SGOTM 13 - Gypsy Kings

Checking in also but busy for a while today.

Given some testing I did earlier, settling on the PH seemed far and away better than any other option, and it wasn't even close.

Some things I definitely agree with: Slavery is a must. Exploration is a very high priority.
YES AND YES!

Try testing settling on PH, I think you may find better results!!!

2. Given that we have such an abundance of , might our alternative be to aggressively settle our neighbouring islands?
I totally agree here from my early testing. We need to make getting OFF this island our highest priority IMO. Napoleon won't conquer the world if he stays on Elba island. ;)

T104 Oracle is indeed very fast!

I don't have the ability to play test games at work (alas:sad:). We might consider 3x WB then Settler before the first worker even. Plant that second city 3E of the starting location, and it already has visible access to some good shared food resources + 2 mines - I would suggest building the Oracle here.

Wow, I can see I'm going to be a total newb here. I play Civ with a lot less thought about decisions than this! I'm going off to try Grifftavian's test game now. Maybe I'll learn something. Right now the only I advice I can give is we should leave our first city named 'Paris'. :mischief:

Right now the only I advice I can give is we should leave our first city named 'Paris'. :mischief:

AlanH said:
In this game you are playing Napoleon of the French. Following your defeat by the Sixth Coalition you have been forced to abdicate and exiled to the remote island of Elba. It is time for you to take your revenge on the European powers that have defeated you. Are you up for the challenge, or are you going to end up like the real Napoleon, defeated and condemned to finish your life in exile for the second time?

Thanks for this scenario go to DynamicSpirit.

In keeping with the spirit of the game description, we could go with Elba as the name of our first city! :crazyeye:

I'll give settling on the Plains Hill a try next!

Wow, I can see I'm going to be a total newb here. I play Civ with a lot less thought about decisions than this!
We were all noobs once. For me, it was back in SGOTM7. Please don't be afraid to speak out about any ideas you have - often players can get stuck into old habits and it takes a fresh perspective to come up with something amazing.
Spoiler :
Eg, *always* targeting certain wonders/gambits...:p
It's great to have you with us :dance:

Also, welcome back old GK team members! And a big welcome to Mabraham who is also with us for the first time :cool:

I managed to improve on my PB (which is now 1650BC, for those who think in years). I have attached a series of saved games for anyone who wants to try to improve it. It started from my first test save (next post).

Key features:
  • One off-island side city founded, without warrior defence
  • Finished Oracle 2 turns after Fishing-Mining-BW-Sailing-Myst-Medi-PH-Writing (i.e. no Pottery) having not sacrificed much/any :commerce: along the way, i.e. there's only about 2 turns of scope for improvement for Oracle->CoL. Oracle->MC from Pottery could be a bit faster
  • In this test, Izzy+Marble build the Oracle T91, so I hacked her in World Builder to get the final data. I have observed an AI on this map in another test build the Oracle T94.
  • There is a bit of fluff in the how-to below, so scope for improvement
  • Only one chop contributed, and the PFH mine got up only just before completion. Rather than the settler, we could build a second worker and a monument, which will get the Oracle several turns faster, but sacrifice empire expansion and future capital :health:

Somebody else can contribute some useful data by setting up a game with 6 Industrious AIs, just pressing Enter and finding out when Oracle, Pyramids and Colossus are built over several (10?) iterations. Then same with 6 non-Industrious AIs. Then we'll have a feel for reasonable target dates and thus fuel for the discussion.

The how-to
T0 SIP, work corn, fishing, rax (just in case the :hammers: last long enough for us to come back to it), warrior wanders around before returning to capital
T10 Mining, switch to WB
T11 Growth to 2, work PFH and GF
T20 WB->clams, WB, work PFH and clams
T21 BW
T31 WB->clams, WB, work both clams
T34 Growth to 3, work both clams and PFH
T40 Slavery, Sailing
T41 Whip WB
T42 WB->clams, WB, work both clams
T43 Growth to 3, work trip clams
T48 Growth to 4, work trip clams and PFH (1:food: > 1:hammers: but 5th population is useless from :yuck:, so get WB out ASAP)
T51 Worker, start WB exploring
T54 Mysticism, start lighthouse (think trip clams+PFH still right, to get worker faster)
T55 Whip lighthouse
T56 Back to worker, work trip clams
T61 Meditation, galley, improve corn
T62 Growth to 4, work trip clams and corn (make sure of 2-pop whip on galley)
T65 Growth to 5 :)yuck:), work trip clams, corn, GF
T69 Growth to 6 :)yuck:+:mad:), road corn
T70 Whip galley (2 pop)
T71 Priesthood, settler, finish corn road, work trip clams+corn
T72 worker->galley
T73 worker->GH
T74 mine GH
T78 Writing, whip settler (1 pop)
T79 settler->galley, work trip clams
T80 Oracle, worker->galley->capital, galley heads off with settler (risky, no protection - maybe settle island), work trip clams and GHmine
T81 worker->PFH
T82 mine PFH
T85 Growth to 5:)mad:) work two clams, Gmine, PFH
T86 un-:mad:, work two clams, GF, GHmine, PFH
T92 Alphabet, finish PFH, work trip clams, GHmine, PHmine
T93 Growth to 6:)mad:), whip oracle, work trip clams
T94 Oracle, claim victory, etc.

Final screenshot - NB has spoiler info for my first saved game (next post)
Spoiler :

OK, here are my three test saved games. They're each on quite different map types, and quite different again from Grifftavian's test game. The first test game corresponds to the game reported in the previous post, not that it matters much.

Nice job with the testing Mabraham.

Oracle is sometimes taken by the AI T91 or T94? Yes, it would be good to investigate a number of trials to see if this is very common behaviour.

I understand it is desirable to play test games because right now there really isn't anything else to do. But I'd recommend restraint when it comes to inferring how the actual game will behave. One thing that may be an important factor, is that I think there is a high chance we are starting this game completely isolated.

What I do like is the good planning for the first 20 or so turns - where we basically DO know all the little details. In this respect I am in favour of:
1. Either warrior or barracks first to grow to size 2,
2. Growth should coincide with learning fishing, at which point we begin a workboat.
3. How to get that first workboat out ASAP - looks like the optimum is to work gf+phf.

I think both Mabraham and Griff are testing the same things here, assuming settle-in-place.

What the warrior reveals on turn 0 might make us inclined to move the settler, ie, settle on the ph. I can think of some pros and cons for this move:
Pros to settling on ph:
extra 1:hammers:/turn more than makes up for lost output from moving for the turn.
That extra :hammers: also accelerates the rest of our opening.
The island to the west is available for settling, which will claim the missed clams.

Cons to settling on ph:
Capital loses one source of clams.
Cannot settle additional cities on starting island (fog gazing masters - do we know for sure that the island doesn't continue to the north?)
An additional 2 forests

(fog gazing masters - do we know for sure that the island doesn't continue to the north?)
If I had to guess I would say no based on the description of the game. :D And if it is that small of an island I would think building a warrior first might not be necessary? Would there be a threat from barbarians at this level if it is just a small island?

If I had to guess I would say no based on the description of the game. :D And if it is that small of an island I would think building a warrior first might not be necessary? Would there be a threat from barbarians at this level if it is just a small island?
If I hold my laptop screen up close and squint through my bifocals :scan: it doesn't appear to me that the home island has any land to the North. IF that is the case, we shouldn't have to worry about land based Barbs on the home island. I'd be more worried about Barb Galleys pillaging the Clam Boats. That might make an Oracle>Metal Casting slingshot more favorable, in order to get out a Trireme or two to defend the Clams.

A long term solution to the lack of hammers for a SIP Paris would be The Moai Statues. IIRC, SIP will have 12 water tiles in the BFC (3 of them Clams). The one time I did get The Oracle built in my test game, I build Moai Statues first, chopping all the forests into Moai, and then build Oracle by working hammer enhanced Clams and two Mines. The downside to that approach was that when I met the first AI Civ just after I had completed The Oracle, they had 5 or 6 cities to my two. So while a SIP Paris may be a good site for Moai, I wouldn't recommend building them until we have several more cities up and running, hopefully cities with better production that have secured Copper, Stone, Marble, Horses and/or Iron.

Maoi-capital is a good suggestion. At size 6 it will take at least 38 turns to build with the max 10:hammers:-turn to build available (375:hammers: total, some chops and whips possible). Then at size 6 we'd work corn + 3 clams + 2 coast tiles to get 5:hammers: per turn back, so payoff in 75 turns. If we get HR (somehow) or Pyr->Rep then we can get higher rates of return, of course. Obviously, it would be enhanced by Colossus and Bureaucracy (but the latter clashes with Nationalism later). The longer the game goes with us working the coast tiles, the better the total return. However in an SGOTM, the question is more about applying sufficient force early enough, rather than maximum force eventually. My general feeling from forum-reading and experience is that the Maoi is useful in long games, or to make a marginal city site playable.

At the magic size 11 for Caste System (below), assuming infinite health and happiness, with Moai+forge+Colossus+granary our working population returns (ratios are :food:/:hammers:/:commerce: post-modifiers, net of city costs) 14/12/27 on corn+clams+coasts, or 11/19/21 on corn+mines+clams+coasts. We're still whipping that food to hammers at about 3:food: to 5:hammers:, so call it 0/37/27 or 0/39/21 per turn on average, after a lengthy building program. Note Bureaucracy hasn't been factored in. If our capital is spending 30+ turns on a Moai, and the second city at least that long on forge+Colossus, who's building our settlers?

Alternatively, the capital can sit at size 6 building non-whip settlers (149:hammers:) at 19:food:+:hammers: per turn. That's 4.8 settlers over 38 turns. Then run Caste System (whenever we get HR or Rep or something) so that at size 11 our working population returns (ratios are :food:/:hammers:/:commerce:/:science:/:gp: net of city costs) 0/0/6/21/21 net. Those :gp: will rapidly become piles of :science:, of course. (Can anyone estimate a rate?) Note that Pyramids/Parthenon/NE/Pacificism haven't been factored in. Adding any one of Pyramids/NE/Pacificism doubles one of those 21 values. A library in the capital in this scenario is slightly better value than the former scenario. Ditto academy.

I think the latter generally offers faster returns, and we're after a fast game. In particular, it offers faster :science: returns, and we need to get a serious tech lead for conq/dom. In the latter, we spam out a number of cities suited to our terrain (preferably 6+ for the theatres we'll want later), and then knuckle down to scientists. Maybe our second city is trying for forge->GE Pyramids (or straight :hammers:), maybe not. Our side cities will either run some merchants to float the economy (if they have food and no hammers), or build the necessary stuff (if they have hammers) since we can't be whipping.

I think Settling the 2nd city on our initial island gives us a nice solution to this happiness problem for the capital. The 2nd city can use the corn and 1 clam that the capital can't use when we whip it down to 2 pop. The can both grow reasonably well sharing and we can use the good tiles all the time without running into as many happiness issues. They both can be heavily whipped multi-pop whipped with max OF and remain at relatively low populations...

Interesting idea, and contrary to my preconceptions. As you say, the crux of it is splitting the population over two cities to leverage the extra :) into more working of the good tiles. I will try it out.

Depending on early scouting, I think there will be two scenarios to consider here:
1. We are isolated, and require Astronomy to get anywhere. In this case we definitely need lots and lots of :science:. Possibly a smaller, more efficient empire to begin with?

2. We have a coastal link to the mainland. In this case we are much more limited by production.
2a) We can peacefully expand onto the mainland. In this case we prioritise settlers/workers/barb defenders and get over there.
2b) We can reach an AI by galley. In this case we should start planning to take over their lands ASAP.

Reaching the mainland and setting up a new colony (eg, with Forbidden Palace) should be a priority.

Interesting idea, and contrary to my preconceptions. As you say, the crux of it is splitting the population over two cities to leverage the extra :) into more working of the good tiles. I will try it out.
I suspect you could get a settler out by approx T50 if you did it before worker. Given the lack of useful things for the worker to do (3 clams isn't so bad without even farming the corn) it might work out well.

Checking in.

Had a quick read:

Some devil's advocate stuff...

:goodjob:

1. Are we *sure* that Oracle is even something we want? Oracle is 225 :hammers:, compared to CoL cost of 819 :science:, or MC cost of 1053 :science:. So we get something like 4:science::1:hammers:. What are our alternatives?

Pyramids (750:hammers:) is a leading alternative. We'd have to be using something like the poly-overflow strategy of Duckweed that bcool is suggesting. If we prioritise them, then IMO we're running a Caste-fueled SE next, and once we're magically at 11 population, those :hammers: become an extra 21:science:2:gp:/turn and a pile of :), so payoff in something like 25-35 turns.

2. Given that we have such an abundance of :food:, might our alternative be to aggressively settle our neighbouring islands?

It's either the top priority or an adjunct to it. Absent GLH, we need a way to pay for it. Currency for the extra 2-3:commerce: trade route would be essential, with CoL courthouses high on the list. That means slavery, and our :science: would have to come largely from the capital, perhaps enhanced by Colossus and Bureaucracy.

Wow, I can see I'm going to be a total newb here. I play Civ with a lot less thought about decisions than this! I'm going off to try Grifftavian's test game now. Maybe I'll learn something. Right now the only I advice I can give is we should leave our first city named 'Paris'. :mischief:

Welcome Thorn and mabraham! I hope your experience here will prove to be FUN first and foremost. As someone else said, playing is fun, winning is MORE fun! I am looking forward to hearing some new voices, no offense intended to any returning member of course. I also want it to be perfectly clear, This is NOT, MY team! I sort of fell into the leader role somewhere back around SG 3-4 when most every other member quit for one reason or another. If ANYONE doesn't like how ANYTHING is going, please speak up. I like to operate inside Democratic principles, this is not a Monarchy.

My initial thoughts after reading through what has been posted already and merging that with what I believe to be true about winning quickly will follow.

Try not to whip anything other than Settlers/Workers UNLESS it is an emergency. Never whip for less than 2 pop UNLESS it is an emergency. Try to maximize overflow if at all possible. Do not be afraid of red faces, they will be whipped away sooner or later. Always work your power tiles no matter what form they come in!

In my initial tests, settling on the hill seemed far superior to settling in place. The workboats get built sooner, that seemed to increase research rate and the whole process sped up from there.

There are a few reasons I like settling on the hill. That extra hammer really adds up over the course of the game if you don't sacrifice much to get it. I know in this circumstance we actually lose a forest chop, but I still like it. The second reason is total assumption, but I am betting that there is not really enough land to make 2 cities viable on this island. Thirdly, all trade routes will be overseas trade routes if we settle off the island ASAP.

I am not sure about the need for Astronomy, but I am sure that we will need a Navy at some level, if nothing more than barb defense. An Oracle for MC seems like a distinct possibility to solve the latter problem. IF we need Astro, that opens up a completely different set of issues. Exploring early will be a must, I would even go so far as to say send WB's in 2,3, or possibly 4 directions depending on what we encounter with the first 1-2. The seemingly obvious answer to the Astro question would be 4 GS's to bulb Machinery>Optics>Astro(2). The problem, where to generate them? Capitol city will have lots of food and be able run many Scientists under Caste System, but then we need to generate hammers for all other purposes in cities 2-3-4...etc. The other option is to run Scientists in multiple cities at the same time, and rotate the the building chores as the GS's are born. But I really think this is planning too far ahead as Adrian said. At this point, we can barely plan 20-30 turns if that, and where to settle city #2 is really out of the question!

I am going to give a go at the new BOTM, and see if I can survive the barb onslaught!

I played another Test Game, using mabraham's 2nd test map, and settled on the FPH on turn 1 this time. I managed to get The Oracle on Turn 85/1875 BC this time. Unfortunately, I was still researching Pottery when The oracle was whipped, so wound up taking Monarchy in lieu of Metal Casting. The morale of this story: After Midnight is a cool song, but not an optimal time for playing Civilization. :eek:

Downside is that I was still at just one city on turn 85 :sad: so aj's correct about concentrating on The Oracle at the expense of REXing out 2 or 3 more cities. I also hadn't met any of the neighbors by turn 85 in this game. Probably need to try a test game and concentrate on REX, see how many cities we can get out before crashing the Economy. But first some much needed Beauty Sleep!

Editted Autolog...
Spoiler :

Logging by BUFFY 3.19.003 (BtS 3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 0/750 (4000 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:36:07]
Player Comment SG13 TEST #6: Settle on PFH; using mabraham's 2nd test map
0% Gold: 0 per turn, 0 in the bank

Turn 1/750 (3975 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:36:21]
Paris founded
Elba begins: Warrior (11 turns)
Research begun: Fishing (10 Turns)
100% Research: 9 per turn

Turn 8/750 (3800 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:38:54]

After End Turn:
Elba's borders expand

Turn 10/750 (3750 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:39:19]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Fishing

Turn 11/750 (3725 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:39:23]
Research begun: Mining (12 Turns)

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 2
Elba finishes: Warrior

Turn 12/750 (3700 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:39:42]
Elba begins: Work Boat (23 turns)
Player Comment Catching up: Settled on FPH turn 1, building Warrior, researching Fishing
Player Comment Fishing complet, start Mining; Warrior complete, building WB, @size 2, working unimproved Clams & Forest Grassland (FG)
100% Research: 11 per turn

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Buddhism founded in a distant land

Turn 20/750 (3500 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:43:35]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Mining

Turn 21/750 (3475 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:43:36]
Research begun: Bronze Working (20 Turns)
Player Comment discovered Mining, researching BW

Turn 26/750 (3350 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:44:13]

After End Turn:
Elba finishes: Work Boat

Turn 27/750 (3325 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:44:18]
Elba begins: Work Boat (15 turns)
A Fishing Boats was built near Elba
Player Comment WB complete, nets Clams; building another WB, working Clam Boat & FG

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Hinduism founded in a distant land

Turn 28/750 (3300 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:45:35]

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 3

Turn 29/750 (3275 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:45:43]
Player Comment Elba @ Size 3, new citizen reassigned from Corn to unimproved Clams, knocks 2 turns off time to research BW!
100% Research: 13 per turn

Turn 38/750 (3050 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:48:06]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Bronze Working
Elba grows to size 4

Turn 39/750 (3025 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:48:31]
Research begun: Mysticism (118 Turns)
Player Comment discover BW, revolt to Slavery; researching Mysticism
Player Comment Elba @ Size 4 & unhealthy
100% Research: 0 per turn

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Gypsy Kings(France) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 40/750 (3000 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:51:18]

Turn 41/750 (2975 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:52:36]
Player Comment Whip WB for 1 pop w/39 hammer overflow

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Elba

Turn 42/750 (2950 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:53:17]
Elba begins: Work Boat (15 turns)
Player Comment WB to Clams, build a 3rd WB for exploration, 1 turn with Whip overflow!

After End Turn:

Turn 43/750 (2925 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:54:29]
Elba begins: Worker (12 turns)
A Fishing Boats was built near Elba
Player Comment 2nd WB nets Clams, 3rd WB out to explore, building Worker

Turn 48/750 (2800 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:56:53]
Player Comment

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Mysticism

Turn 49/750 (2775 BC) [20-Feb-2011 23:59:24]
Research begun: Meditation (12 Turns)
Player Comment discovered Mysticism, researching Meditation

Turn 51/750 (2725 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:00:32]
Player Comment Whip Worker for 1 pop/27 hammer overflow

After End Turn:
Elba finishes: Worker

Turn 52/750 (2700 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:02:25]
Elba begins: Monument (23 turns)

Turn 55/750 (2625 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:03:52]

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 3

Turn 56/750 (2600 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:04:26]
Player Comment Elba @ Size 3, working 2 Clams + Grass Hill 1N where Worker is building Mine

After End Turn:
Whip anger has decreased in Elba
Elba finishes: Monument

Turn 57/750 (2575 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:06:44]
Elba begins: Barracks (25 turns)
Player Comment Monument complete, building Barracks

Turn 58/750 (2550 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:07:56]
A Mine was built near Elba

Turn 60/750 (2500 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:08:41]
Player Comment Mine complete, worker building Corn Farm for health

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Meditation

Turn 61/750 (2475 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:09:49]
Research begun: Priesthood (8 Turns)

Turn 62/750 (2450 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:10:19]

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 4

Turn 67/750 (2325 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:11:45]
A Farm was built near Elba

Turn 68/750 (2300 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:12:20]
Player Comment Whip Barracks for 1 pop w/24 hammer overflow

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Priesthood
Elba finishes: Barracks

Turn 69/750 (2275 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:14:00]
Research begun: Sailing (15 Turns)
Elba begins: The Oracle (45 turns)
Player Comment discovered Priesthood, researching Sailing; building The Oracle in Elba

Turn 70/750 (2250 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:15:22]

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 4
Elba's borders expand

Turn 71/750 (2225 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:15:43]

After End Turn:
Whip anger has decreased in Elba

Turn 76/750 (2100 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:18:12]

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 5

Turn 77/750 (2075 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:18:30]
A Mine was built near Elba

Turn 83/750 (1925 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:21:02]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Sailing

Turn 84/750 (1900 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:21:12]
Research begun: Pottery (10 Turns)

After End Turn:
Elba grows to size 6

Turn 85/750 (1875 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:22:42]
Player Comment Elba @ Size 6; Whip Oracle for 3 pop w/7 hammer overflow; 1 tree chop into Oracle build

After End Turn:
Elba finishes: The Oracle

Turn 86/750 (1850 BC) [21-Feb-2011 00:24:58]
Tech acquired (trade, lightbulb, hut, espionage): Monarchy
Elba begins: Galley (38 turns)

OK I forked from my earlier how-to after the T48 save. I consider the fourth WB vital for exploration.

Oracle in second city
T51 Settler
T54 Mysticism
T56 :mad: expires
T57 Whip settler (2 pop)
T58 Settler->PFH, lighthouse, work 2 clams
T59 Settler->GH 3 E of Paris
T60 Orleans (builds lighthouse working clam), 0% science
T61 100% science, Paris works 2 clams+corn
T62 Medi, Orleans switches to monument
T66 Paris grows to 4, works 2 clams+corn+GF
T67 Paris switches to worker
T69 Orleans grows and whips monument
T70 Orleans builds lighthouse
T71 PH. Paris whips worker (2 pop)
T72 Paris builds second worker, worker farms corn
T73 Paris whips worker (1 pop)
T74 Paris builds lighthouse, second worker farms corn
T76 Corn farmed early
T77 Done PH. Orleans pops border, grows to 2, works corn+clams. Workers to PFH. 0% science.
T78 Workers mine PFH. 100% science
T81 Paris grows to 2, works 2 clams. Orleans whips lighthouse, works clam.
T82 Orleans grows to 2, works clam+corn, builds Oracle (with 23:hammers: flowing in)
T83 Finished PFH, one worker to GH.
T85 Orleans border pop
T86 Paris whips lighthouse (1 pop)
T87 Paris grows to 2, builds galley. orleans grows, works clams+corn+PHmine
T89 Paris whips galley. GHmine done, Orleans not ready for it yet
T90 Paris builds monument
T91 Done writing. 0% science
T92 Paris grows to 2, works 2 clams. Orleans grows to 4, works clam+corn+PHmine+GHmine. Still 12 turns before I can 2-pop whip an Oracle.

This is too slow. I can't see a way to make it considerably faster in Orleans, even if I omit the unnecessary monument. Life is limited by worker turns and tech rate even though Paris has been burned to the ground.

Oracle in capital
T54 Mysticism, lighthouse
T55 Whip lighthouse
T56 Paris grows to 4, work 3 clams+corn
T58 Paris whips settler.
T59 Paris builds worker
T61 Meditation. Found Orleans 3E of Paris, works clam, builds galley. 0% science.
T62 100% science
T68 Paris builds worker. Worker to PFH.
T69 Worker chops PFH
T71-72 Start PH somewhere in here
T70 Orleans grows to 2, works clam+corn
T73 Finish PFH chop
T74 Orleans whips galley. Worker mines ex-PFH
T75 Orleans builds lighthouse
T77 Writing. Could whip Paris down to 1 for second worker, but think unwise. Orleans grows to 2, works clam+corn. 0% science.
T78 Paris builds Oracle. Worker->galley 100% science.
T80 Worker farms corn. Worker mines GH
T83 Paris grows to 3, works 3 clams. Orleans works corn+PHmine
T86 Orleans whips lighthouse (1 pop)
T87 Paris grows to 4, works 2 clams+PHmine+GHmine. Orleans grows to 2, works clam+cornfarm. Oracle is 2-pop-whippable in 21 turns. Two chops make that about 14 turns.
T90 Pottery
T91 Orleans grows to 3. First chop done.
T92 Worker->galley
T93 Worker back to mainland, roads corn. Orleans builds settler.
T95 CoL
<time passes>
T101 Paris whips Oracle (2 pop)
T102 Oracle. Orleans grows to 4, whips granary

This is also too slow for the Oracle, but it does provide a nice springboard for the future. We have a second worker, and an extra mine. The second city is a lot more useful than the second city in my T94 Oracle, even considering the 8 turns difference. The two cities really do allow for :)/:health: caps that are effectively higher.

Spoiler :

Try not to whip anything other than Settlers/Workers UNLESS it is an emergency. Never whip for less than 2 pop UNLESS it is an emergency. Try to maximize overflow if at all possible.

I generally agree, but I'd suggest two exceptions. An Organized lighthouse is a 1-pop whip and if it adds several :food: then that may well be best. My T94 Oracle did one of these immediately Sailing was available, for +3:food:/turn. A granary is also an abnormally high priority, because it roughly doubles the rate of return of future whips, as well as keeping more tiles working more.

Do not be afraid of red faces, they will be whipped away sooner or later.

Can you explain further? IMO, growing unhappy can be OK (all it costs is 2:food: per :mad:, and that can be cheaper than not working your food tiles) but generating :mad: with over-whipping needs to serve a fairly important short-term priority if you could otherwise usefully work at the :)-cap.

Always work your power tiles no matter what form they come in!

Oh yes. :)

In my initial tests, settling on the hill seemed far superior to settling in place. The workboats get built sooner, that seemed to increase research rate and the whole process sped up from there.

OK, but do note that in my T94 Oracle SIP, I could work the PFH. My workboats arrived T20, T31, T42, T51. In Grifftavian's T85 Oracle settling on PFH, his workboats arrived T27, T42, T43 (and he needed no fourth WB). The critical difference here was that at size two, I could work PFH+GF for 2:food:5:hammers:0:commerce:/turn. He could work unimproved clams+GF for 4:food:1:hammers:2:commerce:/turn.

• My :hammers: production was higher before the workboats were online (which is when :hammers: are high-priority).
  • I was initially behind on :food:, but made that up fast when I got clams improved faster, and was probably ahead at T42.
  • His :science: output was higher early (he got BW a turn earlier than me) but lower later (my third clams meant I got Writing without Pottery on T92; he was due to get Pottery on T94).
  • During a bit over half of his Oracle, he was returning 8:hammers:/turn from his two mines+central square. During most of my Oracle, I was returning 7:hammers:/turn from island GHmine+PFH+central square, with the PHmine coming online for the last couple of turns, so the settling decision doesn't have a strong effect on the application of hammers to the Oracle.

IMO, where the settle-on-PFH decision shines is in the long term, once there's a second city using the neglected clam and we've got 3 of the available hills mined and settled for +1:hammers: on the fourth. The unknown is how good that second city might be... if it's clams plus one or two land squares, that's pretty poor.

A possible SIP scenario is settling a city 2S 4E of the settler, which can use the otherwise-wasted GH 3E of settler. IIRC Grifftavian's test save had this available.

There are a few reasons I like settling on the hill. That extra hammer really adds up over the course of the game if you don't sacrifice much to get it. I know in this circumstance we actually lose a forest chop, but I still like it.

:evil: But aren't we going to conquer fast enough that the higher returns don't come in :lol:

The second reason is total assumption, but I am betting that there is not really enough land to make 2 cities viable on this island.

I'm tending to agree. The SIP and city-3E option might be a better springboard for Pyramids + expansion without the Oracle, however.

Thirdly, all trade routes will be overseas trade routes if we settle off the island ASAP.

True, but AI contacts (if any) will do better than that, and we do show a :commerce: profit for an on-island second city before making AI trade routes.

I played another Test Game, using mabraham's 2nd test map, and settled on the FPH on turn 1 this time. I managed to get The Oracle on Turn 85/1875 BC this time.

Nice work!

Unfortunately, I was still researching Pottery when The oracle was whipped, so wound up taking Monarchy in lieu of Metal Casting. The morale of this story: After Midnight is a cool song, but not an optimal time for playing Civilization. :eek:

Given that you didn't use the Sailing you researched, you certainly could have Oracled MC or CoL if you had been playing with your whole brain :p:p

Another improvement is to build barracks for the first 10 turns, and then leave it on ice until you came back to it later. The hammers on it take at least 50 turns to decay, so you can transfer some of those onto the Oracle, instead of a warrior.

Downside is that I was still at just one city on turn 85 :sad: so aj's correct about concentrating on The Oracle at the expense of REXing out 2 or 3 more cities. I also hadn't met any of the neighbors by turn 85 in this game. Probably need to try a test game and concentrate on REX, see how many cities we can get out before crashing the Economy. But first some much needed Beauty Sleep!

Yeah, even if you worked up to T94, you were not going to get galley+settler+travel done. So there's a serious trade-off to consider, once we have some AI wonder-finishing dates for data.

Top Bottom