Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

I will try to explain the Ceremony problem further:

The text key that you put into the Title column of the PolicyBranchTypes table is used to address the leaders in the game, depending on the branch they adopted recently. It uses a special format, you can find some examples of it in JFD's posts, as well as by checking the existing text keys that are used for titles (you can view the localization-merged database just like the debug database, but don't run the game when it's opened).

I'm definitely going to have to give this a try later. I'm pretty sure at this point I won't even look at Beyond Earth because between the Base Game and all of the incredible mods I'll never stop being entertained.

I made a little "modmod" for my personal use, which makes some fixes and changes to this mod. It delayed my own mod a little, but it's not wasted time - I learned how to set up some economical parameters of the game to achieve the results I want, and I'm testing some features that will be used in my mod, mainly the happiness system. In the process I found some bugs and things that need improvement in this mod, which I will list here:

1. You should resequence the table IDs, as described in this thread. Actually I haven't found any problems caused by not doing this, but I think it should be done just in case. (In case of Technologies I ordered them by ID, not by GridX as suggested there.)

2. There are some content left in the non-ID tables, in this case it really causes problems. This content should be removable by the DeleteMissingReferences XML tag, but I never really used it, so if someone knows how to do it, please post about it here. I just deleted "manually" the content that causes problems:

a) In the Belief_BuildingClassFaithPurchase table, there are non-existing beliefs and non-existing buildings referenced, which can cause a crash after an AI founds a religion. I used the following SQL code:

Code:
DELETE FROM Belief_BuildingClassFaithPurchase
WHERE BuildingClassType NOT IN
('BUILDINGCLASS_CATHEDRAL', 'BUILDINGCLASS_MOSQUE', 'BUILDINGCLASS_PAGODA');

b) The link between Ballistics and Radar techs causes the civilopedia code when viewing the Ballistics tech to fail, so you need to remove it:

Code:
DELETE FROM Technology_PrereqTechs
WHERE TechType = 'TECH_RADAR' AND PrereqTech = 'TECH_BALLISTICS';

3. You should really check the logs, in database.log you will find some errors, as well as in lua.log. Also, running the game together with the FireTuner will reveal additional Lua errors related to the code responsible for the UAs of some civs.

4. Many new units in the game don't have strategic view icons

5. Some of the "masqueraded" strategic resources don't have appropriate base yields and yields from improvements and buildings:

a) Limestone should have extra production from Quarry (and also it should work with Stone Works and Mausoleum)
b) Dyes should give gold instead of production, and extra gold from Plantation/Dye Workboat
c) Pigs should give food, and extra food from Camp, perhaps also +1 production from Stable, like Horses, Cattle and Sheep

6. Other minor issues:

a) Throne Room still gives the Morale promotion to units, which is not mentioned in the description
b) Tower of Babel doesn't give bonuses to Writers and Musicians
c) Great granary should be called "Great Granary"
d) Fresh Water Farms get a food bonus from the Civil Service tech twice. I changed it so it gives +1 at Irrigation and +1 at Civil Service.
e) The Eureka! policy gives 1 free tech, but the description says it gives 2
f) The Sculpture policy doesn't seem to have any effect (it should give +1 culture from Pottery Shop)
g) The leader subtitle text key for Adminus is missing
h) Cantiaci should start along ocean
i) The tooltips for eras (in game setup) still refer to the unmodded era names
j) Some pictures of city state leaders have bad aspect ratio
k) The tech requirement is not checked when purchasing buildings for faith, so the Monastery doesn't really require Theology - you just need a religion to be able to purchase it.
l) Some of the reformation beliefs are useless because they refer to things that don't exist in this mod
m) I think the city strength is too high, I reduced it somewhat and now the AI is able to capture them more often
n) Some UU names that include the civ adjective cause this adjective to be displayed twice in unit tooltips - for example "Punt Punt Warrior" or "Hurrian Hurrian Archer"
o) Furniture Maker gives +3 happiness - isn't it too much?
p) You get a Qanat for free instead of Aqueduct for finishing the Health policy tree. I checked the DLL source code and it checks the ratio of food kept to cost and gives you the building that has the best ratio, even if it's a UB. I changed the food kept for Qanat to 25, and now I get the Aqueduct (Qanat is still a good UB due to other bonuses it gives). But it can be disadvantageous when you play as the civ that has the Qanat UB and you get Aqueducts...
q) One belief and two UBs (Mint replacements) refer to RESOURCE_COPPER instead of RESOURCE_ALUMINUM
r) You don't get production for removing forest when building some improvements, like Plantation
s) There are two technologies that enable open borders - Diplomacy and Civil Service. I think one is enough (I removed it from Civil Service).

7. Suggestion - perhaps you can consider adding more recon units as upgrades to Scouts...

Also there are some minor inaccuracies in the descriptions, I will post them later if you're interested.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. I really appreciate the feedback. I was aware of the lack of strategic view icons, which will (eventually) come in. Strange about the eureka! policy, as that was simply a name-change and nothing else...I'll have to look at that!

I will be (I hope) updating the game in about a fortnight (as I am completely booked out with RL in the meantime) but the first thing I'll do is systematically go through what you've sent and apply it. I would be interested in the minor inaccuracies in the descriptions - please let me know what they are.

Thanks again, it is most appreciated - mainly because it's not your point of view vs mine but actual, practical areas of the mod that need to be improved.

Strange about the eureka! policy, as that was simply a name-change and nothing else...I'll have to look at that!

I checked it again, and I was wrong, actually Eureka! increases the science from research agreements, and Rationalism Finisher gives a free tech. But it doesn't change the fact that the description is not true. Seems it was changed in BNW or in one of the patches and you still assume it's like it was before.

Another serious problem spotted!

The problem was that I had Spices near my coastal cities and couldn't build Docks. It took me some time to find the solution but I did it - one of the Defines is
Code:
NUM_BUILDING_RESOURCE_PREREQS
which is set to 5 in the base game. Setting it to 7 fixed the problem - looks like it means the maximum number of different resources that can allow a building to be constructed. The Dock and its UBs have 7 such resources, so the last 2 ones (Salt and Spices) didn't work.

Thanks for all your work Rob. I really enjoy the G&K version of your mod and am really looking forward to the BNW version!

I'm an A Grade Lurker, but I had de-cloak for this one. I'm following this quite closely and hope to play it out with the BNW version. I've always loved the mods which start & finish in the ancient era, and this one looks like ending up being a classic. Good luck with your endeavors.

Just downloaded your mod two days ago and payed all day yesterday. It's fantastic, really.
I had a CTD , should I load the file here?

Just downloaded your mod two days ago and payed all day yesterday. It's fantastic, really.
I had a CTD , should I load the file here?

You can do; it'd be great to know what you've found out about the crash as well please - were you running it with any other mods? At what point in the game did it happen? Which civs were involved?

If it's one turn after an AI civ founds a religion, the cause is described in my post #25 point 2a :)

If it's one turn after an AI civ founds a religion, the cause is described in my post #25 point 2a :)

OK. is there an "easy" way to correct my files and continue my game? I see that you execute an SQL script to correct the database, what type of database is this?

You can make a simple mod that contains only this SQL code, and add Anno Domini to its dependencies. Or just add that code to an SQL file within the Anno Domini mod.

You can make a simple mod that contains only this SQL code, and add Anno Domini to its dependencies. Or just add that code to an SQL file within the Anno Domini mod.

it worked perfectly, thanks again :)

Anno Domini has been updated! The link is in post #1 and a list of changes are in post #2. Thanks to everyone who has posted, especially PawelS, whose long list of changes have been (in the most part) incorporated.

I am planning a holiday of two-and-a-half weeks at the start of August and will use some of the time to get another update done, this time more comprehensive, with a couple of new civs, like Israel and Vietnam, plus some of the more time-consuming little bits, such as the strategic view icons.

Please test this out in the meantime. It works as a complete mod; there are still bits to do in order to improve it, but it stands well as it is at the moment. I welcome all suggestions and bug finds!

@PawelS: I will look to incorporate an upgrade to the scout with "Epic journeys". Any other suggestions, such as what extra this scout could do, if there needs to be a further upgrade, if the tech to upgrade feels right etc, would be welcome.

Top Bottom