Question for forum 'Old Hands': Is there a Most Common New Modder Mistakes thread?

LeeS

Imperator
Have I simply overlooked it?

If there is not one, and you-all forum members think it may be of use, I may propose making one that could be placed in tutorials and references, or perhaps stickied in the main Creation and Customization forum.
We could use this thread as a "forum" to discuss what such a thread ought to include, if enough of you think it would provide some value.

A few things that occur off the top of my head:
  1. Incorrect usage of ModBuddy as far as file settings and activations go.
  2. Syntax errors in XML:
    • Incorrect Capitalization such as <update> instead of <Update>
    • Dangling <Row> or <Table> where there is no proper </Row> or </Table> before another occurance of <Row> or <Table>
    • Typos such as <Rwo> instead of <Row>
    • Solution: easiest one I can think of is to select the file in ModBuddy and look for highlighted syntax errors in the code and/or in the error message box
  3. Incorrect References
    • Trait names, Civilization names, Yield names, column commands that don't exist within the game
    • Misspelled Tech names, Resource Names, etc.
    • Failure to copy/paste when creating a new unit, building, etc., so that a new building (as example) is set in the <Type> as BUILDING_WORKHOUSE but is referenced in other tables as BUILDING_HOUSEWORK
    • Solution: referral to the correct listings of valid references (?)
  4. Existing Code repeats causing entire file dump by the game
    • Either in <Language_en_US> or some other table
    • Solution: ??
  5. Other types of repeat errors
    • Re-use of <ColumnName> within the same <Row>
  6. Code-Jamming
    • Use of Yields in tables where YIELD_X is not usable
    • Use of YIELD_HAPPINESS and YIELD_TOURISM
    • Trying to use <Column_A> from <Table_A> within <Table_B>, or trying to use a column like <FaithFromUnimprovedJungle>true</FaithFromUnimprovedJungle> within <Traits>.
  7. File-Dropping into ModBuddy
    • Not using "Add > New Item > ...." or "Add > Existing Item > ...." and instead merely plopping the files into the ModBuddy folder via Explorer or some other browser
  8. Saving the Modbuddy Project but never doing a "Build" or "Build Solution" within ModBuddy.

• There might be a whole different set of common mistakes for creating new civilizations vis-a-vis creating a new building vis-a-vis adding a new unit vis-a-vis creating icons.
  • Wherever possible I would think the idea would be to refer to an appropriate tutorial or reference, whether it exists here on the forum or elsewhere easily linked-to.

Thoughts?
(a) nice idea
(b) are you insane ? Do you realise how much work you'd be letting yourself in for?
(c) both (a) and (b) are true.
(d) here's another common mistake you've missed.
(e) *sigh* : the thread you are looking for is here.​

It's a great idea, and I agree that such thread should be stickied.

Among the things you haven't mentioned, there are some problems I encounter quite often, the first two are not directly related to the mod code itself, but to the process of "debugging" it:
  • Not using logs (there is another great tutorial by whoward69 about logs)
  • Not using a tool to view the database, which leads to misconceptions about its structure, and to lack of knowledge if the mod changes are actually applied or not
  • Using the old style file structure for art defines instead of the database changes
  • Not checking checkboxes like Reload Landmark System etc.
  • Using multiple mods together that are incompatible with each other
  • Using mods made for older versions of the game, or incompatible with expansions
  • Putting altered versions of the entire original XML files in the mod instead of changes to the database only
  • Using vanilla XML files as reference instead of expansion files
  • Problems with deleting things - see here
  • Common problems when making new civs - lack of at least 2 uniques, lack of spy names

I'll echo PawelS' suggestion about the checkboxes -- that's one of the things that tripped me up multiple times, and it's one of the things you always have to check when someone has trouble with new unit models, improvement models, or custom music...

I've wanted somebody to do this for a long time! Like a post called "Before you Post: The Beginner Modder's Checklist of Common Errors and Forum Procedures", to be stickied along with the Modiquette.

Baiscally, I think it should be a thread divided in two parts:
ERRORS - a list of the most common errors beginner modders make and the results of them. e.g. New Modder ABC can't figure out why their civ isn't showing up, so they go down the list of errors until they find "My new civ isn't showing up!" and proceed to read the list of possible causes. ABC, going back through their code, realizes they don't have 2 UCs.

FORUM PROCEDURES - Instructions on not posting in the subforums, using
Code:
 blocks, making sure they've read and followed whoward's tutorials on logging and mod attachment, etc. etc. We could also throw in a couple of whoward's most sage quotes.

And that way we just have to refer the newcomers to that post and not have to link the same tutorials and describe the same problems over and over and over again.

And that way we just have to refer the newcomers to that post and not have to link the same tutorials and describe the same problems over and over and over again.
That was one of my primary reasons for suggesting such a thread.

I re-purposed this post from its original usage.
For the OP of such a thread I'm thinking of something along these lines.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Proposed OP: (to be considered a rough draft)

How to Use This Guide:
  1. This Guide is intended to for use by the novice modder, and contains information on the following:
  2. This Guide is directed at the mistakes that we of this forum most-commonly see made by novice modders. It therefore is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of every single mistake we have ever seen, or every single mistake that could possibly be made by the novice modder. In cases where your problem is not shown here, you should as a general rule start a thread asking for help with your problem. Please follow the guidelines shown when starting a new thread asking for help: New Thread Guidelines
  3. LeeS' note: anything else we want to say here? Like maybe an instruction not to post their trouble questions in this thread. Rather, they should do so in the forum as instructed in New Thread Guidelines
(LeeS' note: on the bit shown in red in #2, is that good to say, do you think ?)

Listing of Useful Tutorials for the Inexperienced Mod-Maker:
Spoiler :

• I've been doing some browsing through the Forum's tutorials and references while waiting (and hoping) for further feedback on concept and common errors that have been missed.
  • Anyway, I've come up with the following preliminary list of tutorials and references sorted by subject-matter. If anyone knows of a useful tutorial for the beginning modder that I've missed (other than Keal's progenitor tutorial), please leave a link with a note as to which category it belongs. I intend to add Keal's tutorial to the list, but given that much of it is a bit dated, I want to come up with some prepratory 'advice' on how to make use of his tutorial.
  • I am thinking I would present this list of tutorials somewhere in the opening post of the "common mistakes" thread, and refer to these tutorials where appropriate in the 'meat' of the "common mistakes" thread.
Mod Creation Tutorials:
  1. The Newbie’s Guide to Modding Civilization 5 (by LuvToBuild)
  2. what ModBuddy setting for what file types tutorial (by whoward69)
  3. I'm sure there are a few utilities that would be useful to show here (some of which are probably on whoward's site) but I'm not certain in my mind as yet which ones would be good to show here. So suggestions and feedback of those would be helpful to me.

Mod DeBuggubg Tutorials:
  1. enable error logging tutorial (by whoward69)
  2. Same comment as for Mod Creation Tutorials: So suggestions and feedback would be helpful to me.

Forum Use Tutorials:
  1. zip your mods and attach tutorial (by whoward69)

Civilizations Tutorials:
  1. XML data files for Standard Civilizations (inc DLC) tutorial (by whoward69)

Buildings and Wonders Tutorials:
  1. [TUTORIAL] How to make a building: Entry level. (by Thadian)
  2. [TUTORIAL] XML (Advanced) Guide to Adding Buildings and Wonders to Brave New World (by LeeS)

Audio Add-ins Tutorials:
  1. [TUTORIAL]Making a custom Leader use Custom Music! (by Leugi)

Unit Tutorials:

Unit Graphics Tutorials:

Icon Creation:
  1. Civilization Icon Template (by sukritact)
  2. DDS Texture (Image File) Creation and Usage for Beginners (by whoward69)
  3. Icon and Screen Pixel Dimension Reference (by FramedArchitect)
  4. Civilization V-style Icons with Gimp (by DJS Henninger)
  5. Wodhann's Icon Graphic Tutorial (by Wodhann)
  6. Improvement, Policy & Unit Action Icons (Firaxis-style) (by Lord Tirian)

What you should do when you need to start a thread asking for help:
  1. In your original post you should try to be as specific as you can as to what your problem is, so far as you are able to understand what has gone wrong with your mod. Many times, however, what the novice modder thinks the problem is and what the problem actually is are two different things. Which is why, at a minimum, you need to adhere to #2 in this list of what you should do when starting a thread to ask for help.
  2. In your original post, attach a zipped-up copy of the built version of your mod. See this tutorial for how to add the attachment, and what is meant by the built version of the mod.
  3. Start the thread in the main Creation & Customization forum. DO NOT start your thread in any of the sub-forums: Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference, Civ5 - Modpacks, Civ5 - Mod Components , Civ5 - Graphics modpacks, Civ5 - Unit Graphics, Civ5 - New Civilizations, Civ5 - Scenarios, Civ5 - Custom maps, Civ5 - Map Scripts, Civ5 - Utility Programs, Civ5 - Project & Mod Development (or any of its sub-forums). You should avoid posting your question in the Civ5 - SDK / LUA sub-forum unless you are certain you have a question directly related to creating C++/lua programs.
  4. LeeS' note: anything else we really want to say they need to do?

Listing of Most-Common General Errors Made by the Inexperienced Mod-Maker:
The list would be covered here. By General Errors I mean such things as no OnModActivated or VFS=false when it ought to be "true". I also mean such things as not using IGE to help test with the mod, or more theoretical mistakes like trying to "eat the elephant in one gulp". I am thinking it would probably be good to keep the type of sub-dividing between "types" of general errors, but I am not "married" to that approach. Sorting through previous posts of this thread, I would think these ought to go here (and there would be obvious need for some prettification and perhaps re-wording to remove any potential remaining unfortunate off-putting verbage):
Spoiler :
  1. Incorrect usage of ModBuddy as far as file settings and activations go.
  2. Syntax errors in XML:
    • Incorrect Capitalization such as <update> instead of <Update>
    • Dangling <Row> or <Table> where there is no proper </Row> or </Table> before another occurance of <Row> or <Table>
    • Typos such as <Rwo> instead of <Row>
    • Solution: easiest one I can think of is to select the file in ModBuddy and look for highlighted syntax errors in the code and/or in the error message box
  3. Incorrect References
    • Trait names, Civilization names, Yield names, column commands that don't exist within the game
    • Misspelled Tech names, Resource Names, etc.
    • Failure to copy/paste when creating a new unit, building, etc., so that a new building (as example) is set in the <Type> as BUILDING_WORKHOUSE but is referenced in other tables as BUILDING_HOUSEWORK
    • Solution: referral to the correct listings of valid references (?)
  4. Existing Code repeats causing entire file dump by the game
    • Either in <Language_en_US> or some other table
  5. Other types of repeat errors
    • Re-use of <ColumnName> within the same <Row>
  6. Code-Jamming
    • Use of Yields in tables where YIELD_X is not usable
    • Use of YIELD_HAPPINESS and YIELD_TOURISM
    • Trying to use <Column_A> from <Table_A> within <Table_B>, or trying to use a column like <FaithFromUnimprovedJungle>true</FaithFromUnimprovedJungle> within <Traits>.
  7. File-Dropping into ModBuddy
    • Not using "Add > New Item > ...." or "Add > Existing Item > ...." and instead merely plopping the files into the ModBuddy folder via Explorer or some other browser
  8. Saving the Modbuddy Project but never doing a "Build" or "Build Solution" within ModBuddy.
  9. Not using logs (there is another great tutorial by whoward69 about logs)
  10. Not using a tool to view the database, which leads to misconceptions about its structure, and to lack of knowledge if the mod changes are actually applied or not
  11. Using the old style file structure for art defines instead of the database changes
  12. Not checking checkboxes like Reload Landmark System etc.
  13. Using multiple mods together that are incompatible with each other (added by LeeS: not dis-abling every mod that is not absolutely required for the new mod to run, with the obvious exception of IGE)
  14. Using mods made for older versions of the game, or incompatible with expansions
  15. Putting altered versions of the entire original XML files in the mod instead of changes to the database only
  16. Using vanilla XML files as reference instead of expansion files
  17. Problems with deleting things - see here
  18. Not using Live Tuner or IGE to "wring-out" the mod.
  19. Trying to make an enormous mod (or one's first mod) all in one 'go' as opposed to taking a componentized approach. This seems especially true with new civ mods where the trouble is in the uniques or the leader trait and not in the creation of the civ itself.

Listing of Specific Errors Made or Conditions Encountered by the Inexperienced Mod-Maker:
The list would be covered here. AggressiveWimp's proposed Spearman Issue would be the kind of thing covered. I've shown this last in this proposal for the Opening Post because I think it likely this part of the thread could run on to several (or more) posts.
  • My mod's units are just showing up like spearmen!
    • Have you checked the Reload Unit Box in Modbuddy?
    • Are all the unit animation files imported into VFS?
    • Does the unit correctly reference the unit art defines?
    • Are any typos made or invalid columns used in the unit art defines?
    • Are the unit art defines given an UpdateDatabase entry?
  • Common problems when making new civs - lack of at least 2 uniques (note: probably not how it would be presented but is a good example of the sort of thing I am thinking of for this section of such a guide. Presentation-wise, I was thinking of something along the lines suggested by AW)
  • Common problems when making new civs - lack of spy names (note: same as previous)
  • My new sound files don't play for my World Wonder or my DOM speech or my X (note: not sure what else would be effected by no Reload Audio System being checked)
    • Did you check the check-box "Reload Audio System" in the mod's Mod Info Tab ?

End of Proposed OP
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What we need at this point (in my view):
  1. A more fleshed-out list of the common problems in a form like AW's units appear as spearman issue for inclusion in the Listing of Specific Errors Made or Conditions Encountered by the Inexperienced Mod-Maker:
  2. Suggestions of tutorials or references that really ought to be included in the Listing of Useful Tutorials for the Inexperienced Mod-Maker:
  3. Suggestions and/or commentary on the stuff included in the listing of Most-Common General Errors Made by the Inexperienced Mod-Maker:
  4. Suggestions and/or commentary on the How to Use This Guide: section as it is currently just a rough draft.

I also have a couple questions for one of the forum moderators if/when they happen to view this thread:
(I feel we're still far enough away from being ready to create the "true" thread for this that I don't at this time want to bother them via a "thread report")
  1. Is it possible to 'lock' a thread (even if only temporarily) to a limited number of contributors?
    • I'm thinking this would help keep the actual thread we create for the Novice Modders Common Mistakes clean of semi-thread-jacky posts while the thread is being constructed.
    • I noticed when I started using the forum that there were some tutorials or references that were a bit more difficult to follow because the original author made the thread, then there were some intermediary posts that weren't always about thread-content, then more posts by the author adding more content info, etc. I have always found this to be bad from the point of view of the person looking for info.
  2. If #1 is not really workable, is it better to ask people to not post while the thread is being 'constructed' ?
    • Perhaps have one of you throw in a moderator comment at the top asking people not to do so?
    • With maybe a link to this thread for people who want to comment or add content suggestions?
I'm really just looking for means to make the least amount of work for the moderation/admin staff while at the same time providing for a 'clean' end-product. Any of your thoughts appreciated from your forum-moderator as opposed to your mod-maker 'hats'. And of course any thoughts from the point of view of your mod-maker 'hat' are always welcome as well.

Well, shall we start compiling the list of common mod "symptoms" and their list of causes? Does anyone else really think that's necessary?

I was thinking they could be in a format like this:

My mod's units are just showing up like spearmen!
  • Have you checked the Reload Unit Box in Modbuddy?
  • Are all the unit animation files imported into VFS?
  • Does the unit correctly reference the unit art defines?
  • Are any typos made or invalid columns used in the unit art defines?
  • Are the unit art defines given an UpdateDatabase entry?

These are just the ones I could think of off hand. Any other ideas?

Does anyone have a link to a download for a SQL database viewer ? More than one suggestion or course is welcome.

And yes, I am going to proceed with the concept of this thread. I just want to get one or two other things done first. Probably I will write the basic text of this "guide" between X-mas and N'Years. So if anyone also has any more suggestions for new-modder mistakes often seen on the forum please drop a note here, thx.

We might as well start compiling the list of mod symptoms, since that way it's just a copy/paste job.
LeeS apparently liked the proposed format, so, here's one that we absolutely must include, since this issue comes up nonstop. All. The. Time.
My new civilization mod loads, but the new civilization doesn't appear on the selection screen!
  • Enable logging and check the database.log - Does it show any fatal syntax or reference errors in the civilization file (which would cause its entire content to be discarded)?
  • Does your civilization have at least 2 correctly referenced unique components?
  • Has your civilization XML or SQL file been given an UpdateDatabase entry?
  • Are you sure the civilization file does not contain a duplication of any object, whether it be in the <Civilizations> table or not?
  • Has the civilization been correctly assigned a leader?
  • Has the leader been correctly assigned a unique ability?
  • (something else)

You know, the idea of this thread is great, but.... a(updated!) Complete Modding guide would be the most helpful thing(for me at least).

I don't think it's possible to create a Complete Modding Guide - there are so many things that can be changed in the game, and techniques of doing so (some of them invented only by one modder and never used by anyone else), that it will never happen. However, a basic modding guide (something like Kael's one but up to date) would be a good thing.

Err, I'd been using the Post Reply & Preview Post to iron out the formatting for this thing here in the spoiler. Didn't realize somewhere along the line at the end I hit "submit reply". Ooops ! :)

Spoiler :
Some Advice and Guidance on <BuildingClass> Table Structure for Proper Hook-up to Certain Building Effects

With Particular Attention to Dummy and Hidden Buildings
XML and SQL methods​

As many more-experienced Mod-Creators already know, there are certain limitations to successfully getting Buildings to have an expected or anticipated effect in-game. Most of these limitations can be directly traced back to how a building is inserted into its corresponding Building-Class. In essence, without LUA intervention, the game will not allow certain kinds of building effects to "stack", or to be given at all via a building to which a specific civilization is not entitled from within a specific Building-Class. So, for purposes of this "guidance", the structure of a Building-Class includes not only the setting of the Default Building within such a class, but also the settings of all unique buildings from within the class that have been specified in <Rows> within the <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides> table. Any building that has been inserted into a specific Building-Class, and which is neither the DefaultBuilding, nor has been assigned to a specific civilization (via the <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides> table), will fail to give the effects to be discussed in this guidance.

Consider the following 'Mock-Up' Building-Class and the Buildings Assigned:

BUILDINGCLASS_TAVERN
Building Kind​
Building​
Correct Civilization(s)​
Extra Effect
Default Building​
BUILDING_TAVERN​
ALL BUT GERMANY​
NONE
Unique Building​
BUILDING_ALE_HOUSE​
CIVILIZATION_GERMANY​
+1 Tourism​

Only Germany would be able to make use of the Tourism effect within such a structure. By "such a structure" I mean that the <BuildingClass> Table and the <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides> table are entered as follows:
Code:
<BuildingClasses>
	<Row>
		<Type>BUILDINGCLASS_TAVERN</Type>
		<DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_TAVERN</DefaultBuilding>
		<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TAVERN</Description>
	</Row>
</BuildingClasses>
<Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
	<Row>
		<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_GERMANY</CivilizationType>
		<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_TAVERN</BuildingClassType>
		<BuildingType>BUILDING_ALE_HOUSE</BuildingType>
	</Row>
</Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
It would still be possible to assign via LUA a BUILDING_ALE_HOUSE to a city not belonging to Germany, but there would be no Tourism effect in that non-German city coming from the BUILDING_ALE_HOUSE. The opposite is also true: adding a BUILDING_TAVERN to a German city would not have the correct effects for such things as Tourism.

If the structure of the 'mock' building-class were as this:

BUILDINGCLASS_TAVERN
Building Kind​
Building​
Correct Civilization(s)​
Extra Effect
Default Building​
BUILDING_TAVERN​
ALL BUT GERMANY​
+1 Tourism
Unique Building​
BUILDING_ALE_HOUSE​
CIVILIZATION_GERMANY​
+2 Tourism​

Germany would get 2 Tourism for every BUILDING_ALE_HOUSE constructed, and every other civilization would get 1 Tourism for every BUILDING_TAVERN constructed. Contrary to some conclusions drawn and discussed elsewhere on the internet (and here on CivFanatics) it does not matter how many buildings within a class give Tourism (or the other effects that will be discussed later), it only matters if the building is correct for the civilization in question.

It is important to note that hereinafter whenever I refer to a civilization being "normally entitled" to a particular building within a class, or that the building is "correct for a particular civilization" , I mean by such a structuring of the Building-Class as it appears within the Database after all mods have loaded and made thier respective changes.

Issues With Effect "Stacking":

Certain effects, most notably Tourism, will not "stack" for multiple buildings added within a city. Then game simply refuses to assign the tourism effect of the 2nd+ building added to a city from within a single building-class. The inclusion of <NoLimit>true</NoLimit> within the definition of a building-class has no effect on this stacking limitation. This is the primary example of the "stacking" issue. A work-around for this limitation can be found here. Tourism does not appear to be the only problem-effect so limited, but at the current time I do not have an exhaustive list to offer of what effects refuse to stack. The following table, however, has been tested for the effects shown:
<Buildings> Column​
Stacks
<TechEnhancedTourism>​
FALSE
<Happiness>​
TRUE
<BuildingProductionModifier>​
TRUE
<WonderProductionModifier>​
TRUE​

I don't think it's possible to create a Complete Modding Guide - there are so many things that can be changed in the game, and techniques of doing so (some of them invented only by one modder and never used by anyone else), that it will never happen. However, a basic modding guide (something like Kael's one but up to date) would be a good thing.

I take kael's guide as "complete" guide. That's what i meant.

Graphic related things:

1. not using cropping and saving one icon inserted into original huge 8x8 template
(this unecessary increases file size 64 times!)

2. saving DDS files for UI (icons, splashes, etc.) with MIP MAPS
(mip maps increase filesize, but provide no any benefits for UI files).

3. saving DDS files for images without transparency with the compression which supports transparency
(eg. saving splashes for wonders as DXT3/5 while it should be saved as DXT1 - this doubles file size without any benefits)

I was under the impression that there were specific icons that needed mipmaps, at least according to that other icon size guide. It says all of the SV icons need it.

I was under the impression that there were specific icons that needed mipmaps, at least according to that other icon size guide. It says all of the SV icons need it.
It's probably a good idea to use mipmaps, but I've gotten just as functional results without them and just making the whole icon pure white.

DarkScythe ->
Mip maps are usually just automatically generated smaller sized variants of your main image saved in the same dds file. And mip maps are only used for things you can zoom in/out and change the level of details of textures. This works in such a way that if the object is further away from you, it doesn't need to use the main texture with greatest level of details, so it switches to lower resolution version from one of the mip map images.

In general all UI image files are "static" (pedia icons, wonder splashes, world and city view icons, etc.) - they have always the same size, can't be zoomed in or out, so they won't benefit in any way from mip maps. Not mentioning that the only benefits from mip maps are performance factors in opposition to loss of image quality.

SV icons are an exception rather than a rule here. SV icons can actually be zoomed in/out in strategic view, so that's why there are mip maps in dds files for them.

Though mip maps in general, as far as CiV is concerned, are not a critical thing. Even for SV_icons you may want not to generate them if you want to achieve highest quality of your icon. The point is that in Strategic View original images of SV icons are not displayed at all :] The game actually starts (in closest zoom) with displaying a blend of first and second mip map, then if you zoom out the game blends to third mip map.
If you don't generate mip maps for your SV icon then your main image will be displayed in Strategic View all the time, and usually will be slightly sharper and of better quality than the rest of icons (as generic mip maps are more blurred due to scaling the image down).

So, do the mipmaps actually affect the size of the icon, or only the quality of the icons?
I had thought (probably incorrectly, since I don't play in SV mode) that zooming in and out had the icons enlarge and shrink appropriately, which is why I went with the guide and added mipmaps to it, but if it stays the same size throughout, then I may remove them.

Mip maps increase file size on disk by usually 33%, and have lower quality than original image.
And your SV icons without mip maps will be resized in game properly, just it won't be replaced with lower quality mip maps.

Lucky for all of us, CiV is a "static" game, so we can go nuts with image quality (no mip maps, ARGB 8888 compression, etc.). And that's not true for other games like FPP/TPP (Oblivion, Skyrim, Far Cry, etc.) - well, you don't want to play Skyrim on GPU with 512MB memory or less with all textures in high resolution, ARGB lossless compression and no mip maps ;]

Top Bottom