Azure Ace Starburst, v0.1 Beta

Anywhere.
You're not replacing anything because you are trying to create a brand new Building Class for the game to use. Just stick it on the top of your Buildings file, or something, just to make sure that you'll be guaranteed to have your Civ update the database with it.

Note:
When I say stick it at the top.. I don't mean literally at the top.
Between the <GameData> and your first <Buildings> tags.

There are too many idiosyncratic oddball conditions wherein not stating a <Description> tag of some kind where a game table provides such a column can cause bizarre civilopedia behavior or simply lock-up specific player "overview" screens.

If you omit a <Description> tag from <Buildings>, and your building has an EspionageModifier effect, that will lock up the Spy Panel Screen as soon as you enter the Renaissance Era, for example.

I no longer advocate omitting the <Description> column for any game element (Building-Class, Building, Unit, Unit-Class, Belief, Policy, what-have-you) that allows one.

Generally I think it is better in the <BuildingClasses> and <UnitClasses> tables (at least) to specify NONE for <DefaultBuilding> and <DefaultUnit> than it is to use either of these methods:
Code:
<DefaultBuilding/>
<DefaultUnit/>
But I have no specific instance in mind to point to where the <DefaultElement/> method causes troubles.

[...]
But I have no specific instance in mind to point to where the <DefaultElement/> method causes troubles.

I can speak from experience. Things will break.

There are too many idiosyncratic oddball conditions wherein not stating a <Description> tag of some kind where a game table provides such a column can cause bizarre civilopedia behavior or simply lock-up specific player "overview" screens.

If you omit a <Description> tag from <Buildings>, and your building has an EspionageModifier effect, that will lock up the Spy Panel Screen as soon as you enter the Renaissance Era, for example.

I no longer advocate omitting the <Description> column for any game element (Building-Class, Building, Unit, Unit-Class, Belief, Policy, what-have-you) that allows one.

Generally I think it is better in the <BuildingClasses> and <UnitClasses> tables (at least) to specify NONE for <DefaultBuilding> and <DefaultUnit> than it is to use either of these methods:
Code:
<DefaultBuilding/>
<DefaultUnit/>

Now you tell me!

Since the moment I posted my last post, I'd been playtesting my mod.

Buildings work fine, the Unique Units aren't showing up in my Build/Buy Menu but I can get at them and build/summon them from the IGE. My building is awesome, I'm testing it on Deity mode and I'm in the Industrial era. And yes, my Spy Screen locked up the second I reached the era you mentioned.

If your UU's are not available, you need to doublecheck your defines for them, and also make sure that you're actually at the tech level required for them to normally appear. I checked briefly, and at least one of them requires Combined Arms.

As for the Spy screen locking up -- yeah, this is why I recommend against AW's suggestion of setting an empty column.
This should be proof that I used this myself in the past, but I no longer do so because of random issues and errors I ran into throughout my development process.

If your UU's are not available, you need to doublecheck your defines for them, and also make sure that you're actually at the tech level required for them to normally appear. I checked briefly, and at least one of them requires Combined Arms.

As for the Spy screen locking up -- yeah, this is why I recommend against AW's suggestion of setting an empty column.
This should be proof that I used this myself in the past, but I no longer do so because of random issues and errors I ran into throughout my development process.

Combined arms?! I thought I replaced that line with the POTTERY technology! And when I tried that but it still wouldn't let me make and produce Ace Tanks or Regent Clones, I tried MATHEMATICS. Still didn't work.

Well, I just took a look through your Units file.
You really need to clean that one up, there are so many things in there that could cause potential problems simply for being there and confusingly left blank.

Your Regent unit has this defined:
Code:
<PrereqTech>TECH_COMBINED_ARMS</PrereqTech>
<ObsoleteTech>TECH_METALLURGY</ObsoleteTech>
Which is very curious.
Your Regent is set to unlock at Combined Arms, yet it obsoletes at Metallurgy -- well before it even gets unlocked! In effect, you're telling the game your Regent has become outdated several eras before they are set to appear.

Everything is fixed!

...Except for one thing. The game starts off fine, the unique building doesn't show up in the start menu but I can still make it...

...Aaand...

When I play the game, conquer a bunch of enemy cities and puppet most of the states... I get that glitched-HUD thing I got back when my CML files were set up wrong. However, the game still works fine and I can still play it, I just can't tell what my cities are named, and the "Bombard nearby enemy" option is always on.

Check your Building's Tech requirements and stuff, just like with your units.

I can't really say what's going on with your HUD problem, as it could be related to other mods, maybe? And those template XML files are too cluttered to really go through line by line without going insane.

Why in the name of the nine hells is Ghandi suddenly a nuke-loving evil-plan-making Palpatine McEvilFace?

Seriously?

Is there a way to fix this?

Also, I've seen people on this forum who play Diety Mode as if it's nothing. If I uploaded the current version of my mod, would someone upload a video of them playing this game with my mod, and defeating Azure Ace Starburst?

Or should I wait, and first make a custom DDS screen thingy, along with custom diplomacy responses, a custom icon, ect?

If you want to "fix" it, you could just write a mod to update his Nuke flavor down.

I don't know about the Deity stuff, since I'm not good enough to play at that level, but I think the ones who do are typically the ones big on Multiplayer, since humans are far smarter than the AI.

Even then, it's not like Deity is any smarter than any other difficulty.. as far as I can understand it, Deity AI just gets an absolute ton of bonuses that the player doesn't have, so it's basically just a task of surpassing their bonuses.

With that said, I'd imagine you would probably want to have a more complete mod before having others play with it.

If you want to "fix" it, you could just write a mod to update his Nuke flavor down.

I don't know about the Deity stuff, since I'm not good enough to play at that level, but I think the ones who do are typically the ones big on Multiplayer, since humans are far smarter than the AI.

Even then, it's not like Deity is any smarter than any other difficulty.. as far as I can understand it, Deity AI just gets an absolute ton of bonuses that the player doesn't have, so it's basically just a task of surpassing their bonuses.

With that said, I'd imagine you would probably want to have a more complete mod before having others play with it.

More complete? What do you mean? Cutting down the UA to fit in the Choose Your Character screen? Adding in a unique Icon, Appearance, Diplomacy/talking responses, and fixing the Colour to be what I want it to be? (Blue background lined with orange borders)

More complete? What do you mean? Cutting down the UA to fit in the Choose Your Character screen? Adding in a unique Icon, Appearance, Diplomacy/talking responses, and fixing the Colour to be what I want it to be? (Blue background lined with orange borders)
I am pretty sure you will most likely get some more players after your civ is almost complete, yes.

I am pretty sure you will most likely get some more players after your civ is almost complete, yes.

Answer the question! What do you mean by 'More complete'? Custom music? A UU that fits in the small character-select screen? Unique art assets?

Answer the question! What do you mean by 'More complete'? Custom music? A UU that fits in the small character-select screen? Unique art assets?
Unique icons, final color, complete texts, leader scene, DoM...
Unique unit models are always cool, but of course not nessesary. Same with music.

Unique icons, final color, complete texts, leader scene, DoM...
Unique unit models are always cool, but of course not nessesary. Same with music.

Alright, cool. How do I get that animated leader thing to work?

And how do I edit the diplomacy responses to have custom responses? The files I've been using are blank.

Hey, how do I make it so I get bonus food from Farms, and I start off with a certain amount of Irradiation stuff?

Top Bottom