CDG Series Discussion Thread

haha yeah, I kind of figured from reading this thread that this wasnt very popular - I was trying to make a (perhaps too) subtle joke.

Since this is my 300th post, I would like to volunteer an Alex for the future. 300 Spartans vs. unstoppable odds. Also going to do my Attila map too. The inspiration is flowing, and since I am now an expert with IGE, I know I can put these out. Anyways, next map is Byz, and I heard a Rome map idea mentioned, anyone else have idea for CDG 12, 13, and 14?

CDG 12: Beetle - Byz - April 15th+
CDG 13: undecided
CDG 14:

Civs available to choose from:
American - Washington
Arabian - Harun al-Rashid
Assyrian - Ashurbanipal - CDG02
Austrian - Maria Theresa - CDG08
Aztec - Montezuma
Babylonian - Nebuchadnezzar II
Brazilian - Pedro II - CDG09
Byzantine - Theodora - Claimed by Beetle for CDG12
Carthaginian - Dido
Celtic - Boudicca
Chinese - Wu Zetian
Danish - Harald Bluetooth - CDG10
Dutch - William
Egyptian - Ramesses II
English - Elizabeth
Ethiopian - Haile Selassie - CDG03
French - Napoleon
German - Bismarck
Greek - Alexander - Claimed by Wild_Woojsha
Hunnic - Attila - Claimed by Wild_Woojsha
Incan - Pachacuti
Indian - Gandhi
Indonesian - Gajah Mada - CDG05
Iroquois - Hiawatha
Japanese - Oda Nobunaga
Korean - Sejong
Mayan - Pacal
Mongolian - Genghis Khan
Moroccan - Ahmad al-Mansur
Ottoman - Suleiman
Persian - Darius I - CDG01
Polish - Casimir III
Polynesian - Kamehameha
Portuguese - Maria I
Roman - Augustus Caesar
Russian - Catherine
Shoshone - Pocatello - CDG07
Siamese - Ramkhamhaeng
Songhai - Askia
Spanish - Isabella - CDG04
Swedish - Gustavus Adolphus
Venetian - Enrico Dandolo - CDG11
Zulu - Shaka - CDG06

I'll add links to the games later, and edit this as claims come through.

Thats a useful overview. Strategies I would like to try/see how others do:

The violent scientist: Win SV leveraged by conquest (plenty of Civs possible)
The wide-tall: Peaceful SV/CV building a wide yet tall empire as Ghandi. No conquest allowed

I can try and find maps for those two, if that sounds interesting to you guys. I guess both can be a bit "hit or miss", but they will probably end up "medium" or "easy" depending on how ambitious achievements are.

Thats a useful overview. Strategies I would like to try/see how others do:

The violent scientist: Win SV leveraged by conquest (plenty of Civs possible)
The wide-tall: Peaceful SV/CV building a wide yet tall empire as Ghandi. No conquest allowed

I can try and find maps for those two, if that sounds interesting to you guys. I guess both can be a bit "hit or miss", but they will probably end up "medium" or "easy" depending on how ambitious achievements are.

I like the 2nd idea if there's a map with enough room for some massive city spamming. I've been wanting to try ICS for awhile, so this could be fun.

The 1st idea sounds like the strategy I employ in most of my own games (I'm a chronic turtler when not playing in these series and forced to other tactics).

Maybe Songhai, Arabia or Genghis for the first one. I was thinking along the lines of achievements per city captured and perhaps something about gaining gold/resources from peace deals.

VC will be domination, and I am thinking of disabling Culture Victory since its the only one that can be triggered accidentally by conquering every single person.

Going forward, is everyone cool with people doing this on their maps? Because I did it on the Venice map (CDG11) and forgot to put it in the OP. Sorry for that BTW, but going forward how shall we address concerns such as this?

5/01/2016 is coming, who wants CDG13?

Civs available to choose from:
American - Washington - Claimed by Wild_Woojsha for November 8th, 2016
Arabian - Harun al-Rashid - Possibly by Donkeyfish
Assyrian - Ashurbanipal - CDG02
Austrian - Maria Theresa - CDG08
Aztec - Montezuma
Babylonian - Nebuchadnezzar II
Brazilian - Pedro II - CDG09
Byzantine - Theodora - CDG12
Carthaginian - Dido
Celtic - Boudicca
Chinese - Wu Zetian
Danish - Harald Bluetooth - CDG10
Dutch - William
Egyptian - Ramesses II
English - Elizabeth
Ethiopian - Haile Selassie - CDG03
French - Napoleon
German - Bismarck
Greek - Alexander - Claimed by Wild_Woojsha
Hunnic - Attila - Claimed by Wild_Woojsha
Incan - Pachacuti - Claimed by Shark Diver for CDG13, scheduled for May 1st.
Indian - Gandhi - Claimed by Donkeyfish for CDG14, scheduled for May 15th.
Indonesian - Gajah Mada - CDG05
Iroquois - Hiawatha
Japanese - Oda Nobunaga
Korean - Sejong
Mayan - Pacal
Mongolian - Genghis Khan - Possibly by Donkeyfish
Moroccan - Ahmad al-Mansur
Ottoman - Suleiman
Persian - Darius I - CDG01
Polish - Casimir III
Polynesian - Kamehameha
Portuguese - Maria I
Roman - Augustus Caesar - Possibly by Donkeyfish, requested by many
Russian - Catherine
Shoshone - Pocatello - CDG07
Siamese - Ramkhamhaeng
Songhai - Askia - Possibly by Donkeyfish
Spanish - Isabella - CDG04
Swedish - Gustavus Adolphus
Venetian - Enrico Dandolo - CDG11
Zulu - Shaka - CDG06

I browsed the thread and added possibilities and requests that I found, looks like Rome and India are the most popular currently. Donkeyfish made no official claims, but just in case anyone is planning on stepping forward I put the possibilities in italics. Also, I kind of want to cook up a crooked map as a patriotic salute to my wonderful and free civilization on its upcoming federal presidential election day. If anyone else wants that one, or has a good idea for the greeks and huns, let me know and I'll give them up. Otherwise, lets make some claims and fill out the next few dates.

Go ahead and put me down for my favorite civ, the Incas. If you want me to put a map up for May 1st, I could use some suggestions on VC and achievements, but I've probably got time this week to roll a few hundred maps (we've got a nice storm coming into town so no diving).

(And I need a break from my 3rd attempt at the Byzantium map).

One question with the CDG games. How much customisation is allowed. Can you create a map and play for say 50 turns to create a more specific game (also using the map editor) and upload the save. Or do games have to start from turn 0.

I was thinking it might be cool to have some sort of fall of Rome or fall of China type scenario. You start at say turn 80 with a large, overextended empire (created with the map editor) which is under attack on all sides by warmongers like the Huns or Mongolia....
You have to then decide how much of your territory you're prepared to give up to hold your core cities. And can you recover you're original empire... Its very rare that players are in a position where they end up losing to warmongers and survive to win.

Go ahead and put me down for my favorite civ, the Incas.

Sounds terrific to me! Thanks!

If you want me to put a map up for May 1st, I could use some suggestions on VC and achievements, but I've probably got time this week
How about CV, using Blatc’s Achievement A from his Brazil map?

I like encouraging use of the UU. So borrowing from the Persia map, that would 3 points for building 10+ Slingers and keeping them alive to end of the game. CV often need the option for violence, so that fits.

And speaking of violence, how about an achievement point for each civ the players kills off?

For Inca, and any of the indigenous civs really, I would like to suggest hand-picking all the Native American AIs and then a couple historical colonists, like England and Spain, as the opponents. Consentient did this for his Spain CDG map, and I really thought it added flavor.

Finally, I will suggest something for the UA: 2-3 Terrace Farms, 1 point. 4-7 Terrace Farms, 2 points. 8-15, 3 points. 16-31, 4 points. 32+, 5 points.

we've got a nice storm coming into town so no diving
Forgive the naïve nosy questions, but do you make a living from diving? Is professional diving pretty much limited to entertaining tourist, or is there a lot more to it than that?

One question with the CDG games. How much customisation is allowed. Can you create a map and play for say 50 turns to create a more specific game (also using the map editor) and upload the save. Or do games have to start from turn 0.

I was thinking it might be cool to have some sort of fall of Rome or fall of China type scenario. You start at say turn 80 with a large, overextended empire (created with the map editor) which is under attack on all sides by warmongers like the Huns or Mongolia....
You have to then decide how much of your territory you're prepared to give up to hold your core cities. And can you recover you're original empire... Its very rare that players are in a position where they end up losing to warmongers and survive to win.

I was considering this myself for the America game I was thinking up in my head. The GOTM plays around with advanced starting eras, but its just not the same as starting with a normally created or even edited empire.

I know the original creator of this series (RIP) went crazy on the customization, and I personally went extra crazy on the April fool's map but that was kind of expected. For me personally, as long as I can open the map I don't care about how much it is customized, and I'd love to start in a crazy situation like a failing over-extended empire. Stopping the steamroller is a tough task for me, I hate losing cities that way...

Sounds terrific to me! Thanks!

How about CV, using Blatc’s Achievement A from his Brazil map?

I like encouraging use of the UU. So borrowing from the Persia map, that would 3 points for building 10+ Slingers and keeping them alive to end of the game. CV often need the option for violence, so that fits.

And speaking of violence, how about an achievement point for each civ the players kills off?

For Inca, and any of the indigenous civs really, I would like to suggest hand-picking all the Native American AIs and then a couple historical colonists, like England and Spain, as the opponents. Consentient did this for his Spain CDG map, and I really thought it added flavor.

Finally, I will suggest something for the UA: 2-3 Terrace Farms, 1 point. 4-7 Terrace Farms, 2 points. 8-15, 3 points. 16-31, 4 points. 32+, 5 points.

Forgive the naïve nosy questions, but do you make a living from diving? Is professional diving pretty much limited to entertaining tourist, or is there a lot more to it than that?

Good suggestions on the achievements. I especially like a Terrace Farm-based one.

The only problem with having 10+ Slingers is you sort of want to get Construction ASAP for Terrace Farms and that closes your Slinger window quickly. I guess this is more of a "challenge" than a "problem" as we'd all have to make choices.

Regarding your question on making a living diving; there are plenty of ways to make money diving, but not too many people ever got wealthy doing it. I have a "normal" job/business (that has a lot of flexibility) that pays the bills. Diving is more of a passion and a semiretirement plan.

More specific to your question, teaching the more advanced levels of diving (technical, cave, wreck, etc...) can pay pretty well. The retail side of the business (equipment sales) is probably the most lucrative, but that's the last thing I want to do (the idea of regularly scheduled hours frightens me). Photography and videography can also pay some bills. An entire different branch is Commercial Diving, but those guys are crazy, as they'll go through weeks in a decompression chamber and I don't know how anyone can avoid losing their sanity in constant isolation like that (although i'm told you can have a laptop in the chambers so perhaps one could have a perfect Civ 5 environment).

Well, this thread made me jealous. I suggest people that live on a nice Caribbean island from now on should be banned from talking about their real life :)

Yesterday, it was snowing here in Norway. I was in a traffic jam because of my regularly scheduled hours. Only thing I have is a picture of Belize...

Anyways, I can and roll an India map (seemed most popular of my ideas) for May 15th. I will make a suggested achievement thing on May 2nd, so we dont confuse the discussion with 2 maps at once. If Inca CV is next, I will chose India SV.

Some possible achievements for Inca:

1.Pay 0/<5/<10/<15 gold in tile improvement maintenance at end of game: 4/3/2/1p. 0p if any city you own is not connected.
2. Build/Conquer Macchu Picchu: 2p/1p. +1 point if built in Macchu. +1 point if city with Macchu Picchu has highest tourism end of game.
3. Fun bonus point: Steal land from Spain using Hernan Cortez. (obviously quite a random one)

Well, this thread made me jealous. I suggest people that live on a nice Caribbean island from now on should be banned from talking about their real life :)

Yesterday, it was snowing here in Norway. I was in a traffic jam because of my regularly scheduled hours. Only thing I have is a picture of Belize...

Anyways, I can and roll an India map (seemed most popular of my ideas) for May 15th. I will make a suggested achievement thing on May 2nd, so we dont confuse the discussion with 2 maps at once. If Inca CV is next, I will chose India SV.

1.Pay 0/<5/<10/<15 gold in tile improvement maintenance at end of game: 4/3/2/1p. 0p if any city you own is not connected.
2. Build/Conquer Macchu Picchu: 2p/1p. +1 point if built in Macchu. +1 point if city with Macchu Picchu has highest tourism end of game.
3. Fun bonus point: Steal land from Spain using Hernan Cortez. (obviously quite a random one)

Carribean... Norway... I got you all beat in the wonderful state of OHIO. I get to enjoy both of your climates. In the same day. Go bucks... :cry::cry::cry: We have a beach too, and the water is not salty... (although it probably should be, that stuff'll kill you...:vomit:)

Looks like May is filled out if that is the case. I like the VC's and achievements suggested too, we've had enough domination for a while. For starting location though, I think the Inca's should get a flat start so that they have to "Run to the Hills":rockon::band::rockon:. I'll show myself out.

Don't be too jealous, I'm stuck in San Diego for a few more months and there was a notable lack of global warming here this year (please don't let this comment inspire a debate on that particular subject).

Good suggestions on Inca achievements. Keep em coming guys, and I'll start working on the map (since I just lost Petra by 1 turn in Byzantium game and will likely rage quit).

Carribean... Norway... I got you all beat in the wonderful state of OHIO. I get to enjoy both of your climates. In the same day. Go bucks... :cry::cry::cry: We have a beach too, and the water is not salty... (although it probably should be, that stuff'll kill you...:vomit:)

Looks like May is filled out if that is the case. I like the VC's and achievements suggested too, we've had enough domination for a while. For starting location though, I think the Inca's should get a flat start so that they have to "Run to the Hills":rockon::band::rockon:. I'll show myself out.

"Go Bucks" comments really ruin my day. I'm a Ducks fan and still upset about that game last year.

"Run To The Hills"......my first Iron Maiden album (actually, I think it was a cassette tape).....good stuff.

Alright, two can play that game:

I suggest people who live in badass grim and frostbitten awesomery that is Norway from now on should be banned from talking about their real life (yeah I like Norwegian Black Metal, so what :lol: )

I have sketched some achievements for an Immortal India game since they're coming up, so you can look up that thread for hints if you need any

Good suggestions on Inca so far, thanks.

I'm also thinking of an achievement tied to population, as that is one of the Incan strengths. Something like:

Capital size: >30 = 1 point. > 35 = 2 points. > 40 = 3 points. > 45 = 5 points (since I've only seen one or two cities that size maybe ever).

or

Number of cities > 30 pop. 1 point for each.

Thoughts?

Before I start rolling a map, I wanted to make sure I disable the right map packs. Here are screen shots of the DLC I have on this laptop.

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 12.22.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 12.22.31 PM.png

Can one of you Really Smart Guys (RSGs) tell me exactly which ones to disable so that everyone can participate?

Also, do I need to change anything else?

Top Bottom