Really Advanced Setup

Tried playing one game and I must say, the UI is smooth. However I encountered a bug in game where I got the free amounts of culture, faith, gold and techs every so often (instead of only once). Trigger seemed to be a) founding new cities (though founding 2 didn't give twice, it just brought you up to that number of the yields), b) changing eras and there may be others. Would a lua-log or something else help you to determine the reason for this? (Other mods I was running were CivUP, GEM, Infoaddict and Random City Names).

To update from playing in Vanilla and only 2 mods in play This and IGE...
I put Gold and culture at 5000 science at 10. settled a city and after 1st turn no change.
Units did appear in the game. Reasources did appeared around the placement of ground zero of the player's civ.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the starting bonuses problems and post something here in the near future. I made some changes to that code several days ago and may have messed something up without realizing it.

I have added a lot of in game code to my mod so a mod conflict is definitely possible, but it could just be a problem within my mod. I'll check my code first before suggesting that the problem is caused by a conflict.

For the vanilla problem - The bonuses should appear as soon as the city is built. I use something called a GameEvent to make that happen. I'll check around and see if the GameEvent that I'm using was added along with the expansion pack. I wouldn't think that would be the case but crazier things have happened.

I'll be back with some answers as soon as I find anything worth posting.

Edit: And thanks for the offer to provide a Lua log. I may take you up on that if it becomes necessary.

mitsho:
Thanks for the input. I found the problem. I will release version 2 with the fix in the very near future. I'm going to try and find the problem with vanilla Civ5 before doing so.

Mars83:
Do you have your game patched to the latest version? Some of the game code that I use was added with Gods and Kings but the documentation states that it is available in the base game. If the documentation is correct then the mod should work with vanilla but it would need to be updated with the latest patch. I couldn't find any obvious conflicts with IGE but there could be something that I'm not aware of. If you (or anybody else with vanilla) has the time to try a game without any other mod I'd be interest to know if the problem still shows up.

I just want to say first that this is a great idea for a mod :)

But, two things - and I should mention I'm running Civ5Up2.5.2 and GKEM1.3.4 -

Sometimes the mod seems to get stuck on some kind of 'legendary start' when set to standard/strat balanced - no resources picked at all in the RAS mod, but most civs will start within 3 squares of like 5 different resources, you'll get like 3 iron 3 stone 3 sheep in a city's workable area.

The count for starting units seems to get caught up on dupes - so say if I pick, 1 scout, 1 settler, 1 scout - I get 1 scout. It seems like it's only the 'end' dupe that gets lost - so if you picked 1 scout, 1 settler, 1 scout, 1 settler, I would get 2 scouts 1 settler.

Also ran into the duped starting tech bonus repeating bug which I see you caught.

Possibly the first both are due to interactions with GEM and not anything to do with you, but since probably a lot of people will try and use them together it might be worth looking at :)

piggilypies
I can't duplicate those problems so they are probably caused by one or more conflicts. If you have time please try to start a game with RAS but without any other mods and let me know if the problem goes away.

Mars83:
Do you have your game patched to the latest version? Some of the game code that I use was added with Gods and Kings but the documentation states that it is available in the base game. If the documentation is correct then the mod should work with vanilla but it would need to be updated with the latest patch. I couldn't find any obvious conflicts with IGE but there could be something that I'm not aware of. If you (or anybody else with vanilla) has the time to try a game without any other mod I'd be interest to know if the problem still shows up.

My game is updated by steam. latest version is: 1.0.2.21
Your the only mod i have selected.
I've taken pictures of the set up:
1st image is the set up of 4 players.
2nd image is settling the city and the one archer i asked for.
3rd image is the 1st turn has passed which the archer gets a level ups.

Gold, science and culture remain the same.

Attachments

• 2013-02-05_00003.jpg
    2013-02-05_00003.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 2013-02-05_00001.jpg
    2013-02-05_00001.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 2013-02-05_00002.jpg
    2013-02-05_00002.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 268
Mars83
Thank you for spending the time to upload the images. It looks like there is a problem using the mod with vanilla Civ5. If you are willing to spend a little time to enable logging for your game and uploading the results that would be great! I'll explain what needs to be done just in case you are interested:

Go to your Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 folder

Backup the config.ini file (so that you restore things back to original if needed).

Open the config.ini file with a text editor (NotePad would work OK).

Change LoggingEnabled = 0 to LoggingEnabled = 1.

Start the game and repeat what you did above, then exit

Go to the Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 folder\Logs folder.

There will be a file there call Lua.log - upload it so that I can see it.

You can either zip it or change it's name to Lua.txt so that Civfanatics will let you attach it.

If you do that and there is an error message in the file I'll be able to tell what's causing the problem - it would be a great help.

I already had it done sometime ago. Only thing i didn't know was making it a zip folder for it...

This is the latest by your directions.

The 2nd Lua is the one with the pictures. I stopped before Washington wiped me out.

Attachments

• Lua.zip
    22.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Lua1.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 172
Thank you for doing that. There are no Lua error messages in the file - that's probably a good thing. It increases the chances that vanilla is not the problem.

Before I released version 1 I removed almost all of the print statements from the mod (they show up in the log file). I now realize that was a mistake. If they where there they would help track down the problem. I'm going to release version 2 sometime in the next 1 to 3 days. I'll leave a bunch of print statement in that version if you're interested we can try this again at that time.

One thing I don't understand. I Accidentally left one print statement in that shows up when the back button is clicked (while the really advance setup screen is open). It shows up in your log file after the Map Script has finished loading and the game has started. That should be impossible! I'm somewhat confused. :crazyeye: Oh well maybe we can make some sense of it with version 2.

Edit: Thanks for taking the time to create the second log file - it shows the same basic pattern as the first. I'm currently rewriting the unit placement code to fix the problem with sea units (I also fixed all of the other known problems - except for yours). Once that 's done I'll release version 2 with the print statement. Like I said above, hopefully that will help track down this problem.

Thats good news at least... When V2 comes out i'll test it as the only mod.

That sounds great! Thank you for your patience.

Mars83 - and anybody else with the vanilla version of the game. I've just been informed by somebody that's knowledgeable on the subject that the code used when the player builds a city is indeed only available in Gods & Kings.

The bad news is that users using the vanilla version of the game will not be able to give items that require a city to be built. This includes the four player bonuses (gold, culture, faith, and free techs) and air units.

The good news is that the rest of the mod should work OK.

Also Gold, culture, faith, free techs, and air units should work in vanilla for any player that captures their first city instead of building it. I'm not sure if that will be that useful since it could result in some players receiving the bonus while others do not, but it's available if you want to try it. If you decide you want to try that part of the mod it would probably be best to wait until version two. As mentioned above there is currently a problem with every city giving the bonuses (in the case of vanilla it would be every city that's captured).

Edit: I decided that I'm going to disable these features if Gods & Kings isn't present in order to avoid confusion (and frustration).

:sarcasm: Gotta love those G&K codes...not really... :sarcasm:

I suggest that split the mod make 2 mods. one for vanilla the other for G&K. That way G&K still has the gold, culture, faith, science, free techs and air units. Thats up to you though.

As far as I know there is no way to make things happen when a city is founded in vanilla. It just isn't an option. I'll keep looking around (I doubt that anything exists) but if I do find anything I'll just incorporate it all into one mod.

Woo Hoo. Hey Mars83 if you are still out there. I found a way to get things to work with vanilla. The player doesn't receive the bonuses until the next turn but hey that's better than nothing.

This mod is just incredible and got lot of potencial for improving . I'd like to suggest the option of revealing part of the map at the beginning . Such thing could be based on the map radius around the initial settler .

That's on my list of things to do. I'll probably just add a slider that increases the radius of the revealed part of the map. The default is somewhere around 3 plots (I'd have to look at the map to get the exact amount). I was thinking of making the range of the slider go from the current default up to some higher value. Maybe 10 plots?

Top Bottom