The Touhou Mod Development Thread

Okuu and Eirin now are fully updated for the fall patch. Now back to figuring out how in God's name to do the things I want to do for Yuuka.

Well, I finally updated the Oni Clans for BNW and got around to posting it up on Steam. Here's hoping it all works properly, although in a game I played last night they seemed to have no issues keeping pace with Shaka while stomping on Genghis Khan. :p

Might take another look at the Human Village civ again, since with the inclusion of trade routes in BNW it's tempting to give them an emphasis on trade routes. (The Human Village is most famous for people coming and trading in town, after all.) Most likely I'd just do this through making the Village Shop somewhat like the Bazaar, giving a bonus for connecting trade routes to it.

Might also start working on the Forest of Magic again. I'm still not quite sure what to do with it... I don't want it to be too specific to Marisa, although I could simply give it a trait related to her (i.e. she stole the precious thing), while making the UU and UB more generically related to the Forest of Magic. I'm still somewhat tempted to return to the "modular" UB concept I had before, so I may give that a shot.

How're things going with Yuuka? One thought occurred to me... lately I've been playing with Barathor's "More Luxuries" mod, which includes Perfumes, which occur on the map as plots of rather pretty pink flowers. Admittedly, the Polder is already somewhat similar... but I was trying to remember if you'd played around with a UI for her, to help encourage the idea of blanketing her civ in flowers. Given that the farm bug has now been solved, it should be fairly easy to add a new UI, I think...

I had ALWAYS planned to give her a field of flowers as a UI, I just wasn't sure what it'd do. Culture is obvious, but, specifically, how to implement it?

And I still don't know how to give her the ability I want, which kind of saps my motivation to work on the other parts like dialogue.

edit: also I already gave her the best dialogue line possible and know it is all downhill from there.

Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_YUUKA_DECLAREWAR_1">
<Text>Let's play "Genocide". [NEWLINE][NEWLINE] You're "it".</Text>
</Row>

I went back and reread some of the older posts about the subject to refresh my memory on some of the ideas you had. I'd mostly brought up Barathor's luxuries mod because the Polder graphic always seemed a bit lame to me (just patches of color), while Barathor's mod actually has rather nice-looking clumps of flowers. But that's just a graphical issue, and using the Polder graphics for now (at least while testing) may be an easier road than trying to incorporate new graphics in.

I suppose the question is a bit, how synergistic should the civ be? For me, the idea of the Flower Fields being basically a Chateau, probably producing a smaller benefit in exchange for being able to be built more extensively seems good... but you did say that's rather similar to the Maoi. But then, it is a kind of limited design space. I might poke around to see what some of the other modders are doing with UIs.

Perhaps one option is to have them create happiness? Might be a bit tricky... I was thinking you could do it through a dummy building, but even then you can't generate happiness as a yield. You'd probably need to come up with some lua code to produce varying copies of the building each turn by counting the number of Flower Fields in each city's borders. It also would make it very easy to generate mass amounts of happiness, so I dunno.

For a start, I'd say just start with a basic culture/gold output, or culture/defense. Even if it's similar to existing UIs, it'll be unique within the group of Touhou civs.

As for the "Lotus Land Sovereign" idea... I do think it's really cool and just the name helps gel it a bit in my mind. Your best bet might be to poke around at some of the existing civs to see what some other people ahve done with captured/puppeted city states. Your best shot might be Lua code to check and see if a city is puppeted by Yuuka, and if so gives it a dummy building with a massive production boost? If you want her to be militarily aggressive, it might be your best bet.

I can understand your frustrations, though -- I've been getting back into the idea of working on some Touhou civs. The Human Village is practically complete, I just need to update it to BNW, so I've been starting to wonder on what to do next. I think I've found enough ideas for how I could give Kanako some faith-based traits (like a free pantheon), but I'm not quite sure what to do about a UB for her, and how science-based she should be. I'm also struggling with the Forest of Magic idea a bit, but it is rather tempting to try and do something with Makai. Between the tourism effect and the miasma I think there's enough to try and make a tourism/trade-based defensive civ. Another idea I've been considering is making a Myouren Shrine civ, which would be focused towards politics (particularly allying with city-states), with a bit of a faith factor. I'm not sure which people might find the most interesting for me to work on, though.

EDIT: Just took a look in the civilizations subforum to see what they might have, and going through LastSword's thread saw a number of civs that might have useful information for you. His Olmec Empire might be particularly helpful -- its trait has founded cities start as puppets, and gives puppet cities controlled by your empire Palace bonuses and no culture or science penalties. So it might be a starting point for Yuuka to give bonuses to her own puppeted cities.

On bouncymischa's suggestion/reminder, here's the testing version of the Mugenkan civ. The text, personality flavors, and some of the graphics aren't done (the Sunflower Field is still a polder, most of Yuuka's dialogue and preferences are still Eirin's), but it should be gameplay-complete and ready for feedback on balance and fun factor.

Her UA is +100% Production and Food from trade routes, her UU is the Flower Tank cannon replacement that can melee attack, ignores terrain cost, and doesn't set up to fire, and her UI is the Sunflower Field. I tried a lot of things for the Sunflower Field but what I am going with now is that it's +1 culture, +1 for every adjacent Sunflower Field, gets the Food bonuses from techs as if it were a Farm (Civil Service and Fertilizer), damages nearby enemies, and has an upkeep of 2 gold per turn. I wanted Yuuka to have big clusters of sunflower fields, without it being too overwhelming, so with the big upkeep cost you NEED to build them in clusters to be at all cost-efficient. They also can only be built on flat Plains and Grassland, so the presence of hills, flood plains, tundra, etc will determine where you're able to make effective SF clusters. Still worried it may be too powerful though.

If I might interject...

I don't think a siege engine fit's Yuuka at all. Little Shop of Horrors UU or UB definitely has synergy. I like the flower field UI idea, but I really don't lilke the maintenance or that it is a copy of the moai. How about it boosts food production of adjacent farm tiles, like the echelon mirror from SMAC?

If I might interject...

I don't think a siege engine fit's Yuuka at all. Little Shop of Horrors UU or UB definitely has synergy. I like the flower field UI idea, but I really don't lilke the maintenance or that it is a copy of the moai. How about it boosts food production of adjacent farm tiles, like the echelon mirror from SMAC?

Part of the problem with making UUs for Touhou civs is that there are very few examples to draw upon. It's tempting to make civs that have no UUs, but experimenting with some of them, it can become a bit bland. Conflict is one of the more interesting parts of Civ, and it's fun to have a UU to be able to take advantage of at some point. I do like the idea of a UI, so the UU and UI combo seems good for Yuuka, in my opinion.

Regarding the choice of UU's, while a siege engine per se may not really suit Yuuka, I do rather like the Flower Tank idea, although I probably would've preferred to see it as an actual replacement for the Landship or something. The "growing" nature of Yuuka's civ does suggest one that should come into its own later in the game, once it's been built up, and I can see a force of Flower Tanks being the tool of choice for a war of aggression. :p

As for the Sunflower Field itself, I did talk about it with Huitzil recently as he was putting the civ together. I'm not entirely sure about the Moai effect, myself, but I do like the idea of Mugenkan being a culture civ. Personally, I'd probably still favor a UI that was more like the Kasbah, providing a defensive bonus of some sort (the current attrition effect seems interesting) while providing additional culture, kind of like the Chateau, at the expense of occupying valuable real estate that could be used for farms. Admittedly, this then plays into the UA, as the improved food trade routes allow you to support cities with abundant flower fields. It's synergistic, but lacks a bit in tension and could make playstyle more monotonous. The current version creates food, but costs money, requiring you to decide whether to use your trade routes internally or externally. But that tension could end up breeding frustration, as you have to decide between the UI and the UA... so I figured it's best to try playtesting a bit, and see exactly how it plays out.

Anyways, those are some of my (admittedly) late-night thoughts on the matter.

If a field of flowers are going to incapacitate people, they should be poppies. Poppies will make them sleep. Anyway, I don't think attrition from the UI is the right way to go for any civ, because it encourages the player to fight in his own territory. That means not working the UI, and it puts those super food trade routes at risk. The siege engine UU and the defensive nature of the UI don't jive together. Furthermore, if the UA encourages using all my trade routes for super charged internal food and hammer routes, and my UI costs gold upkeep, how am I going to keep my gpt positive?

If a field of flowers are going to incapacitate people, they should be poppies. Poppies will make them sleep. Anyway, I don't think attrition from the UI is the right way to go for any civ, because it encourages the player to fight in his own territory. That means not working the UI, and it puts those super food trade routes at risk. The siege engine UU and the defensive nature of the UI don't jive together. Furthermore, if the UA encourages using all my trade routes for super charged internal food and hammer routes, and my UI costs gold upkeep, how am I going to keep my gpt positive?

Attrition from a UI might be appropriate for a Makai civ, at least, to reflect the miasma that fills Makai. (Arguably, a Makai civ wouldn't actually be in Makai, but represent colonies established outside of it... but I could see the denizens of Makai coming up with a way to defend their territory with something like the miasma). As for the flower fields, I'm not terribly familiar with Yuuka's fluff, but I thought there were suggestions the fields were fertilized with corpses and the like... so I can see the fields potentially having a harmful effect upon normal mortals. Arguably, though, I could see them having a defensive effect like the fort. Given Yuuka's reclusiveness, I do imagine Mugenkan being a bit more defensive than other civs.

As for the UA and the UI, that's why I mentioned the issue of synergy vs. tension in my previous post. A civ whose elements all work together towards a single strategy can be effective, but also become monotonous, as there's no real decision-making or challenge involved. Put the pieces together and go. On the other hand, if the civ forces the player to make hard choices -- do I build up my UIs for defence, and use my trade routes for gold, vs. building up my cities with internal routes while exploiting the UI less -- then it can be a greater challenge to use effectively. I don't know if there's any real one right answer to the issue -- it comes down to one's personal preferences for game design.

Personally, I'd see Mugenkan as a defensive civ oriented towards culture and growth. I'm not sure if the current design for the UI and UU are what I'd consider best, but I'm going to give Huitzil's current iteration a try first, and do my best to give him some useful feedback to use. :3

Yeah, my intention with the UI and UU was that they don't work perfectly together, making a bit of tension as you have to pick which one to favor. (It helps that I think both of them are REALLY good so if they fed into each other Yuuka would be pretty bonkers.)

I was/am worried about being too similar to the Moai, and some comparison is inevitable given the whole "more culture for each adjacent UI" deal, but here's my logic: I want Yuuka to have big, sprawling fields of sunflowers, and I want them to give culture, because that just makes sense to me and fits her into an "aggressively defensive" playstyle. If they give more culture for each field in a cluster, then that encourages you to make big clusters of them; to balance this out, there has to be a reason you can't just fill EVERY available spot with them. Giving it a hefty gold price makes it distinct from the Moai (which gives you gold), and ensures you need to think about where you put them down because they need to hit a certain critical mass to be cost-effective, and creates tension by making you pick between making heavy use of her UA or her UI. That's what I was thinking, anyway.

They damage adjacent enemies for a general "stop ing around with the flowers or you will be Master Sparked" kind of feeling, maybe they could have a defensive bonus instead. Actually, does the AI "know" how much money it gains from pillaging improvements? Since giving the UI no pillage value doesn't stop it from being pillageable, maybe I could go the other way around, and make it have a huge pillage gold value, meaning the more Sunflower Fields you have the more your opponent is tempted to attack and gobble them up.

Gah... meant to do this a few days ago, but better late than never, I suppose. Got the latest version of the Human Village civ uploaded onto civfanatics! You can download it here

It's pretty vanilla, but that kind of suits the Human Village...

UA: Agrarian Society - The first time you construct a Granary in a city, you get a free Worker. Pastures and Plantations generate an extra +1 Food.

UB: Village Shop - Market replacement. Bonus resources in the city's radius generate an extra +1 Gold.

UU: Youkai Hunters - Crossbowman replacement. Have increased sight range and indirect fire promotions. (Not sure about these guys... might change up the promotions to seem more like proper hunters. Perhaps the Scout's all-terrain ability...)

EDIT: With this civ pretty much complete, I'm thinking I'll start working on the Moriya Shrine next. I have a fairly good idea for their UU, and have been discussing ideas for UAs and UBs with Huitzil. The biggest challenge right now is going to be getting all the art assets done... X3

I had a good idea for a Hakugyokurou civ last night. I just dled VS and have no idea what I'm doing, so if anyone wants to make it go ahead.

UU: whisp, replaces worker, ignores terrain penalty, can move over mountains
UB: Twilight Pavilion national wonder, requires garden in all cities (maybe amphitheatre), +2 culture, +2 faith, 1 art slot. Whenever a great person is expended by another civ, this city gains 10% of the points required for a great person of that type.
UA: Netherworld, gain food equal to 25% of enemy unit's combat strength when killing a unit

Well, Yuuka's UI is just too good as it is. The Moai building restriction means that there's never a Moai adjacent to 6 other Moai spitting out 7 culture on its own, which is possible for Sunflower Fields; having more than one of those mega-clusters means you will win the game by culture victory very, VERY soon after you research refrigeration and get Hotels. So back to the drawing board.

I worry if I give it a "no adjacent" restriction then it's too much like the Chateau, but if I don't, then it's going to end up like a UA that says "+1 Culture from Farms". If you can't have huge sprawling fields of multiple SFs, making them things you have to protect seems like the next best thing, but then how do you make it so they actually are placed in positions where protecting them is difficult, instead of just loading up by your capital? If they were no-adjacent, gave bonus Food AND Production AND Culture, but cost money and took a long time to build/repair, and could only be built outside or right next to your borders, that would be an interesting gameplay dynamic forcing you to expand, but I have no idea how to justify it in-story, and it would also end up with you unable to build many near your capital, which seems wrong.

Any thoughts?

Sorry I haven't had a chance to try it out yet... been so hectic here lately. Most of my downtime has been spent just doing my own coding on the Moriya Shrine... ^_^;

Anyways, just at a glance... I'm personally a fan of simpler game design, so I'd probably prefer to stay away from a super-complex UI. I suppose I'm still in favor of a simple base culture (maybe gold too) UI, that doesn't give any food bonuses -- that way, you have to decide between expansive fields of culture-generating flowers, and farms. This does mean there's less tension between the Food bonus from internal trade routes, but it still does leave Mugenkan as being somewhat unique visually and in playstyle as being one of the more culture-oriented Touhou civs.

Another advantage making a (for now) generic improvement has is that we may be able to find another way to make it cooler. I remember one of the civs that was still under development I saw had a UU that could enhance the output of the UI (Leugi's Tiwanaku civ). While I do still like the Flower Tank UU, maybe we can modify Yuuka's trait so that Workers can have an extra action that can 'enhance' the output of the fields, so that you would periodically have your Workers tending them?

Hey, how about something to do with the symbiotic relationship between bees and flowering plants? An apiary UB that interacts with the flower field somehow, possibly a honey unique lux.

Maybe an apiary UI can be constructed on calendar luxes and give honey instead of yet another cotton that would otherwise be impossible to trade. And flower fields can only be built next to an apiary. Take the honey lux out of the apiary and it becomes an even bigger opportunity cost. Then again, that makes a huge part of the civ dependent on the start location.

What if Yuuka's flower fields were not a normal improvement, but something that had to be constructed by a one shot work boat on land? That would put a brake on how fast they could be constructed. Probably not enough to stop the explosive tourism growth at refrigeration.

Has anyone considered remaking the Kappa Civ? Or then for that matter perhaps a Civ based off of the Taoists from Ten Desires perhaps? Faith based?

Or failing that maybe Suwako's kingdom before Kanako came around?

I'm just tossing ideas out since I'd be glad to have more 2hu Civs to play about with. :>

Any reason these aren't on the Steam Workshop either? Err, the Human Village I mean.

Has anyone considered remaking the Kappa Civ? Or then for that matter perhaps a Civ based off of the Taoists from Ten Desires perhaps? Faith based?

I'm just tossing ideas out since I'd be glad to have more 2hu Civs to play about with. :>

Any reason these aren't on the Steam Workshop either? Err, the Human Village I mean.
Well, cause the Human Village and Mugenkan aren't done, so they aren't ready to be released.

The Kappa civ was Apolodog's; I didn't much like it but Apolodog made it clear it was what he wanted and it would be incredibly rude to just remake it without his permission.

And I had an idea for a Toyosatomimi no Miko-led civ, except I don't know if it's doable, and in all honesty I don't like the TD crew enough to really get motivated to go digging into it. "Ten Desires: Double (or +50% or whatever) City-State Influence from Quests. All City-States have one additional Quest active at all times." I think Miko should definitely be a CS/Diplomatic civ, giving her a quest-boosting bonus makes sense with her "hearing ten people at once" making requests of her and such.

Ah, I see. I was a little sad when the Kappa mod poofed, I was fond of the Civ even if it was a little mediocre. Kappa's are pretty cool.

Beyond that though, I'm glad with any new Civs from 2hu being created. Was about to try the Human Village before I had to hop off. I'm sure that all of the different potential civs have been discussed before though, heh. Celestials or Higan for the Yama.

Yeah, the Human Village is basically at the "testing" phase right now -- I think I still need to do the basic diplomacy dialogue, and I'm still considering changing the promotions the UU has. Once I've gotten some feedback on it (or at least, don't see anyone objecting strenuously to it) I'll move it up to getting published on Steam.

In terms of ideas that I'm either working on or have at least discussed with people:

Moriya Shrine -- I've already gotten most of the code for this laid down, although I need to get working on the image files I need so I can test it. Currently the Moriya Trait gives science and production to the Shrine and Temple, the UB is an Observatory replacement that provides faith, and the UU is a Swordsman that doesn't need iron and gets a bonus to combat power that increase the more faith you generate. I still need to get it to the testing stage to see if the trait is workable or not; I've discussed some alternatives with Huitzil, and one alternative is to have Mountains generate faith and science...

Myouren Temple -- Another faith-based civ. Talking with Huitzil about it, I'd like it to be a kind of diplomatic/influence civ that tries to befriend city-states and gain influence over them (and thus is a rival for Toyosatomimi's civ, which would have the same goals). I'm still not quite sure how to do it, so it's still sitting on the drawing board.

Makai -- I'll admit to being rather biased by Highly Responsive to Prayers here, but I couldn't help but think of Makai as a trade and Tourism civ, focused on a small number of cities that would basically be communities that grew up around the gates to Makai. The UB could be a Makai Travel Agency, replacing the Hotel. A UU might be kind of difficult, since there isn't much in the way of "demonic" units to use... but there is an existing "dragon" model, so I was considering a cavalry replacement that could fly, giving them a military advantage in the late game. In my experience, winning a tourism victory requires defeating your biggest cultural rivals militarily, so a late-game military unit would be helpful for them. I'm not entirely sure how the trait would work, although something referencing the miasma would be interesting. Perhaps a defensive attrition effect around their cities. Alternatively, they could be designed to prosper in harsh terrain no one else wants -- Makai is an unforgiving land. Another idea I've tossed around is something to do with the crystal growths that exist in Makai as some form of UI, perhaps producing Tourism in the late game. There's lots of neat ideas and most of them may be easy to implement, so I may work on them next after Moriya.

Magic Forest -- I've tossed around ideas for this before, but still not certain what direction to take it. It's one of those instances where you wonder exactly what focus to give the civ. Marisa is the most notorious resident of the Forest, and it'd be easy to use "Stole the Precious Thing" as a trait... but given that Alice and Rinnosuke both inhabit the forest as well, I can't help but wonder if it should have a broader focus. I still like the Atelier UB idea, with some kind of modular ability to reflect the different residents of the forest. Since I'm still not certain what to do with it, I haven't gotten very far with it.

I believe Hakugyokuro was discussed at one point, but not sure if any concrete ideas came from it.

I know Huitzil and I once discussed making a Hakurei Shrine civ... but it's one of those civs that's hard to decide exactly what to do with. Personally, I like the idea of it being a trade civ -- make Donation Boxes in all of your cities, rack up the wealth, get rich! But given Reimu's reputation for being impoverished and the difficulty in reaching her shrine... it may not be a good reflection of her. On the other hand, I can't help but imagine an offense and trade civ would be the result if you put Reimu in charge of an actual country... :p

Celestials or the Yamas could be interesting, although I'm not sure how they develop. I suppose the Yamas would tend to denounce people frequently? :p I hadn't really thought about them before, but I'll see if anything percolates in my mind for them.

Anyways, those are some of the ideas that I've tossed around. As I mentioned, the Human Village should be ready for publication soon, and the Moriya Shrine is probably around 50% complete. I suspect I'll want to try to do Makai after that, as it's the one I'd feel the most confident in being able to finish next...

Perhaps give the Yama a Civ-wide bonus or something for denouncing, just like Mami gets a bonus for Friendship in the Madoka mod? That could be neat, and very trollish.

Top Bottom