Project SYNTHESIS

I think ur idea is similar to mine but how does urs work (hypothetical situation)?

Coffee for example would start in Ethiopia, spread to
Aden, Yemen ~1454;
Karnataka, Indian, ~1670
Java, Indonesia and Surinam ~1699
Martinique, Caribbean ~1720
several in Brazil ~1822

Aden, Yemen ~1454;
Karnataka, Indian, ~1670
several in Brazil ~1822

Beautiful exactly as I picture it.

One little suggestion, coffee should spawn in ethiopia in 1400 and not be there from 3000 bc.

So for example you have tea and spices on Ceylon?
Potatoes starting in the Andes and working their way throughout Europe from the 16th century?

Ceylon does not have spices and tea yet. I overlooked that. I'll add it in.

Potatoes are already implemented as you said.

Can u specify the changes?

Spawns

450AD:
Tea in Japan, 2 in China, Myanmar (Burma), Tibet, Manchuria

1250 AD:
Tea in Iran, 2 in Turkey, forest and tundra to overwrite the swamp Leoreth put in Newfoundland

1600AD:
Potato in Dublin, France, Germany, Ukraine
2 coffees in Turkey, 1 in India
2 teas in Borneo

1700AD:
2 potatoes in China, 1 in England
3 coffees in Brazil, 2 in the Caribbean, 2 in Colombia, 1 in East Indies
2 tobaccos in Brazil

1850AD:
2 coffees in West Africa
4 potatoes in North America
Tobacco in India, China

I propose that we have resources spawning at appropriate times at places so we don't have them spawning in batches, but in ones and twos

To support my proposal I am willing to do extensive research on resource cultivation and when mining deposits were found

As you can see, the resource spawns (and even some of the pre-places) are crude; I took them from other mods. If you could do this research for me, that'd be fantastic. I just need you to put your research into the following format to make things easier for me:

1) Go to Civ4Config (civ.ini) and set the cheatmode option to "chipotle"
2) Open up 600AD, play as anyone (preferably a civ that starts with no autoplay to save loading time)
3) Press ctr+Z. This will reveal the whole map
4) Conduct your research on resource spread
5) Determine what resources should be added, and where, and find the respective tiles on the map
6) Go to those tiles and press SHIFT while hovering over them. This will give you their coordinates in the hover text.
7) Give me the resource spawns as a list in the following format:

Code:
gc.getMap().plot(x, y).setBonusType(iResource) #Description

(x,y) is the coordinates. Space after the comma. iResource is the name of the resource with an i infront of it. For example, potato would be iPotato or Tobacco would be iTobacco. Description would be where you put a one or two word description of where the resource is (be sure to leave the # there). This is for coders, like me, so we know where it is. An example, from the code:

Code:
                        gc.getMap().plot(33, 52).setBonusType(iPotato) #North America
                        gc.getMap().plot(88, 37).setBonusType(iTobacco) #India
                        gc.getMap().plot(104, 44).setBonusType(iTobacco) #China
                        gc.getMap().plot(52, 26).setBonusType(iCoffee) #West Africa

Thanks, and good luck!

Beautiful exactly as I picture it.

One little suggestion, coffee should spawn in ethiopia in 1400 and not be there from 3000 bc.

We have no idea when coffee cultivation began in Ethiopia. Also since Coffee was banned by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church some time before the 12th century we should have some time before that be the spawn date

Ur locations are all good but turkey with 4 extra resources??

The Indus region might be overlooked when considering tea and tobacco. What happened to coffee in east africa and YemAn and potatos in Peru, the places where they came from

Giving a region 2 of the same resources should be extremely rare and small regions like turkey, Columbia should not get more than one of each resource. The only exception should large places like brazil, India and china and even they shouldn't get more than 2

Did u replace existing resources when adding new ones (like replacing when adding potatoes) or else some regions might get really overpowered?

Ceylon has three possible resources, spices ~1769, coffee ~1825 and tea ~1867. I recommend that tea is one of the three (Ceylon and tea are practically synonyms!)

I agree with J. pride, resources should come to a country by one, two in uncommon cases and three might only be for coffee in Brazil (they corned the market turning it from the drink of aristocracy into an everyman's drink and Brazil is very large).

J. pride, is there anyway you could upload the SVN copy somewhere and give me the link?

I think u shud change the spawn locations and dates of coffee to what civ king posted

Originally Posted by civ_king
Aden, Yemen ~1454;
Karnataka, Indian, ~1670
several in Brazil ~1822

The only addition I wud make is add a coffee in northern syria in 1670 and a coffee in columbia and/or central America in 1840s, and perhaps add coffee to YemAn a bit earlier. If these dates aren't possible just round them off.

I think u shud change the spawn locations and dates of coffee to what civ king posted

Aden, Yemen ~1454;
Karnataka, Indian, ~1670
several in Brazil ~1822

The only addition I wud make is add a coffee in northern syria in 1670 and a coffee in columbia and/or central America in 1840s, and perhaps add coffee to YemAn a bit earlier. If these dates aren't possible just round them off.

Sounds good to me. Remember, I am giving you the approximate dates that widespread cultivation happened. Feel free to tweak the dates as needed.

Do you plan to do something to counterbalance the increased amount of happiness/health created by the new resources?

We have no idea when coffee cultivation began in Ethiopia. Also since Coffee was banned by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church some time before the 12th century we should have some time before that be the spawn date

I would think it should be there from the beginning, since you can only access them with calendar anyways.

Ur locations are all good but turkey with 4 extra resources??

As I said, this needs considerable tweaking. I just copied everything from RFCM:BWS for the moment.

The Indus region might be overlooked when considering tea and tobacco. What happened to coffee in east africa and YemAn and potatos in Peru, the places where they came from

What do you mean overlooked? As in not included?

As for Peru, Yemen, and East Africa- I only listed resource spawns in my earlier post, not the preplaced ones.

Giving a region 2 of the same resources should be extremely rare and small regions like turkey, Columbia should not get more than one of each resource. The only exception should large places like brazil, India and china and even they shouldn't get more than 2

I agree. By Columbia I was referring to the whole of Nortern South America in general- which is a pretty big area.

Did u replace existing resources when adding new ones (like replacing when adding potatoes) or else some regions might get really overpowered?

As I said, tweaking is necessarily.

Ceylon has three possible resources, spices ~1769, coffee ~1825 and tea ~1867. I recommend that tea is one of the three (Ceylon and tea are practically synonyms!)

Sadly Ceylon is only two boxes. So Spices and tea seems to make the most sense.

I agree with J. pride, resources should come to a country by one, two in uncommon cases and three might only be for coffee in Brazil (they corned the market turning it from the drink of aristocracy into an everyman's drink and Brazil is very large).

Duly noted.

J. pride, is there anyway you could upload the SVN copy somewhere and give me the link?

Yours isn't working? I'm releasing tonight so hang on, for now..

Aden, Yemen ~1454;
Karnataka, Indian, ~1670
several in Brazil ~1822

If you could type this up into the format I posted earlier, that'd make things easier. Thanks.

Sounds good to me. Remember, I am giving you the approximate dates that widespread cultivation happened. Feel free to tweak the dates as needed.

Right. Thanks.

Do you plan to do something to counterbalance the increased amount of happiness/health created by the new resources?

Decaying resources.

So that means certain types of resources disappear from the game completely over time? Otherwise it'll still be fairly easy to achieve a large happiness surplus via trading.

My Civ IV computer isn't connected to the internet and my internet computer is running OS X (sadly no free SVN tools).

Um, I have the copy of the svc but ive never uploaded before. If u need it before tonight i can try to give it a shot :) .

What do you mean overlooked? As in not included?
You could add a tea on the eastern side of Indus

If you could type this up into the format I posted earlier, that'd make things easier. Thanks.

I do'nt think that i can help u with the formatting part :( (i didnt get half of wat was on it, especially civ.ini). Although i will do my best to help u with the researching part.

Talking about research heres what i found on Tobacco (years can be tweaked to the the nearest turn or even few turns)

Tobacco was originally found all over the Americas before Columbian Contact but never in large enough quantities to be put; it was recreational rather than productional.

Tobacco can first appear in the Cuba.
1550- Spread to Virginia and Brazil
1620- Tobacco spread to Turkey and India
1650- Tobacco spreads to China
If u want to put additional Tobacco 1 more can appear in China, India and Brazil
6 to 9 Tobacco

Update for Coffee:
Starts in Ethiopia (id rather have it spawn in 1100 then have it there from beginning becuz its usage properties were discovered by the Yemani Sufi Abu al-Hasan al-Shadhili)
1) 1400: Coffee spread to Yeman
2)1500: Coffee spread to Northern Syria (near Turkey)
3)1670: Coffee spread to South Western India (Malabar)
4)1690: Coffee spreads to Java
5)Martinique ~1720
6)2 in Brazil ~1820
7)1850- Coffee spread to Colombia, Central America, and one in Northern Vietnam-Southern China region
11 Coffee resources in total

Now for Tea
1) 2 Tea resources in Southern China in 4000Bc
2) 2 Tea appear in North Eastern India, and 1 spread in Thailand/Vietnam region in 500BC
3) Tea spread to Iran and Japan 200 BC
4) Tea spreads to Turkey 1300 ad
5) Tea spread to Indonesia 1600 ad
6) Tea spread to East Africa 1700 ad
10 Tea resources in total

Guys I'm releasing it now.

DOWNLOAD HERE- V .1

A lot of the map changes you guys recommended aren't being implemented yet (Antioch, Baghdad stone, Chinese/ Indian spawn changes). I wanted to release it ASAP because I'm going away for a bit and I won't have access to my modding files.

My plan now is to play two or three games out fully to the end( hopefully you guiys can do the same)and find bugs, things that need to be fixed, etc, and create a list. These things will be fixed, put into the SVN, and then I'll get working on some more additions.

So that means certain types of resources disappear from the game completely over time? Otherwise it'll still be fairly easy to achieve a large happiness surplus via trading.

Yes. This also needs to be balanced a bit, but it helps counterbalance some of the bonuses of the new resources.

Leoreth, where are the specific growth/ research/ production bonuses/ penalties for each civ stored? I.e, if I wanted to nerf a civ's tech rate, where are those values in the dll?

Um, I have the copy of the svc but ive never uploaded before. If u need it before tonight i can try to give it a shot :) .

You could add a tea on the eastern side of Indus

I do'nt think that i can help u with the formatting part :( (i didnt get half of wat was on it, especially civ.ini). Although i will do my best to help u with the researching part.

Talking about research heres what i found on Tobacco (years can be tweaked to the the nearest turn or even few turns)

Tobacco was originally found all over the Americas before Columbian Contact but never in large enough quantities to be put; it was recreational rather than productional.

Tobacco can first appear in the Cuba.
1550- Spread to Virginia and Brazil
1620- Tobacco spread to Turkey and India
1650- Tobacco spreads to China
If u want to put additional Tobacco 1 more can appear in China, India and Brazil
6 to 9 Tobacco

Update for Coffee:
Starts in Ethiopia (id rather have it spawn in 1100 then have it there from beginning becuz its usage properties were discovered by the Yemani Sufi Abu al-Hasan al-Shadhili)
1) 1400: Coffee spread to Yeman
2)1500: Coffee spread to Northern Syria (near Turkey)
3)1670: Coffee spread to South Western India (Malabar)
4)1690: Coffee spreads to Java
5)Martinique ~1720
6)2 in Brazil ~1820
7)1850- Coffee spread to Colombia, Central America, and one in Northern Vietnam-Southern China region
11 Coffee resources in total

Alright, this helps a lot. Thanks!

A lot of the map changes you guys recommended aren't being implemented yet (Antioch, Baghdad stone, Chinese/ Indian spawn changes). I wanted to release it ASAP because I'm going away for a bit and I won't have access to my modding files.

When do u plan on implementing these changes

On a side note, its kind of early but have u decided if u want to include the Seljuks and the Fatimids?

And the mod looks good!;)

I would just like to applaud the efforts to make this mod. :clap:

Thanks

When do u plan on implementing these changes

On a side note, its kind of early but have u decided if u want to include the Seljuks and the Fatimids?

And the mod looks good!;)

It'll be one of the first changes to the SVN.

And definitely in the next release.

The Fatimids will probably be a conditional spawn, the Seljuks a barb wave into Turkey that'll make sure Turkey spawns (Turkey will be conditional too- it'll only spawn if Turkey is Indie or Barb- aka, Seljuk)

Good effort. If I had time I would play this. I don't as I am now in the real world, trying to regulate the banking sector of a troubled European peripheral nation, so I am sticking to RFC Europe for now. But I will play this in the future.

Indeed. I just noticed this problem.

I'm gonna try to see if I can fix this problem.

It probably has to do with the new religious victory option.

Top Bottom