Modded Civ GoTM?

Sorry. I don't really know what I am missing, but I have not seen any modded civs that seemed very interesting to me. Maybe if you swapped them all out to get a Middle Earth theme or something? But it seems that would just leave me pining for more of a mod to the base game!

There's a few decently interesting /OP ones that can generate unique game scenarios. A lot are certainly more interesting than some of the civs in the base game anyway, like Denmark... whut.. ew, no one likes you denmark lol

Others can weigh in, but from the mostly negative reaction that OP maps have historically gotten when posted in the Deity Challenge, Immortal Challenge, and similar threads, I suspect there won't be much interest in playing OP modded civs. It can certainly be fun to stomp around the map as an OP civ, beating up on everyone else, but often there's not much challenge, is there?

Can the AIs be modded civs, or are modded civs only for the player?

Playing an OP modded civ (vs. the usual AI characters) is not appealing. It is like Browd pointed out -- OP and “interesting” seem mutually exclusive.

Others can weigh in, but from the mostly negative reaction that OP maps have historically gotten when posted in the Deity Challenge, Immortal Challenge, and similar threads, I suspect there won't be much interest in playing OP modded civs. It can certainly be fun to stomp around the map as an OP civ, beating up on everyone else, but often there's not much challenge, is there?

Well I see the most results posted in the GOTM forum for the games with the lowest difficulty setting and the most OP petra starts.
When it's like an immortal domination game that starts in jungle, people are like "NEWP".

But not all modded civs are unfair, most aren't.
There's some that try to take advantage of weak starts, like snow / desert / marsh tiles, and some that have slightly bonuses that you get from doing something you wouldn't necessarily do normally ( like working lake tiles ).

Some also have powerful early unique buildings that can maybe change the course of the game ( like Maya and Ethiopia ).

I dunno. Could be fun but I just probably play this game too much since I just discovered it recently and not in 2010 so I get bored with just 1 game of the month :p

You aren't limited to 1 GOTM each month -- the second one is always at Emperor or above, so a bit more challenging, but you should give them a try, even if you think you will struggle.

I'd be interested in trying such games, but wouldn't be contributing maps. Maybe try one out and if there isn't much interest, don't worry about a 2nd.

Top Bottom