NESLife attempt #3

thanks for the replies!

@Abaddon you were right. Jim2 and the Agnolotti should not have been in there, ive removed them now. But note that a lot of old species are still surviving.

@cvlowe, you cant have more than one new creature per person turn. But you can put two new genes into the same evolution. Is it OK if i just use the second creature you posted? BTW i meant to mention about gills and stuff, this is a good way to go for fast creatures (i will explain a bit more when ive sorted out a list of genes etc)

@TerrisH that is kinda nasty, i like it :) edit: i assume were all commenting on how evil it is to evolve spores that burrow into other creatures and kill them from the inside.

He'll soon wipe out all of his possible carriers, then go extinct himself. Plus, some may get digested. Anyway, no single trait makes something all-powerful.

@cvlowe, you cant have more than one new creature per person turn. But you can put two new genes into the same evolution. Is it OK if i just use the second creature you posted?

Yes, that was my two genes. I just had them written out separately. I'll edit it into one to make it more clear.

The parasitism probably can't kill all of the things it burrows into, and likely most creatures that are highly affected will develop immunity.

:confused: I don't get it.

What a horrible way to die!

He'll soon wipe out all of his possible carriers, then go extinct himself. Plus, some may get digested. Anyway, no single trait makes something all-powerful.

I know, I was just commenting on the ability in general ;)

Not at all like the parasites that convince insects and other small animals to kill themselves or offer themselves to predators. :p

OK- after reading up on my target creature, I made another change to the Hunter. Just changed the name of a gene, but not it's effect. Should I re-post it or leave it back on (post 194)?

Should I re-post it or leave it back on page 10?
Hey its on page 5! ;) naming a page its not very usefull since the number of pages due to each individuals settings, the post # remains the same though :)

@Daftpanzer would the above mentioned parasite affect Complex Stomachs or will they be digested?

Spoiler :
Scuteryte: Lord_Iggy
Evolved from: Brilotyte
Genes (5): Crawling x2, Eating Dead Things x1, Exoskeleton x1, Communal Behaviour x1
Description: This descendent of the Brilotyte is quite similar to its ancestors physically. Their biggest difference is behaviour. They group together into family 'packs', roving the seafloor in search for carrion. When it is found, they bring it back to their family's 'nest', to share with their relatives. When a group reaches a critical mass, it will split apart, with one group moving into a new range. Through this method, Scuterytes have spread throughout the seas of the world.

Name: Esturyte
Evolved from: Scuteryte
Gene added (max 1): Claws, Terralungs, Plant Eating (assuming plants to be sponges, slimes, and other various photosynthesizers).
Gene removed (optional, max 1):
Description (optional): As the Scuterytes continued to thrive and diversify, the group began to divide into two main lineages. The Scuterytes remained in the sea, while the Esturytes began to move into the shallows, and eventually onto land. There, they feasted upon the corpses of animals washed upon the shore, and eventually on the numerous tidepool plants and various photosynthesizers.

This was a milestone, the first active lifeform to spend significant amounts of time on land. This incredible achievement was made possible by several changes from the original Scuteryte species.

Firstly were the 'terralungs', chambers in the Esturyte's exoskeleton which held seawater. From here, oxygen was transferred into the creature's circulatory system through a thin gill-like area, and carbon dioxide was transferred out. While the first forms of the Esturyte needed to pop back into the water several times a minute, more evolved forms could spend hours out of the water even in hot and dry conditions, as long as the delicate air transfer membrane was kept damp.

Less notably but just as important was the thinning and lightening of the Esturyte's exoskeleton, and the strengthening and lengthening of its legs. The increased strength to weight ration was critical to supporting the animal's weight in air.

While the scavenging on the shoreline made for a subsistence living, Esturytes were quick to adapt to make use of all of the available foods in this difficult new environment. One of their numerous sets of scavenging mouthparts developed into a much larger and more obvious form, becoming piercing and cutting claws.

With these new tools, the ever-adaptable Esturytes were quick to begin preying on the only other source of food- the photosynthetic life forms found all over the world's shorelines. Strong claws would rip apart the gourds of the numerous coastal plants, exposing their nutritious interiors. Sometimes the Scyterytes would even dare to attack the dangerous Urchins, snapping off some of the deadly spines in an attempt to gain the rare meal concealed within.

Who knows where this ever-adaptable family Scuteridae will expand to next?

Is it out of the question to evolve jaws or simple jaws yet? Trying to catch up on past updates still while I work on my creature.

There was one creature with jaws, but it went extinct.

edit: templates on the first page now reflect the increased gene limit, sorry for confusion. Default of 2 genes allowed for evolutions, 3 if starting from scratch.

@cvlowe, you dont need to repost it, ill use the edited version, thanks for the heads up.

@The Farow, nothing to stop you adding jaws at any time. As cvlowe says theyve been in the game already, on a creature without a skeleton. It doesnt have to be realistic. Just enough realism to keep the game going really.

@Iggy, thanks, the Esturyte sounds interesting :)

@erez, by default size will depend on the lifestyle of the creature and how well fed it is etc, but genes can 'modify' that. I intend to post more info on this soon.

Name: Primitive Zeeboo
Evolved from: Proto-Zeeboo
Gene added (max 2): Photosynthesis X1, Mass Reproduction X 1
Gene removed (optional, max 2): None
Description (optional): While the Proto-Zeeboo proved successful, it came late to the game of evolution. In an attempt to keep up with the more advanced and prolific plants that the Zeeboo line of evolution would have to match the numbers of competing plants. While the Primitive Zeeboo maintained the Capsaicin defense mechanism, the focus in this era was on energy and numbers. Increase the ability to create and store energy, and then use that energy to proliferate.

Spoiler :
Protodid: Grombar
Evolved from: Diddler
Genes (6): Crawling x2, Sponge Eating x1, Slime Eating x1, Complex Stomach x1, Claws x1
Description: Although its food sources are immobile, the Protodid evolved more efficient legs for crawling around and searching longer distances on the seafloor.

Omnidid
Evolved from: Protodid
Genes (6): Crawling x2, Sponge Eating x1, Slime Eating x1, Complex Stomach x1, Claws x1
Genes Added (max 2): Cold Resistance x1, Complex Stomach x1
Description:By adapting its stomach to be able to handle more complex foods (acids, poisons, bones, ect.) the Protodid evolved into the Omnidid. Along with this transformation it also developed the ability to survive in colder waters so that it had more grounds to feed.

@Grombar, is the Complex Stomach not what makes a creature an omnivore? (what i mean is, what does an "Omnivore" gene add that the Complex stomach does not already do?)

Top Bottom