Dan Carlin Hardcore History Podcast

Cryptic_Snow

Prince

Show 43 - Wrath of the Khans I
In one of the most violent outbursts in history a little-known tribe of Eurasian nomads breaks upon the great societies of the Old World like a human tsunami. It may have ushered in the modern era, but at what cost?
Wrath of the Khans I

Show 44 - Wrath of the Khans II
The Mongol leader Genghis Khan displays an unmatched level of strategic genius while moving against both Northern China and the Eastern Islamic world. Both civilizations are left stunned and millions are slaughtered.
Wrath of the Khans II

Show 45 - Wrath of the Khans III
The expansion of Genghis Khan's conquests continue, with locations as far apart as Europe and China feeling the bloody effects of Mongol warfare and retribution. Can anything halt the carnage?
Wrath of the Khans III

Show 46 - Wrath of the Khans IV
The death of Genghis Khan, the founder of the Mongol Empire, should have slowed the momentum of Mongol conquests, but instead it accelerated it. This time though, all of Europe is on the Mongol hit list.
Wrath of the Khans IV

Show 47 - Wrath of the Khans V
Succession issues weaken the Mongol Empire as the grandchildren of Genghis Khan fight over their imperial inheritance. This doesn't stop them from dealing out pain, suffering, and ironically good governance while doing so.
Wrath of the Khans V

What happened to the previous 42 podcasts?

Hah, you got me with the OP. You lost me with the $ 1.00 per episode. :p

Hah, you got me with the OP. You lost me with the $ 1.00 per episode. :p
Well don't get me wrong, he has a tremendous amount of free content on his website. Besides the Hardcore History show he also does a current events type show titled Common Sense which is free to download. Dan Carlin is a tremendous storyteller though so after you finish Wraith of the Khans you might be sucked in.

Another Hardcore History fan!

I, personally, started on the Death Throes of the [Roman] Republic series, still each to their own. His podcasts have still replaced most of the music on my MP3 player, they're very captivating. (even if he is a self confessed "fan of history" rather than a "historian"- a distinction that sums me up to a tee)

and yeah, there's about 36 hours of free content on the History side, alone.

I had the first couple of dozen Dan Carlin podcasts on my ipod. It's good, old-fashioned, blood-and-guts history without any liberal guilt trips. Fun, casual history. "Mostly harmless".

Do any serious historians take readers on a 'liberal guilt trip'? I thought the only ones who did that were pop-historians of the same quality as Nial Ferguson.

His podcast on colonization wasn't that much different from a "liberal guilt trip".

Unless liberal guilt trip means you feel guilty about liberally tripping?

I don't even really get how "guilt trips" are meant to work. Are people that heavily invested in being white that they automatically identify with white people in history, regardless of who those people actually were? It's messed up.

Historians are people too, and have all the personality quirks, biases and prejudices as everybody else.

By guilt trips I was refering to the tendancy of some modern historians to demonstrate an insouciant hostility to the standard Leaders and Wars historical narrative, as well as to the old American Exceptionalism school.

Dan Carlin is more of a traditional, Gee wiz, that's a HUGE ARMY!, kind of guy. He certainly doesn't require one to think.

Kinda sounds like you're just using "liberal guilt trip" to mean "the entirety of academic history since 1945, liberal or otherwise".

Besides, I think you're working with an outdated set of references if you think that Carlin's podcasts don't ask the listener to think. I recently got done with the "Wrath of the Khans" series and the "Radical Thoughts", "Logical Insanity" and "Prophets of Doom" specials, and as far as I can see he shows a pretty pronounced concern for the ethical and psychological aspects of history.

I listened to the first half hour of Wrath of the Khans and the guy sounded like he had learned all his history from playing civ and would have gotten thrashed if he had posted what he was saying that in this forum. The only thinking I did was "wow, this man is pretty insensible".

To be honest, I think that says more about this forum than Dan Carlin: A casual chat about history? Rip it to shreds with pendantry and nitpicking!

If he purported to be anything other than a fan of history talking about the bits he finds interesting, that's one thing, but he doesn't. Sure, it's not got any academic pedigree, but so what? It's still accurate, interesting and entertaining.

I personally haven't bothered to listen to most of the podcasts, but I remember being fairly put off by his stuff on the fall of the Western Roman Empire, considering it to be inaccurate in a way that strongly suggests a lack of familiarity with modern academic interpretations ("modern" here meaning "since Gibbon"). You know, the "Flying Pig-JEELEN-Kaiserguard School" of late antiquity.

That's where I would suggest most of the criticism comes from. Not the tone - it honestly sounds like any given conversation I might have about history with the likes of wrymouth or Mannerheim or the denizens of #nes. There's no reason to expect him to talk as though he were reading straight from an academic publication, and if the criticism was about that, then yeah, it would be ridiculous. But it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to Do the Research.

We all ultimately need to remember that these podcasts are first and foremost pop history. I think they have value if the average person wants to know some basic stuff, however, it's quite dubious in the research department by Dan Carlin. I sort of look at this like a less offensive version of the so-called historians Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter.

Top Bottom