
- allow override of the fallback suffix type for each specific unit
- fix bugs and increase flexibility of embarked unit Lua
- units can now have both era and cultural diversity (e.g., great people, workers, and trade units)
- new general suffix type for Northern Europe (Denmark and Sweden)
- new general suffix type for Northern Africa (Carthage, Morocco, and Songhai)
- new general suffix type for Oceania (Polynesia and city state Wellington)
- new general suffix type for South Asia (India and city states Colombo and Kathmandu)
- new general suffix type for Southeast Asia (Siam and Indonesia, and city states Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Manila, and Singapore)
- Prehistoric Era compatibility: first pass at diversity, just a few one-offs at this point
- Enlightenment Era compatibility: diversity for the line infantry and carrack and a first pass at diversity with a few one-offs
- enhance mod compatibility generically (but we're making wild assumptions and it only works where we're lucky about what order the modder constructs art define tables)
- Assyria now shares units with Babylon
- adjust some of the unit and city style choices
- add Barathor's barbarian galley reskin as trireme for North European civs
- add Civitar's conversion of the druid/wizard as missionary (white robe) and inquisitor (red robe) for Celts
- add Civitar's conversion of Bakuel's Cuman units for Huns
- add Civitar's conversion of Bakuel's silat for Indonesia
- add Civitar's Zapotec battle priest as inquisitor for Native North and South American civs and Polynesia
- add Civitar's Dervish Maara Weyn as cavalry for Middle Eastern civs
- add Civitar's conversion of Bakuel's Hebrew units for Levant city states (Jerusalem, Byblos, Sidon, and Tyre)
- add danrell's Avro Arrow as Jet Fighter for Canadian city states
- add danrell's Ram Mk II as Tank for Canadian city states
- add danrell's Kingdom of Jerusalem crusaders for Levant city states
- add danrell's akazonae as lancer for Japan
- add danrell's warrior monk as inquisitor for Asian civs
- add Deliverator's conversion of coffee junkie's Native Rifleman as musketman for Shoshone
- add Deliverator's conversion of Walter Harkwood and Refar's cog as middle-era cargo ships for Germany and surrounding civs
- add Deliverator's mounted conversion of danrell's Roman longswordsman as great general for Rome
- add GeneralMatt's Kirov cruiser for Russia [though a Slava-class model would be a better choice since Kirov is a battlecruiser]
- add hangman's Inca axeman as a second longswordsman model
- add JTitan's conversions of early Songhai units from RTW Europa Barbarorum
- add Kwadjh's conversion of the assassin as inquisitor for Middle Eastern and Central Asian civs
- add Nomad or What's conversions of Bakuel's Berbers for Morocco
- add Nutty's teamcolor reskin of Ansaldo SVA-5 as Great War fighter for Mediterranean civs
- add Nutty's teamcolor reskin of Nieuport 17 as Great War fighter for Southeast Asian civs
- add Patum333's Chinese swordsman for Asian civs
- add Patum333's Netherlands scout
- add Snafusmith's 155mm gun as artillery for France
- add Snafusmith's Short Bomber as Great War bomber for England
- add Snafusmith's Halberstadt DII as Great War fighter for Ottomans
- add Snafusmith's Hanriot HD1 as Great War fighter for Belgian city states
- add Snafusmith's F-4 jets for Egypt, Greece, Japan, Korea, and Ottomans
- add Snafusmith's A7V as extra landship model for Germany
- add Snafusmith's Ford M.1918 as extra landship model for America
- add Snafusmith's Mark IV as landship for Canadian city states
- add Snafusmith's Whippet Mk.A as extra landship model for England
- add Sukritact's Ogichidaa as musketman for Native North American civs
- add Tomahawk.nsk's reskins of GeneralMatt's predreadnoughts as ironclads
- add Wolfdog's V1 Rocket as guided missile for Germany
- add Wolfdog's conversion of TheCoyote's A-7 Corsair II as jet fighter for Greece, Portugal and Siam
- add Wolfdog's conversion of TheCoyote's Draken as jet fighter for Sweden and Denmark
- add Wolfdog's conversion of TheCoyote's Ho229 (world war II prototype) as stealth bomber for Germany and Austria
- add Wolfdog's Qizilbash as lancer for Persia
- add Wolfdog's conversions of mechaerik's Special Forces as marines
- add Wolfdog's conversion of GarretSidzaka's Viet Cong as marine for Siam and Indonesia
- add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz's FV510 Warrior as mechanized infantry for England
- add Wolfdog's conversion of the Civ4Col preacher as a late-era missionary for European civs
- add Wolfdog's conversion of Walter Harkwood's carrack as middle-era cargo ships for various civs
- add Wolfdog's ANZAC units as WWII infantry for Wellington and Australian city states
- add zwei833's Schwaben reskin of bernie14's longswordsman as an additional model for Germany
- add zwei833's Bohemian reskin of bernie14's longswordsman for Prague and Bratislava
- add zwei833's conversion of Bakuel's Malay armored cavalry as knight for Indonesia
- add zwei833's conversion of danrell's Egyptian warrior
- add zwei833's conversions of Realism Invictus warriors and scouts

v.28 beta 2 (Aug 23, 2015):
- add Civitar's Anishinaabe Midew medicine man as missionary for Native North American civs
- add hangman's Chimu General as missionary for Native South American civs
- add Wolfdog's conversion of English cannon crew
- add Wolfdog's conversions of Ambrox62's scouts and warriors (African, European, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern)
- add early units (spearman, swordsman, pikeman, and crossbowman) for America from Ethnic Units
- add additional embarked units (Wolfdog's barge for Middle East civs, Sukritact's canoe for Native American civs)
- disable embarked unit diversity if Cultural Diversity is active (CulDiv already includes embarked diversity)
- adjust embarked unit era if Prehistoric Era (including extra eras in v14+), Prehistoric Era Reborn, or CCTP (v4+) is active

v.28 beta 1 (Sep 5, 2014):
- reduced texture sizes and removed extraneous specular textures (reduces mod size from 200MB to 120MB)
- embarked unit diversity using Wolfdog's conversion of GeneralMatt's War Junk, hangman's conversion of Chuggi's Andean Cargo Ship, and Nutty's versions of JustATourist's galleon reskins
- Venice and Milan city state now re-use Roman units starting in the Medieval era; other city states re-use units of related major civs
- new general suffix types for Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, and city states with Slavic influence) and Central Asia (Huns, Ottomans, and city states with Turkic influence)
- donkeys given to Ottoman, Hun, Mongol, and Polynesian settlers instead of camels or oxen
- add bernie14's longswordsmen for Portugal, Venice, and Vatican City city state
- add Civitar & Nutty's Reislaufer [anachronistic] Swiss guard (pikeman) for city state Vatican City
- add hangman's conversion of the Buddhist missionary for Asian civs
- add Patum333's Netherlands archer (composite bowman)
- add Snafusmith's P-40 Warhawk (fighter) for Brazil
- add Snafusmith's Renault FT (WWI tank) for Brazil, Central/Eastern European city states, and additional members for France
- add Wolfdog's conversion of Bakuel's Streltsy (musketmen) for Russia
- add Wolfdog's conversion of bernie14's Napoleonic French infantry for French Cannon crew
- add Wolfdog's conversion of bernie14's Sioux knight for Shoshone
- add Wolfdog's conversion of dutchking's ML-20 Howitzer (artillery) for Russia
- add Wolfdog's conversion of Gagonite's Arquebusier (musketman) for Austria, Netherlands, Poland, and central/eastern European city states
- add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz's A129 Mangusta (helicopter gunship) for Rome (Italy)
- add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz & Nikko's Ariete MBT (modern armor) for Rome (Italy)
- add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz & Nikko's Dardo IFV (mechanized infantry) for Rome (Italy)
- add Wolfdog's conversion of Refar's Astute class (nuclear submarine) for England
- add Wolfdog's conversion of Snafusmith's Los Angeles class (nuclear submarine) for America
- add Wolfdog's conversion of TheCoyote's Akula class (nuclear submarine) for Russia
- add Wolfdog's conversion of Zever's Royal Marine commando for England
- add zwei833's conversion of the Realism: Invictus musketman for Germany (HRE)
- update bernie14's French and German cavalry
- add ProtectedBigGun formation for the Indian Civ Pack
- fix some specular textures to reduce excess "shininess" of some units

Last edited:
Fine work, Nutty! And much appreciated :)

I'll give it a go this week and leave feedback. I'm curious to see whether your technical changes to the mod have any impact on (presumed) memory issues that have been surfacing when using RED in conjunction with the community overhaul.

Top Bottom