The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #33 Rome

Gustavus Rex

Prince
The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #33

Welcome to the Immortal Challenge Lineup!

ICL Game #33 - Rome
Settings: Default + animations off.
Map – Pangea
DLC - All DLC - map packs

Starting location:

Information & rules:

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.
Links to all recent ICL-games:

All results gets documented in a spreadsheet by Consentient. To help him with his work, please use this headline tXXX victory-type in your finishing post. Example: t210 DV

Link to ICL Spreadsheet

Attachments

• ICL #33 Rome.Civ5Save
    744.4 KB · Views: 136
Managed to squeeze in a quick map-roll between doing as little as possible for as long as possible on my vacation. Haven't played a single turn so let's hope it's a nice map

No special settings except sparse recourses so keep an extra eye on happiness. ;)

Salt & Wheat - the only way to play!

T50
Spoiler :
So far so good. I did a worker steal & I am at war with a CS for some cheesy XP farming. There are plenty of luxuries in the starting zone. It looks like two AI victims are in range of the war machine.

Picture
Spoiler :

Yes! Life is to short to play without salt and wheat!

t50

Spoiler :

Liberty start for a change. Stole one worker from America who managed to kill my starting warrior in the brawl... Build one settler before the free one. I might settle one more city and cash buy library before NC but haven't decided yet. I also might go for honor instead. Either way I got war in mind. Want to try some balistas instead of archers. We'll see!

Curses!
Spoiler :
THERE'S ONLY TWO IRON!!! :gripe:

T88 Ruining my reputation
Spoiler :
I didnt want to wait 8 turns for the DoF to end. That is one shot from the Balista.

T99
Spoiler :

T116
Spoiler :
Played fast & loose here at work on lunch. I think I will now turtle and try for a museum CV after work, but not until after I plant a citadel right next to NYC. :satan:

Hmmm i guess i d fancy an immortal game to chill out from DCLs, especially with the liberty obvious Romans.

Honestly, those "sparse" maps only reinforce 4-city Tradition playstyle because:
1. Fewer luxuries means less gold = you need Monarchy
2. Fewer luxuries means less happiness = you need Monarchy

Rome's UA screams wide, and Immortal is the level where going wide is not punished as hard as on Deity, yet we get a map which is basically empty. Might as well post a Mongolia map with no horses.

I disagree. Might as well go wide and grab what's available in 1st or 2nd circle. i did a 5 city (wanted 6) liberty, and i'm perfectly fine happiness wise. I dealt with a few turn of negative in the first 60/70 turn and now cap is 25 pop, expos 10 to 16 below t200.

Tradition would have worked fine as well especially as i didnt build a 6th expo but meh. Liberty works just fine here. SIP Capital dirt is awfull though, if i'd redo it i'd go north where first expo is.

And i didnt remember how EZ mode immortal is lol. Tech leader right after renaissance and grabbed so many wonders i actually checked difficulty level just to be sure. I gotta play immortal more often, it's soothing for the mind ^^

Honestly, those "sparse" maps only reinforce 4-city Tradition playstyle because:

Rome's UA screams wide, and Immortal is the level where going wide is not punished as hard as on Deity, yet we get a map which is basically empty. Might as well post a Mongolia map with no horses.

I disagree. I get your point but I always play with sparse and I don't find it drastic like that. I normaly would have seen to that there were more
Spoiler :
iron
before posting this one though... Sorry for that.

Feel free to share a map of your particular likening to immortalchallgenelineup@gmail.com :)

Liberty + Pyramids isn't enough gold for you?

Regardless, even without exploit, do what Rome are famous for and you won't be short of cash.

I have over 300 turns in now. I played for hours last night, almost constant war. I tried to do an autocracy CV but with a ruined rep, I now have to eliminated the two culture leaders after I punch through the guy that built the Great Wall. Epic fun (GW Bombers), but time consuming.

I wouldnt mind seeing another Rome game with normal resources. :)

Edit: And now the guy that built the Great Wall has fallen and that leaves 3 really strong AI left to deal with.

Which sounds bad tbh lol. But i had the feeling that there wasnt much more to do really as unlike deity, the AI doesnt pull you up with tech cost reduction as you end up being tech leader quite fast. Same goes with the WC, it started so late compared to deity... Same goes with GPT, they take forever to be okay there, and grabbing luxes ? seems like they didnt care. had to wait after indu to find AIs with copies of luxes lol.

Also, i SIPed and the dirt around the capitol is really quite poor so until Fert, it took every caravan to grow it. Got limited in expansion due to happiness being meh until late renaissance. Expos werent in the best locations due to the early need to settle right next to luxes. End game was just "next turn" spam so probably could have do better there too but probably not by much.

Still, 5 city NC at turn 91. Grabbed pyramids, oracle, HS, SS, LTOP, ET, (completely scrubbed SOL as i had everything i needed, same for uffizi, really not needed), Broadway, PT and spammed 10 archeologist. With all this, i popped maybe 10/12 scientists so after all, PT was overkill really. Still allowed to get +33% Culture from aestetics police in a city with 2 culture monuments.

Faith was strong. I ended with 80+ FPT with pagodas, salt pantheon and the +2 per wonder (quickly figured i'd grab a lot). Probably overkill there too as i made temple everywhere with the goal to go for great temple until i realized it wasnt needed at all (HS +1 more faith prophet made my religion bullet proof)

So yeah, immortal is pretty boring really, but still a nice strat practice especially as i suck at CulV (cf victory turn 277). But if someone could ease my mind and confirm that you cannot get as quick of a victory in immortal compared to deity due to AIs underperforming, i'd appreciate it :lol:

Screen :
Spoiler :

Brute Force CV T381

Spoiler :
I split the world with Sully.

The turn before victory.
Spoiler :
My one and only Legion is highlighted. He fought his way across the entire map.

My core empire and a trusty bomber.
Spoiler :

That was a fun game. I wish there was more iron.

Brute Force CV T381

Spoiler :
I split the world with Sully.

The turn before victory.
Spoiler :
My one and only Legion is highlighted. He fought his way across the entire map.

My core empire and a trusty bomber.
Spoiler :

That was a fun game. I wish there was more iron.

So, "He" decided to crush everyone east as well in your game. Dude was just crazy in mine.

Ah yes, I may have encouraged him a little. I was trying to take advantage of Cult of Personality, but it didnt work too well this time. It was OK for converting him, but in the end, I had to resort to genocide for the other two. It should play out a little cleaner if done right.

T261 CV

What's interesting is that I've played two culture games under fairly similar conditions (I'd argue this map is similar to the Egypt DCL one), went 6 city Tradition in one, 6 city Liberty in the other, on different difficulty levels, and finished at around the same time, though I had a bigger target to overcome on Deity, of course.

Nothing much to say about this one except thanks to the OP for providing such a wonderfully easy map to experiment with wide Culture on. Sparse resources was something one had to bear in mind, but at no point did it create real dramas.

Things I did right this game was concentrating turn-by-turn on Diplomacy with
Spoiler :
Washington
and going to Radar before Internet.

Screenshots show:-

1. Core of Empire, end of Early Game
2. Same, end of Midgame
3. Probably the latest discovery of
Spoiler :
GBR
anyone will post to this thread
4. This mega GA was a big part of my success, most likely ;)
5. Tech lead and a half
6. GW gets his comeuppance
7. Victory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree. I get your point but I always play with sparse and I don't find it drastic like that.
I am not saying it's drastic or undoable, I am simply saying it's not fun. But then again, people have different ideas of fun.

Well it makes Immortal slightly harder, which is a good thing IMO since after learning to beat Deity, Immortal is much too easy. Without sparse resources this map is so OP it would rank in the top 3 or 4 of maps I've ever played on. Please keep the sparse resource maps coming :)

CV T250

Spoiler :

Peaceful 3 city CV. Stole a few workers from America and India. No religion. Got many culture wonders, and several extra ancient wonders too - ToA. HG, Oracle.

Voted cultural heritage sites, WF and then IG. IG was currently in the progress. Hotels + Internet was enough to win.
I had too many social policies in the end and I did not know what to take :D

Attachments

• icl_rome_sun.jpg
    icl_rome_sun.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 636
Top Bottom