Religious Buildings Art thread

woodelf

Bard
Retired Moderator
winddelay and I are currently trying to finish up the 32 buildings needed for the various religions in Dragonia. I'll try to breakdown what's done and what's needed, both for us (win and I) and everyone else. A good portion are done, but need shadows before the final release.

Nerull

Shrine - Most likely use an existing model, maybe my crypt from 06.
Temple - done, needs shadow
Crypt of Souls - winddelay is making a new one. Use for old one?
The Necropolis - win is making a new one.

Gruumsh

Shrine - need simple model or an existing one might be good enough
House of the One Eye - done, needs shadow
Iron Fotress - done, needs shadow

Lolth

Shrine - done, needs shadow
Guilladirth - done, needs shadow and to be uploaded.
Web of Spider Queen - done, needs shadow

Corellon

Temple - need more info. Potentially use existing model of hrochland or from FfH2
Seldarine Temple - done, needs shadow
The Great Tree - done, needs shadow

Hextor

Citadel of Strife - done, needs shadow
Iron Sanctum - done, needs shadow

Moradin

Temple - need info
Hall of Moradin's Forge - started, not finished
Seat of Moradin - winddelay finished?

Pelor

Temple of Brilliant Reflection - done, needs shadow. Not uploaded yet.
Citadel of Light - done, needs shadow

Heironeous

Shrine - need info
Temple - need info
Bastion of Faith - done, needs shadow
Sanctum of Heironeous - need info

Some of the "need info" might just mean I need a reminder. ;)

Feel free to post ideas, additions, suggestions, ect.

The Sanctum of Heironeous is a large oval shaped structure completely carved from grey granite. The building is 3 stories high and sits alone among a low, man-made plateau, offering a glorious view of the city and its countryside from one of the many open arched windows that line its outer walls on all three floors.

A path approaches the structure from the west and begins a full circle of the perimeter, slightly wrapping inwards before actually reaching the lone entrance. The path is wide enough for a marching army to travel up or down, fittingly described as it is a slight incline as it wraps towards the entrance.

The doors of the temple are reinforced with iron to strengthen them against ramming and other siege weaponry. Large iron rings hang from each door, alerting those on the other side of some ones approach.

The roof has a small wall to keep the unfortunate few posted there from tumbling off during the night. Small ballistae line the perimeter focusing more on the gate and were they can reach over the wall. The entire roof is really just a path circling the are where the oval halls would be, leaving an open area for the courtyard to be subjected to the current weather.

The courtyard is an open roofed area, with grass and dirt patches covering the area, more grass than dirt. Where grass is present, it changes from a lush yet trampled green to a more dry yellow, also trampled. Dirt patches are mostly small, but two on either long end are present from the church practices jousting. This area is almost always filled with the clamoring of priests and followers practicing warfare, and sometimes offers tournaments which are publicly viewed. Stands are lined about the second floor, a large section for the general population and a small section reserved for the clerics.

That's a nice description, but it sounds like a city in itself! A lot of the elements can easily be done by themselves, but putting them all into a model that fits onto the map within a city will look funny. A 3 story oval building on a small mound is doable, but I'm concerned about what happens with the LSystem as other stuff is added to the city. I think the courtyard and tourney area would mess with the overall scale. I'll see what I can dream up.

For the LSystem selection, I would select a larger area, and in most cases, the Sanctum will then be located just outside of the city. The courtyard doesn't need to be made too detailed, maybe just a green lawn and stands on two sides. The stands could just be diagonal shape on the 2nd story, textured to look like benches.

Found this description in Races of Stone:
A Temple of Moradin is an impressive building. The roof is little more than decorative panels hung from the beams that stretch overhead, and the walls are covered with bas-reliefe sculptures portraying the legends of Moradin and his wife, Mya. At the back of the temple is a giant, elaborate forge that never goes dark. This forge is the altar of Moradin, where all rituals and religious celebrations are held.

Lets make the Forge portion of the building round. Make the main portion of the building rectangular with a flat roof. For the textures, make it look like grey stone with bas-relief sculptures. Have the front door be open.

I found a description of the Temple of Corellon:
d20 World of Greyhawk Board said:
The temple dedicated to Corellon Larethian, called the House of the Creator by many, takes the form of a great domed structure, with soaring minarets and towers and a main entrance flanked by two obelisks of black marble.

For the temple of Moradin how about something like this:

Which part? Not the ropes and stuff I hope.

Honestly, I can't tell what that pic is. Can you post a link so I can read about it and make sense of it.

The Temple of Corellon description is nice, very helpful.

Top Bottom