Random Rants XIII: I don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thats very offensive.. telling people they're going to hell.
I don't think people have the right to not be offended.

Because preaching religious inspired hatred on a secular campus shouldn't be allowed. This isnt a private or religious university.

I agree even as a Christian that something like that can seem offensive due to how aggressive it sometimes is, just realize that it's not usually done out of hatred but instead of concern for you (trust me on this one). If you think about it this way, no matter how much you despise someone's religious views, you can take a positive outlook. You can choose to disagree and move on with life, realizing they have free speech rights to say so, just as you do to not say so. That's part of living in a democratic society. :)

As a side note, I'm sick today, and it makes me feel miserable. :cry:

Secular hatred?

What?

Well thats very offensive.. telling people they're going to hell.

Telling people they are going to hell for being homosexual's, abortionists, sodomists, feminists, leftists, atheists, drinkers etc....(they had a big board with a long list of words) and that they deserve it and are scum unless they repent is offensive.

Not really something that should be tolerated on a secular public campus.

I agree even as a Christian that something like that can seem offensive due to how aggressive it sometimes is, just realize that it's not usually done out of hatred but instead of concern for you (trust me on this one). If you think about it this way, no matter how much you despise someone's religious views, you can take a positive outlook. You can choose to disagree and move on with life, realizing they have free speech rights to say so, just as you do to not say so. That's part of living in a democratic society.

I am touched. Now excuse me I need to go and redeem my one way ticket to hell.

Probably. Not the greatest PR move.

I wasted 90 minutes of my life watching The Ruins.

What?

Telling people they are going to hell for being homosexual's, abortionists, sodomists, feminists, leftists, atheists, drinkers etc....(they had a big board with a long list of words) and that they deserve it and are scum unless they repent is offensive.

Not really something that should be tolerated on a secular public campus.

I am touched. Now excuse me I need to go and redeem my one way ticket to hell.

aww,did they hurt your feeling? you want a hug?

Spoiler :
:rolleyes: its called free speech.

I don't think people have the right to not be offended.

No I guess they don't. But when its done in a large scale and organised basis like that, its inciting hatred.

No I guess they don't. But when its done in a large scale and organised basis like that, its inciting hatred.

The KKK has the legal right to preach "hate". The question is when and where.

aww,did they hurt your feeling? you want a hug?

Spoiler :
:rolleyes: its called free speech.

No its called hate speech and its not tolerated in most universities. I went back later today and they werent around so they must have gotten kicked out. Not the first time. There was another time some people were handing out bibles the uni security took care of them within an hour.

Not the first time. There was another time some people were handing out bibles the uni security took care of them within an hour.

That is forbidden on school grounds? Just handing them out?

Yeah this is just another European v American freedom of speech debate...

I'm just glad we don't have any Christian fundamentalists here. We all just agree to call ourselves Catholics/Protestants and generally not observe religion.

That is forbidden on school grounds? Just handing them out?

We take secularism seriously here. Theres actually a dutch reformed church somewhere on campus grounds and the uni has been trying to buy it and get rid of it for some years but they've been refusing to sell. One of my professors was talking about it at the start of term talking about how he would like to bulldoze it to the ground personally.

I recall one student objected and the professor asked him when the last time he went to church was and the student replied 4 weeks ago. And the professor said "Oh a true believer." :lol:

We take secularism seriously here. Theres actually a dutch reformed church somewhere on campus grounds and the uni has been trying to buy it and get rid of it for some years but they've been refusing to sell. One of my professors was talking about it at the start of term talking about how he would like to bulldoze it to the ground.

What a nice guy. Well, around here, the local (Baptist , i think?) sends a few old men up here to hand out tiny Bibles for free. I was happy cause i didn't have one for my dorm. They were so un-obtrusive i had to ask twice to get one. :lol:

EDIT: Crosspost

Wait, what happened? I couldn't find it in previous posts.

some evil chrisitians told poor Nordstream hes going to hell, can you believe that? hes a much stronger person than me, i would have already been contemplating suicide if someone told me that.

We take secularism seriously here. Theres actually a dutch reformed church somewhere on campus grounds and the uni has been trying to buy it and get rid of it for some years but they've been refusing to sell. One of my professors was talking about it at the start of term talking about how he would like to bulldoze it to the ground personally.

I recall one student objected and the professor asked him when the last time he went to church was and the student replied 4 weeks ago. And the professor said "Oh a true believer." :lol:

yes because securalism = erasing religion from the country, right?:rolleyes:

edit:also, why dont you consider what your proffessor is saying hate speech?

edit: crosspost :(

Well that doesn't sound like tolerance. Walk the talk boys.

I think maybe we are getting really off topic. So this is my last post here.

yes because securalism = erasing religion from the country, right?

Secularism means removing religion from government and public institutions.

Secularism means removing government supported religion from government and public institutions.

Fixed for you. People should be allowed to be religious on campus if they want to be. Otherwise you're no better than fundamentalists that would force you to act or believe according to what they decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom