[Design] Mercenaries

The Mercenary system in Dragonia II I believe could be expanded into a very intracite system. Mercenaries should be added into the system so that you can hire them via ethnic group. These ethnic groups should have specalites over your own for example if your a Dwarf and you need a unit thats specalized in killing Drow then you should be able to hire a specific unit for that task. This makes certain mercenary units more important than run of the mill troops.

Lets say your playing as a Goblin and you are geographically located next to Drow elves, a certain amount of Drow population enters your city you can hire them as mercenaries. Or if a guild is influenced by a certain country then whatever country it came from should be able to sell and buy mercenaries with you. This would also strenghten in particular the mercenary guild perhaps offering a wider market or its own market of mercenaries.

You should also be able to hire mercenaries politically if you cant have them as a physical part of your population. If you go to war with a country that your mercenaries belong to then you should lose that unit unless you are hiring from a population in your city. This means that if you invest tons of your spending into foreign mercenaries then you would need better realtions with that country in order to keep thoes mercenaries. So if you wanted to hire units from the other side of the map then you should have to at least be at peace with that country. This also affects the amount of mercenaries from different countries, obviously your country should be the highest number you can hire from. Next would be your neighbors and so and so forth. Mercenaries from the other side of the globe would be more rare and more expensive then local mercenaries.

If the idea of your mercenaries quitting your army is unpopular then you could have it exclusive to the nationalim civic. Under this you should have an advantage on your home grown troops and mercenaries. At the same time you should have a higher monatery cost for foreign mercenaries and maybe even add one unhappiness in your city's per foreign mercenaries.

One thing I think is annoying(I got stomped by mercs very quickly in a testgame - they put you in peril too fast during the gamestart where a new player- like me- first tries to figure out what are the options) is that the mercenarysystem is enabled from the start. It should be made available with a tech like currency later in game.

One thing I think is annoying(I got stomped by mercs very quickly in a testgame - they put you in peril too fast during the gamestart where a new player- like me- first tries to figure out what are the options) is that the mercenarysystem is enabled from the start. It should be made available with a tech like currency later in game.
In the future, I plan on having mercenaries not be available in your civ until the Mercenary Guild is present there. That should solve that issue.

In the future, I plan on having mercenaries not be available in your civ until the Mercenary Guild is present there. That should solve that issue.

So, wat is the prerqs for the merc guild? Wat tech? And I assume a generic unit like the merc in FfH, right?

Top Bottom